Okefenokee Sunfish tank

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Fatman_*

Guest_Fatman_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

I can't find guppy grass around here, but hopefully I will have enough plants in here.

It looks like I will be going with either a regular 30 gallon or a 40 gallon breeder tank for this setup. The same person is selling them both for $40 a piece on Craigslist. The 30 gallon comes with a working light while the 40 doesn't. I was planning on buying a new light anyways though.
So far I have looked at everything from shop lights to Marineland's double bright LED light. I'm not quite sure what to get though.
The Marineland LED light only uses 8 watts of light and has blue lunar lights. It is supposed to deliver 600 lumens per watts and the light is supposed to penetrate deep into the tank. Though with the floating plants I don't know what will get through...
The other option though is a 36" T5 HO light that puts out 78 watts of light and comes with 2 6700K bulbs.

Any suggestions on which one to buy? The T5 light is going to cost $56 with shipping. The LED will start at $20.

#22 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:16 PM

Elodea and Anacharis are not the same thing... might be worth trying to get an actual species list.

#23 Guest_Fatman_*

Guest_Fatman_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

I bought the tank tonight. It is a 40 gallon breeder tank. I also plan on getting the T5 lighting for this tank.
So far this tank setup has cost me around $160 and that's before fish or any other cost that may come up lol.
Though in reality its not too bad though. Especially with what it could have cost me.

Tomorrow I will start to setup this tank. At least putting in the soil and sand. Plus some of the plants should start showing up tomorrow and if they do I will fill this tank partially up and put some extra lights that I have on them until the new ones comes in. All in all I'm pleased with how fast this tank is all coming together.

#24 Guest_Fatman_*

Guest_Fatman_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

ok.... so I lied lol
All that got done today was that I moved the 10 and 15 gallon tanks that were in this tanks new spot lol.

However it is still moving along.
The Frogbit and Salvinia cam in today. I am uploading pics now so I'll post them ASAP.
I bought 50 more pounds of sand from Home Depot. Had about 30 pounds left in the last bag. Of course not all of it is going in this tank though.
Went into a Petsmart next to the Home Depot looking to see if they had any small pieces of driftwood that I liked more than what we have at the store I work at. Instead I found 2 large pieces of Mopani driftwood on sale. They were originally $30 a piece. On sale and with my discount I got them for about $7 a piece... I was excited but kinda mad b/c I had just paid $9 for a "Medium" piece of Mopani and $10 for a decent sized piece and a small piece from the guy that sold me the tank.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll actually get to putting in substrate and everything. I should be receiving the bulk of my new plants for this tank tomorrow. If the tanks nowhere near ready I'll have to fill the 10 gallon I put the salvinia and frogbit in up more for a temporary home.

#25 Guest_Fatman_*

Guest_Fatman_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

Here's some pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

*edit*
So going with the Walstad Method (sand over soil), I am a little confused about what kind of soil to use.
I have read in a couple places that potting soil is better to use because it can provide more nutrients and allow for better plant growth. The site suggested a couple different potting soils, and then listed ingredients to avoid. The problem is that today while looking at some of the suggested potting soils i noticed that they had 1 or more of the ingredients I was supposed to avoid...
So basically I'm lost. I think I'm just going to try a little of a suggested soil mixed with soil from the backyard, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Fatman, 16 July 2010 - 12:35 AM.

#26 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:05 AM

I think I'm just going to try a little of a suggested soil mixed with, soil from the backyard

have you ever used any chemical in the yard for weeds or bugs?
if so do not use the soil from your yard.

#27 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

I think I'm just going to try a little of a suggested soil mixed with, soil from the backyard

True enough... but I have to highly recommend backyard soil... I have always just had the front yard treated by the chem lawn people to keep the neighhorhood yard watchers out of my face... but left the backyard without chemicals... red georgia clay from under the trees in my backyard has been wonderful substrate.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#28 Guest_Fatman_*

Guest_Fatman_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

Nope. The yard never gets treated with chemicals so I'm assuming that it'll be safe. Going to keep an eye on any build up of ammonia or nitrites from the soil before adding any fish too.

#29 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

Part of the point of using soil is that it already contains nitrifying bacteria. Not that it hurts anything to check, but I'd be surprised if you set up a tank with soil and dumped in a half cup of straight ammonia if you could see it on your test kit in the morning.

#30 Guest_Fatman_*

Guest_Fatman_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

Part of the point of using soil is that it already contains nitrifying bacteria. Not that it hurts anything to check, but I'd be surprised if you set up a tank with soil and dumped in a half cup of straight ammonia if you could see it on your test kit in the morning.

Wow! From what I read other places it was saying to watch out for ammonia from the soil. Part of the article was also on using potting soil though so I'm not sure.

So with work this weekend and the plants not getting in yet progress kinda slowed down a bit, but I plan on picking up the ghost shrimp for this tank early this week. Any suggestions for how many to put in this 40 gallon breeder?

#31 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:42 AM

Potting soil is pretty variable I guess. It might sometimes be sterilized, and might even be treated with ammonium compounds as fertilizer.

#32 Guest_Fatman_*

Guest_Fatman_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:12 AM

The articles I read suggested using Miracle Grow Organic Choice potting soil.
So I bought a small bag (8 quarts) of the potting soil and spread a very thin layer of it.
On top of that I put about an inch or so of some nice black top soil.
And then on top of that I spread out about another inch or so of washed play sand.

The tank is fill up most of the way with dechlorinated water and I added a dozen ghost shrimp to it tonight.

Tomorrow I plan on putting in the driftwood. Most of the tannins have leached out of it and I plan on running a couple small filters with
just carbon in them to get rid of the rest. Once the light gets here I will add the floating plants to the tank. The rest of my plants should get here by the weekend. Then its time to start thinking about getting the fish.

#33 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

I would be interested in seeing the layers and how thick they are in relations to the tank.

sounds like a good start!

#34 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:29 PM

I would shy away from most packaged potting soil products. In the case of Miracle- Gro (and many other brands), there isn't actually any real soil in the mix. No clay, silt, or sand. Just all organic material. In the case of the Miracle-Gro Organic Choice, I would be particularly hesitant - I looked to see what the "natural fertilizer" is that they use. Turns out to be pasturized poultry litter. Great in the garden, but very high in both nitrogen and phosphorus. I would not be surprised to see an algae problem result from it. I found the label for the product here: http://www.scotts.co...ePottingMix.pdf (Note that poultry litter really is great stuff for growing terrestrial garden plants - I put the waste from my chicken coop in the garden every fall and let it mellow over the winter.)

NVCichlids, I was very surprised when you said that your state prohibits hornwort. Perhaps the name is being used for more than one species? The hornwort I know is Ceratophyllum demersum. I was so surprised that I did a little looking up and found this nifty sheet on regulated Wisconsin aquatic plants: http://dnr.wi.gov/in...R40Aquatics.pdf It isn't listed, but maybe the sheet is out of date? Perhaps a call to your DNR would help you clear up whether you can legally have the plants you are looking for.

#35 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:19 PM

The articles I read suggested using Miracle Grow Organic Choice potting soil.
So I bought a small bag (8 quarts) of the potting soil and spread a very thin layer of it.
On top of that I put about an inch or so of some nice black top soil.
And then on top of that I spread out about another inch or so of washed play sand.

The tank is fill up most of the way with dechlorinated water and I added a dozen ghost shrimp to it tonight.

Tomorrow I plan on putting in the driftwood. Most of the tannins have leached out of it and I plan on running a couple small filters with
just carbon in them to get rid of the rest. Once the light gets here I will add the floating plants to the tank. The rest of my plants should get here by the weekend. Then its time to start thinking about getting the fish.

Tannins bring out the colors more in a lot of fish. It does soften the water a bit, but Elassoma are from boggy soft waters. I actually add more tannins to some of my tanks. Just thought I'd mention it.

#36 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

I would shy away from most packaged potting soil products. In the case of Miracle- Gro (and many other brands), there isn't actually any real soil in the mix. No clay, silt, or sand. Just all organic material. In the case of the Miracle-Gro Organic Choice, I would be particularly hesitant - I looked to see what the "natural fertilizer" is that they use. Turns out to be pasturized poultry litter. Great in the garden, but very high in both nitrogen and phosphorus. I would not be surprised to see an algae problem result from it. I found the label for the product here: http://www.scotts.co...ePottingMix.pdf (Note that poultry litter really is great stuff for growing terrestrial garden plants - I put the waste from my chicken coop in the garden every fall and let it mellow over the winter.)

NVCichlids, I was very surprised when you said that your state prohibits hornwort. Perhaps the name is being used for more than one species? The hornwort I know is Ceratophyllum demersum. I was so surprised that I did a little looking up and found this nifty sheet on regulated Wisconsin aquatic plants: http://dnr.wi.gov/in...R40Aquatics.pdf It isn't listed, but maybe the sheet is out of date? Perhaps a call to your DNR would help you clear up whether you can legally have the plants you are looking for.

I always have algae issues for the first couple of months. I use local organic potting soil, but have also used miracle grow organic potting soil. I just do regular water changes for the first few months and scrape some algae and then boom! the tank is crystal clear, the plants are growing like crazy and I rarely change the water, just top it off. In some tanks I will run a filter for the first couple of months and that makes the algae issue go by faster.

#37 Guest_Fatman_*

Guest_Fatman_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

I will keep an eye out for algae problems the first couple of months. I have a couple small filters (10 gallon filters that aren't running at full capacity) on the tank right now. Since there aren't any plants in there yet I'm just using them for a little bit of water movement and oxygenation for the shrimp. On the tannins, its not that I don't like the tannins, but I needed to soak the wood anyways (the small piece needed it to sink). io do like a little discoloration, but I'm not a fan of the dark tea colored water. Which is what the driftwood was doing to the sink water after a couple hours at first.
I got a chance to upload some pics.

This is the black topsoil over the potting soil. The potting soil was only enough to cover the bottom. Less than a cm in thickness.
The topsoil layer was a good bit thicker, but looking at it now I'd say it's probably just under and inch.
Posted Image

Here it is with the sand over the soil.
Posted Image

Here is the tank with water, driftwood and a rock (going looking for some more I might add later this week hopefully).
The heater is being taken out today. I was using it to bring the water up to room temp (about 76 F) so that the shrimp could be added.
With flash on.
Posted Image
With flash off.
Posted Image

#38 Guest_ScottLand_*

Guest_ScottLand_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

Looks good,Fatman!I can't waite to see it finished with fish/criters in it!

#39 Guest_Fatman_*

Guest_Fatman_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:58 PM

Thanks! Me either! I can't wait for it to be planted later this week.
So far there are a few shrimp that are fun to watch along with a couple snails. With my loaches and goldfish I couldn't find many good sized snails lol so I'll grab some from the tanks at work tomorrow to throw in.

It looks like I will have to wait a couple weeks to order the sunfish and killis. It's going to cost between $80 and $100 for all the fish that are going into this tank and with my financial situation right now I am going to have to wait atleast a couple weeks to order them.

#40 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

I keep least killifish and banded pygmy sunfish in a 20 g. long with 5-6 ghost shrimp and a bunch of snails. I have many fry of both fishes and the ghost shrimp have not taken much of a toll if any. I do drop in shrimp pellets every couple of days to keep them fed. Also I have a good amount of live blackworms living in the substrate, they are easy food for anyone who is hungry.
I use the Walstad method/ Natural Planted Tank. My levels are perfect when I do water tests. I only do partial water changes every 6 months or so. I use no filter or powerhead on this tank.
The key is heavy planting, moss, duckweed or salvia or water lettuce (the moss and floating plants with masses of fine roots provide breeding grounds for tiny creatures that fry eat), leafy plants, and a sand substrate. In tanks with gravel my fry numbers were low. I have read that they can get stuck in the gravel. The fry are extremely tiny. -Little specks really.
I have probably about 20 banded pygmies and 10 killis in this tank, no problem. I have pygmy killies in another tank with swamp darters. I like Pygmy Killifish. They are very docile.
In my experience plants are the most important part of an Evergladei set up, caves would just take up valuable planting space.
You know what they say about opinions though...
Enjoy!

I take it back about the Least Killifish not being an issue with this tank. I have tons of Least Killis now and the fry (I believe) are competing with the Banded Pygmy Sunfish fry for infusoria. It appears on my latest examination that my numbers of banded pygmy fry are down.
I think that Pygmy Killifish would be way easier to keep because they do not reproduce so quickly.
So I think the Pygmy Killis will be fine in your set up. I just wanted to add this latest observation in case anyone reads it and decides to go with least killis in a pygmy sunfish tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users