Elassoma Gilberti

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1023 replies to this topic

#861 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

have you measured some water parameters?

It was unnecessary; the water smelled like a septic tank. I put the 10 gallon filter back on it last night, retrieving it from its place on the 55 gallon tank, and as the water in the 10 gallon tank swirled around it released a very foul stench that stunk up the entire room. This morning I went to go check on it and the snails, which had all been at the surface, have returned to the watery depths. The corbicula clams, the two of them that were in the tank, are definitely dead. I think what happened was that the duckweed built up to like two inches thick, blocked out the light from the rest of the plants, they rotted, and it got foul in there. Now, with the filter on, I can see into the tank and a lot of the plant life is decaying.

#862 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

Update: I saw a living fry in the 10 gallon! One must have survived the massacre.

Current photo of the 55 gallon tank: http://gallery.nanfa..._19_12.jpg.html
You can click on it to make it larger.

Edited by EricaWieser, 20 May 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#863 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

Since the ludwigia peruensis and proserpinaca palustris are dead and the ludwigia ovalis is apparently not growing any taller, I ordered some myriophyllum tuberculatum red online. I will post pictures of it and the tank when it arrives. More plants, more! The Elassoma fry will survive in the 55 gallon tank! (I am determined to make this work)

Current photo of the 55 gallon tank: http://gallery.nanfa..._19_12.jpg.html
You can click on it to make it larger.

Edited by EricaWieser, 20 May 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#864 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

Ah ha ha!
Problem: Baby Elassoma gilberti do not survive in the 55 gallon tank because there is not enough surface cover.
Problem: Two inches thick of duckweed blocks out all light and kills plants in 10 gallon tank, effectively shutting down its filtration capacity, making water inhospitable for fry. Some fry remain, which I wish to save.

Solution:
http://gallery.nanfa...20_002.JPG.html

Here's a photo of why the 10 gallon's plant filtration failed:
http://gallery.nanfa...er/012.JPG.html

#865 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

The 10 gallon tank smells like nothing again thanks to the filter I stuck on it.

The red plant I ordered, Myriophyllum tuberculatum red, arrived in the mail today. Here's a current photo of the 55 gallon Elassoma gilberti aquarium:
Attached File  tank 5.23.12.png   110.76KB   20 downloads
http://gallery.nanfa...d 2012.png.html
I think it looks a lot better with the red color.

Edited by EricaWieser, 23 May 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#866 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

Fry! Fry in the 55 gallon tank! I saw two when I turned on the lights just now. One on the very right hand side of the tank and one right in front of where I planted the Myriophyllum tuberculatum red yesterday (d'oh! I may have squished some. I patted down the substrate before burying the base of the plant). Their location three feet away (far apart) from one another suggests that they are two different batch of eggs, but their similar size and appearance date suggests they hatched around the same time (which suggests same batch of eggs).

I'm shocked that there are fry already and I just added the surface plants a few days ago. Maybe this means they were being produced all the time and are only now surviving? Or they were in there the whole time but only now are the shadows from the newly added plants are encouraging them to emerge from the background plants? It doesn't make any sense. Maybe I should do a once a month fish census, where I drain the tank and count all of the fish who are in there. I've been basing my theory that there are no fry on the lack of juvenile Elassoma gilberti. I only ever saw one fry before this morning in the 55 gallon tank since moving here. But were the fry dying, not being born, or what?
Hmm. I am watching the tank closely to see what happens to this batch of fry.

Edited by EricaWieser, 24 May 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#867 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

I usually rely on the shape of the females to indicate whether spawning has occurred. It's easier to tell in little 2 to 10 gal tanks with just 1 or 2 females, but even in a big tank with lots of females you should be able to see gravid and post-spawned females.
PS- want some swamp darters? I have about 5 i can bring on the field trip Sunday if ya want em. (Yes they might eat baby pygmies).

#868 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

I usually rely on the shape of the females to indicate whether spawning has occurred. It's easier to tell in little 2 to 10 gal tanks with just 1 or 2 females, but even in a big tank with lots of females you should be able to see gravid and post-spawned females.

Do you have any photos of pre and post spawning females so I can learn what to look for?

PS- want some swamp darters? I have about 5 i can bring on the field trip Sunday if ya want em. (Yes they might eat baby pygmies).

No thank you, but thanks for the offer :)

#869 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

Update: There's mosquito larvae in the 10 gallon tank. I'm not really sure how that happened, because until I saw the larvae if you'd asked me if there were mosquitos in my apartment I would have said "no". But I guess there must have been some. Ew.

Anyway, I stuck the female guppy in there. Maybe she'll eat them.

#870 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

Fry! Fry in the 55 gallon tank!

*facepalm* I'm such an idiot. They probably came into the 55 gallon tank with the scoops of duckweed.

#871 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

#872 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

Anyway, I stuck the female guppy in there. Maybe she'll eat them.

They're gone. Either she ate them or they flew away. I also don't see any remaining Elassoma gilberti fry in there (I think I scooped them into the 55).

Edited by EricaWieser, 25 May 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#873 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

I also don't see any remaining Elassoma gilberti fry in there (I think I scooped them into the 55).

I was wrong!

#874 Guest_Giannis_*

Guest_Giannis_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

Wow!They are beautiful!!!!!!It's difficult to find them in Greece... :(

#875 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:51 AM

#876 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

An Elassoma gilberti was cutely hiding in the red tiger lotus.

Posted Image
http://gallery.nanfa...opped image.jpg
http://gallery.nanfa... image.jpg.html

I forget the name of the person who taught me how to put the gallery hyperlinks into the text body so the image would display, but thank you thank you thank you :)
I had previously been very worried about having used the majority of my upload space, so I had stopped embedding images into my posts. With the gallery link thingy, I can host them on the NANFA gallery and then embed them in the post from there, so it doesn't use my limited embedding space. So I can post pictures! yay :D

#877 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

Posted Image

#878 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

Update:
I pulled seven fat little half inch long Elassoma gilberti from the [post apocalyptic] 10 gallon fry tank and put them in the 55 gallon tank. Then I put six female (d'oh) guppies into the 10 gallon tank. The 55 gallon tank is once again solely Elassoma gilberti. Don't ask me how many are in there; I thought there were three in the 10 gallon and there were seven.

#879 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

Update:
I pulled seven fat little half inch long Elassoma gilberti from the [post apocalyptic] 10 gallon fry tank and put them in the 55 gallon tank.

Correction: nine. I chucked the nasty mass of cladophora algae and was cleaning out the tank when I found two more. One was mere millimeters long and the other was practically an inch. These fish are like ninjas; they can be there and you never see them. Or cockroaches. You see one and there's really a hundred. Hmm, but that has a negative connotation, and I like these fish.

#880 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

Erica, nice shots of the E. gilberti hiding in the tiger lotus. Very cool stuff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users