Elassoma Gilberti

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1023 replies to this topic

#181 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

I'm going to take the four swordtails out of the 55 gallon tank today, so that it's just an Elassoma gilberti and Betta splendens only tank. (The two male bettas aren't hurting anybody. But the swordtails are eating all of the blackworms).

Done! I took the swordtails out. I hope there are enough blackworms left to breed back up to a sustainable population.

#182 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:04 PM

The big male Elassoma gilberti finally felt confident enough in his new surroundings to venture into the visible part of the tank today. Photo:

Attached File  003resize.jpg   210.35KB   0 downloads
http://gallery.nanfa...er/003.JPG.html

#183 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

Awesome pic, Erica!

Brian

#184 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:22 PM

Thank you :)

Update: I removed the two bettas, so now it is an Elassoma-only 55 gallon tank. I am trying to move all of them over from the 10 gallon to this new, larger tank, and am finding more fish than I thought were in there.
One of the males is really cute, doing his wiggle waggle display among the ceratophyllum. I'm glad they're already feeling at home in their new environment. :D

#185 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:20 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm posting a short little video update of the tank. I saw a male dancing for another fish, so I caught it on tape. Here it is:

They seem to be pretty happy in their new tank. ^_^

Here is a video of one of the females, who just kind of floats around in the water like a ghost.

The females aren't the most exciting of fish... Of course, the male gilberti probably disagree.

Edited by EricaWieser, 30 December 2010 - 02:46 PM.

#186 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:46 PM

Edit:
Lol, I just now (all of these videos were taken less than 15 minutes ago) saw them spawning. The video I got was really bad, though, sorry:

Oh, that's an awful video. sorry, folks.

#187 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:59 PM

Woot! *does victory dance* One of my juveniles has shiny blue fins! Yay, the young in my tanks can grow up to be males :D
And this means they will show their gender at about four months of age. yay :)

Edited by EricaWieser, 30 December 2010 - 03:12 PM.

#188 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm posting a short little video update of the tank. I saw a male dancing for another fish, so I caught it on tape. Here it is:

I like how they pause occassionally and hold perfectly still. The first time I saw a video of them displaying, I thought the computer screen had frozen up. :laugh:

#189 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:46 PM

Update:
It's confirmed. That little fish is a male. :D

This is him:
Attached File  021resize.jpg   62.48KB   0 downloads
http://gallery.nanfa...er/021.JPG.html

These next photos are of one of my big males.
Oh, and this is the first time I've tried using flash on them. They hate it.
Attached File  019resize.jpg   54.99KB   0 downloads
http://gallery.nanfa...resize.jpg.html (That fish is saying, "Look at my dorsal fin. You're annoying me.")

But their blue really stands out.
Attached File  020resize.jpg   48.35KB   0 downloads
http://gallery.nanfa...resize.jpg.html (That fish is saying "Okay, you have a flash. I'm going away now...")

Edited by EricaWieser, 31 December 2010 - 11:00 PM.

#190 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:02 PM

I like how they pause occassionally and hold perfectly still. The first time I saw a video of them displaying, I thought the computer screen had frozen up. :laugh:

I agree. When I show people the video youtube.com/watch?v=5QNXjZNS5SY a few people thought it was a photo during the first few seconds. Then when it moves they are surprised. :)

#191 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:16 PM

Random photo:
Attached File  010resize.jpg   52.64KB   0 downloads
http://gallery.nanfa...ze_001.jpg.html
I think he looks like a tiger. :D

It's like they own the tank now, now that there aren't any other fish in it. They're not shy any more.

Edited by EricaWieser, 31 December 2010 - 11:17 PM.

#192 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

Here's a video of the pygmy sunfish. It's called "Three males, one female. Oh the drama"
It's available at 480p (the thing below is 360p) on the youtube host site.
I am thinking of getting an HD camcorder so these videos look a little better.

Edited by EricaWieser, 01 January 2011 - 02:14 PM.

#193 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

Your video skills are getting much better, and your tank and fish look great... but I must say as far as plot, this is a typical 'chick-flick'... the girl walks around all enticing, but uninterested while the guys are all so revved up they cant even walk (swim) straight.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#194 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

as far as plot, this is a typical 'chick-flick'... the girl walks around all enticing, but uninterested while the guys are all so revved up they cant even walk (swim) straight.

She's not just teasing them; I've seen them spawn. It's just that they do it really deep in the plants where I can't catch it on film. Hmm. There's no good way to word that without sounding like a creeper... *shrugs* The pattern seems to be that the males pick a spot in the plants, defend a square half foot of territory around it, and then entice passing females into their little nook by dancing. Then they spawn, or he attacks her. I don't really understand that part.

Well, anyway, here's an update: There are two new young males, not just one. I saw them both at the same time. :D

Edited by EricaWieser, 01 January 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#195 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

The pattern seems to be that the males pick a spot in the plants, defend a square half foot of territory around it...

Now that sounds like a guy movie... let see some aggression (just teasing, but I do know, and have seen, some defensive aggression between males for females, and for food / territory)... your doing great, keep doing it your way.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#196 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:01 PM

Now that sounds like a guy movie... let see some aggression (just teasing, but I do know, and have seen, some defensive aggression between males for females, and for food / territory)... your doing great, keep doing it your way.

The males do sometimes get aggressive. But I think because they have so much space (an entire 55 gallon tank) and unlimited food (a nice size blackworm colony), the aggression stays very low. I can't tell if the single rip in a few of the males' caudal fin is because of them dancing too much or because of a harsh nip from another male.

Last video of the day:

#197 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:12 AM

Does anyone know what this red mark on this female Elassoma gilberti is?
Attached File  008resize.jpg   138.33KB   2 downloads
http://gallery.nanfa...resize.jpg.html

Attached File  015resize.jpg   154.96KB   1 downloads
http://gallery.nanfa...ze_001.jpg.html

Edited by EricaWieser, 05 January 2011 - 02:15 AM.

#198 Guest_v369_*

Guest_v369_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

The new pics rock!!!!

#199 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:44 PM

It is the Red Mark of Death! Sorry about your luck.

#200 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

My guess would be a blood vessel leak. Hopefully it will heal on its own, unless it's an early symptom of some nasty infection or environmentally-induced illness, in which case Irate is probably right again. I haven't seen that in my Elassoma. Watch to see if she's still eating normally, though I guess thats hard to tell with a constant food supply. Also watch for abnormal (fast) breathing.

Edited by gerald, 06 January 2011 - 06:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users