Josh Blaylock's 125 gallon stream tank. Build and updates.

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:03 AM

No new updates on this. I had plans to finish the canopy this weekend, but it didn't work out. I'm glad I didn't screw down the back part of it as I'm going to have to have a wider board. Also, I'm having trouble finding the right kinda of black hinge. I will be getting the stand doors this weekend and I hope to have this stand/canopy done within a few weeks. This has been much slower going than I thought. But I'm trying to do this one right and the right the 1st time.

I thought I fixed the filter air probelm, but I'm still having issues. I'm thinking of buying a new one. I can't figure out where the air is coming in. The air coming in has slowed, but it still gets airlock.

#22 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

I finally got a little work done on the new tank build this weekend. The warmer weather and extra day off this week motivated me to do a little work on this. It was still a little cool for painting, so I brought the stand inside.

Stand: This is basically finished. The doors are completed for the front, but I won't be picking them up for another couple weeks. They will just need a few coats of paint and the stand will be done. I am going to mount 2 surge protectors on the back corner wall tomorrow, I forgot to pick them up today at lowes.

Front
Posted Image

Rear: I currently use a LED headlamp when working in my current stand, so I thought it would be a good idea to add some lights to this one.
Posted Image

Canopy: I have the boxed portion complete. I haven't painted it yet. The outside will be black. The inside will be white with a coat of gloss polyurethane for light reflecting and sealing. I have 2 dual lights to use inside. I am going to attach a plastic mesh to the open back to keep fish from jumping out. I think I will add a small CPU fan to run when the lights are on for extra cooling.

Canopy Front
Posted Image

Canopy Rear
Posted Image

Would it be best to screw the hinges in with short screws (the boards are 1x10 & 1x12), or should I drill through and bolt them on?

#23 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

For hinges - I would go with a piano hinge. Short screws.

For ventilation I like two fans - 1 on each end of the hood. 1 pulls air in, 1 pulls air out.

#24 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:44 PM

I plan on using those hinges. I had to order them online to get them in black. How loud are those cpu fans?

#25 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:58 AM

I plan on using those hinges. I had to order them online to get them in black. How loud are those cpu fans?

The larger they are the quieter.

P.S. You can get black hinges by spray-painting the ones you buy at Home Depot.

Edited by Irate Mormon, 02 January 2011 - 12:59 AM.

#26 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:08 AM

I'm concerned that it looks like the front half of your canopy is larger than the back half. When you open it up it will not be able to lay flat will it... I think it will hit the wall behind. Or are your hinges going to keep it open only at 90 degrees.

also are your lights going to attach to the front half or the back half? Easier if you keep them on the stationary back half. But then that is another reason why I keep the front portion smaller... so the lights can stay more towards the center (front to back) of the tank.

Agree with Irate on the hinge... I know you are going for all black look, but a single hinge (and on top of the canopy where only the tallest (not me) will see the top anyway... I would go (well actually I did go with the one I built) with the durability over the long haul of a piano hinge.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#27 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:14 AM

The reason I didn't spray paint the ones from HD is because of the weather. It has been too cold for it to dry well, plus I bet the finish on these will be more durable. They were about the same in cost as the ones from HD, but just a few extra for shipping.

As far as the size of the lid, I wanted it bigger. I wanted to allow for easier access to the inside of the tank. I realize it will hit the wall behind the tank, my current setup does this too. I plan to use a strap to hold it open, see page 1. I do plan on mounting a light on both the front and rear piece. Here is my current setup, it works for me so I modeled this canopy from it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm not sure how well the strapping will work yet, I may have to go with a door stop or something similar. I'm concerned that the strap won't hold the weight. I have actually looked about some spring/strut mechanisms that would mount to the inside, but they are expensive. When I originally looked at hinges, I was going to do the piano hinge, but I think these will work just fine. These are 4 heavy duty hinges, they should last a long time.

#28 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Got it. Sounds like you have it thought out, so that is good. And it certainly does give good access to the tank, I like that.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#29 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

Thought out it is...but getting my thoughts functional is more of a challenge. At the end of this weekend, I have made a lot of progress. The stand is nearly complete. I just need to get the doors, paint them, and hang them.

I painted the inside of the canopy with 3 coats of white today. Tomorrow I am going to add the polyurethane to seal the inside.

Stand: I mounted 2 surge protectors on opposite sides
Posted Image

Canopy: Inside painted
Posted Image

#30 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

Looking good!

I love DIY aquarium projects.

#31 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

1st coat of polyurethane went on yesterday. 2nd coat will go on today. That stuff really makes that white reflective. I'm glad I decided to do it.

#32 Guest_GreenRiverKY_*

Guest_GreenRiverKY_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

Looking good! How did the doors turn out?

Irate suggested one fan blowing in and one sucking air out. I agree that this is the preferred set up under a somewhat sealed hood. Since your hood is open along the back it might be best to mount two fans on the ends of the hood blowing lengthwise across your light fixtures. You can cap the holes with Lizard Lounge vents like this:
Posted Image

Either way, if you just create some air flow across your lights you can tell a big difference.

#33 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

That is one old digital photo you have there.........I do like the looks of that though

I ordered a right and left of these for the support. I think (and hope) they will work.

http://www.amazon.co...ref=oss_product

Edited by jblaylock, 05 January 2011 - 03:03 PM.

#34 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

I can't help but feel that cooling the lights wouldn't be necessary if you didn't have such an elaborate (and sealed) canopy box. The way I have my lights set up, with them just resting on the top rim of the tank, they don't contribute any heat at all to the water. There's lots of air flow under and around the light fixture.

Photos: (I took one of my two black two foot long lights off to photograph one of the black ones and the four foot long silver one)
http://img.photobuck...imiru/032-2.jpg <-- Heated air is free to escape from side of silver light
http://img.photobuck...imiru/037-1.jpg <-- Silver light rests on tank edge
http://img.photobuck...imiru/027-2.jpg <-- Silver light rests on middle brace of tank, front is covered with black-casing lights, back is open to air
My fish don't jump out. Well, that I know of. *looks behind tank* Nope.

A few open hole sections in the canopy would allow humid heated air to flow out into the room by natural convection. The only downside to that is that if you have a whole room of tanks, the humid air can cause mildew. But you're installing fans to do the same thing anyway.

Edited by EricaWieser, 06 January 2011 - 03:13 PM.

#35 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

The other downside is aesthetics... or marriage counseling...

If you live in a house with a significant other, then you have to make the top of your tank look presentable to the important non-fish obsessed person in the house.

These are things that may not be as apparent to you in your current dorm room life, but trust me, they can become very important!

#36 Guest_GreenRiverKY_*

Guest_GreenRiverKY_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

Yes, its all about aesthetics. I got tired of seeing the mechanical components of my tanks after years of wires, filters and lights distracting from the main attraction.

Also, if you have kids its much harder for them to open the lid and "feed" the fish when you're not looking.

#37 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

Aesthetics is what it's all about. 1st, my wife is great enough to allow a 6 foot fish tank in our dining room so it has to look good. 2nd, not even for her, but I'm trying to build the nicest tank I can and I want it to look good. If I have to go a little further, like adding fans, in order to have a great looking tank and retain the highest functionality of the tank, I will do that.

I have about 4 coats of black paint on it now. I will be mounting the lights and hinges tomorrow. The canopy will only lack the lid stays, fans, and the netting on the back. I will have to transfer the moonlights to this tank, but not until it's nearly ready to setup.

#38 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:17 PM

Well, I got the painting done and the hinges put on. As you may see from the photos, I still need to put more screws in the hinges, Lowes didn't have enough. I also added the lid stays, I misplaced the first one and had to move it, which left a hole in the lid. I guess I will fill it and repaint it. I'm concerned that where I HAD to mount the lid stays doesn't let the lid go back far enough. I don't want it to slam closed when it's open, but I guess any angle leaning backwards will not allow it to slam shut. Plus it will have weight on it due to the light that will be added. If straight up is 0degrees, it is leaning at about 23degrees backwards.

I had lights to mount, but I bought the wrong ones. The ones I have need to be hard wired in and I really dont want to wire up a plug to these. I am going to buy two lights this week or weekend. Also, I will be picking up the cabinet doors this weekend.

Canopy Painted:
Posted Image

Canopy Hinges:
Posted Image

Lid Stays:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

More updates to come. I hope to get the lights mounted and the cabinet doors on this weekend, but I'm not sure if I will have time.

#39 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

I couldn't resist taking some pics of it on the tank.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was worried that with the light attached to the lid it would slam shut with the weight. But, after looking at the pic from the side, I suppose the laws of gravity won't let that happen. Since it's leaning toward the rear, it would fall that way, but the lid stays will hold it open....but that light will be right in my face.

#40 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:48 PM

Looks great! I have been enjoying following this, keep up the good work! :smile2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users