Photo

Official 2011 NANFA Convention Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
113 replies to this topic

#21 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:08 PM

I just updated the announcement just to say that the special rate at the Holiday Inn is only available until April 19th so please make your reservations early.
Drew on the Mighty Potomac River

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal

#22 threegoldfish

threegoldfish
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:39 PM

My husband wants to come with me to this and will probably attend lectures as well as field trips. Should I register him with a spouse registration or as another attendee?

#23 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

My husband wants to come with me to this and will probably attend lectures as well as field trips. Should I register him with a spouse registration or as another attendee?

You want to do Full meeting, regular + spouse [$100]. The options are going to be re-worded but that is the one you want.

#24 threegoldfish

threegoldfish
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

You want to do Full meeting, regular + spouse [$100]. The options are going to be re-worded but that is the one you want.

Thanks, Drew! At a lot of the conferences I've worked, spouse registrations were only for the social events and not the educational so I wanted to make sure I was registering us right. See you in May!

#25 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

+1, just registered, now I need to call and get a hotel room reserved.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#26 travishaas

travishaas
  • NANFA Member

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

I'm looking for two (or more?) other folks to share a hotel room with.

I'm a 27 year old male, just so you know what you're getting into.

I'm happy to sleep on the floor. I'm interested in economy, not comfort.

Any takers?

Travis

Travis Haas

-----------------

Wedged between the Mississippi River, Lake Pontchartrain, and the Industrial Canal

#27 farmertodd

farmertodd
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

Done deal Travis.
The Muddy Maumee Madness
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
http://www.farmertodd.com

#28 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

I'm up for sharing a room too (non-smoker, non-snorer), and/or travel from Raleigh/Durham area.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#29 Bob

Bob
  • Regional Rep

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

I'm trying to re-arrange things to see if I can attend. A few people in my local killifish club have also expressed interest in native fish collecting, so I'm going to tell them about the meeting as well.

Are there any native killies in the area that we might encounter on the collecting trip?

Spring is the best time, colors are reved up, and the summer heat is not upon us. Fish and overweight humans transport better. Generally folks organize, camp and do extended tours, either before or after the convention. Arrive early and explore by yourself or with friends. Usually our Sunday trips are organized and one typically picks the trip that leads in their general direction home. Myself i hope to spend a week or more exploring the area before and after the convention, focusing on snorkeling clear water. Roanoke Logperch, Mountain Redbelly Dace! Roanoke Hogsucker. What else will i see? I need to start reviewing my books. This region is a mecca for Native Fish.

Bob

http://www.sonnysfishroom.com

You never know what you're going to find, or where you're going to find it. So keep looking.

#30 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:05 AM

Are there any native killies in the area that we might encounter on the collecting trip?

Northern Studfish, Fundulus catenatus
Speckled Killifish, Fundulus rathbuni
Lined Topminnow, Fundulus lineolatus
Banded Killifish, Fundulus diaphanus

... are all possible depending how far you want to drive. F. catenatus is in the TN drainage, F. rathbuni in lower portions of the Dan, F. lineolatus and F. diaphanus can be found on the way to I-95.

There will be a lot of choices to be made for Saturday/Sunday. There will be group(s) going to the New drainage, TN drainage, staying closer around in the Roanoke drainage, or jump up to the James drainage.

#31 Bob

Bob
  • Regional Rep

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

Thanks, Drew. I'll post this to the CAKC Board.

Northern Studfish, Fundulus catenatus
Speckled Killifish, Fundulus rathbuni
Lined Topminnow, Fundulus lineolatus
Banded Killifish, Fundulus diaphanus

... are all possible depending how far you want to drive. F. catenatus is in the TN drainage, F. rathbuni in lower portions of the Dan, F. lineolatus and F. diaphanus can be found on the way to I-95.

There will be a lot of choices to be made for Saturday/Sunday. There will be group(s) going to the New drainage, TN drainage, staying closer around in the Roanoke drainage, or jump up to the James drainage.

Bob

http://www.sonnysfishroom.com

You never know what you're going to find, or where you're going to find it. So keep looking.

#32 bumpylemon

bumpylemon
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

ive been so busy with my photography business i didnt even see the convention. i might have to figure this all out!!!!!
Justin Lawson
Explorer of Everything Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Regional Rep of Massachusetts & Rhode Island

#33 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

Thanks, Drew. I'll post this to the CAKC Board.

No, thank you. If you're still active on the PVAS forum, can you post something there? I'm waiting for my account to be approved or I would do it myself.

And to anyone else, please pass on the convention information to any regional clubs. The more, the merrier.

#34 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

I am looking to get a trip together for Thursday. I will be arriving early (10-11am) on Thurs, and I think check-in at the hotel isn't until 3pm. I would like to get a group together for a couple hours collecting There are several species I would like to see on this trip and I'm trying to take advantage of this opportunity while I have it. Drew, can I start a seperate thread to get a group together for Thursday since there isn't anything really planned?

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#35 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:53 PM

I am looking to get a trip together for Thursday. I will be arriving early (10-11am) on Thurs, and I think check-in at the hotel isn't until 3pm. I would like to get a group together for a couple hours collecting There are several species I would like to see on this trip and I'm trying to take advantage of this opportunity while I have it. Drew, can I start a seperate thread to get a group together for Thursday since there isn't anything really planned?

Sure. Let me know what you're looking for and I can point you in the right direction.

#36 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

I just updated the announcement just to say that the special rate at the Holiday Inn is only available until April 19th so please make your reservations early.

Made my reservation. They asked if I was charging the room to the group account....I declined, didn't think you wanted to pick up my tab.

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#37 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

Made my reservation. They asked if I was charging the room to the group account....I declined, didn't think you wanted to pick up my tab.

Interesting. There is no group account to charge to. I'll have to call and check on that.

#38 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:52 AM

Drew - For folks that can't get off on Fri, but just want to come on either Sat or Sun for a field trip, how should they register? Can they just show up and register on site immediately before the trip?

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#39 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

Drew - For folks that can't get off on Fri, but just want to come on either Sat or Sun for a field trip, how should they register? Can they just show up and register on site immediately before the trip?

I'm trying to get an answer as we don't have a field-trip only option at the moment.

#40 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

At the 2007 Greensboro NC conference I think we charged them about $10 or 15 for field trips only.
Several teachers and other curious locals joined us this way.
Might want to get some kinda poster up in local fish shops, bait/tackle shops, libraries in the Roanoke area.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse