Photo

Official 2011 NANFA Convention Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
113 replies to this topic

#41 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

At the 2007 Greensboro NC conference I think we charged them about $10 or 15 for field trips only.
Several teachers and other curious locals joined us this way.
Might want to get some kinda poster up in local fish shops, bait/tackle shops, libraries in the Roanoke area.

I'll get the website updated, but we'll make it the same as the daytime-only registration, $15.

I've sent a flyer to local fish shops and I've been working with the visitors bureau. I'll send them an email asking where else I can send flyers.
Drew on the Mighty Potomac River

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal

#42 khudgins

khudgins
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:39 AM

I was hoping my travel schedule would put me stateside during the conference. Unfortunately, I'm back in Korea on the dates of the meeting. Ah, well. I'll see everyone next time.

#43 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

Thank you Tom for putting this together.

Please pass along to anyone you think may be interested in attending.

Attached File  Convention 2011.pdf   343.74KB   67 downloads

#44 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

Online hotel reservation available at NANFA Hotel Reservation.

Group room rate of $75 has been extended until April 25th. Don't delay, reserve today!

#45 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

Are we planning to have any tanks set up in the hospitality room or meeting room to display fish? If so, the Thursday collectors could put a variety of species on display Friday, so folks can get some familiarity with fish they'll be seeing on Sat-Sun trips. If we do this, somebody(s) will need to bring pre-cycled filters from tanks with a high fish load, so they'll have plenty of ammonia-hungry bacteria. We had a local petshop loan us tanks for the NC conference.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#46 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:10 PM

If there is an interest in doing so, then I can get it setup. I think Laura mentioned setting up a small one for her presentation.

#47 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

Any volunteers willing to: A) Catch or bring VA fish for display, and B) Bring pre-cycled filters ??
I'll be getting in Thurs night, so I won't be able to collect on Thurs, but I might have a filter or 2 and air pump to bring. Re filters, the more the better!

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#48 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:24 PM

Any volunteers willing to: A) Catch or bring VA fish for display, and B) Bring pre-cycled filters ??
I'll be getting in Thurs night, so I won't be able to collect on Thurs, but I might have a filter or 2 and air pump to bring. Re filters, the more the better!

I'll be collecting Thursday would be happy to bring some for display would not have extra filters.
Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#49 pylodictis

pylodictis
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:58 PM

I'll be collecting Thursday would be happy to bring some for display would not have extra filters.

I'm in Richmond, VA and as long as you guys have facilities to house them on site, I could bring some native fish. I would prefer to bring more "rough" species as many might describe them because they'll do better during the 3.5 hour trip from here. Possibly American eel,sea lamprey(on temporary display returned to the river upon my return), bullheads,etc. I might be able to do some species of sunfishes or chubs though. I wish I could bring a shad(anadromousor potamodromous) species but with that journey it's out of the question. Shoot me an email if you're interested:

Andrewchase12@hotmail.com
Andrew Chase

"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

#50 nativeplanter

nativeplanter
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:38 PM

If there is an interest in doing so, then I can get it setup. I think Laura mentioned setting up a small one for her presentation.

Not for my presentation, but I was thinking we could do a stream invert setup with a scope. At this point I do not know if I will be able to join people for collecting on Thursday. Would someone be able to collect some inverts for display?

#51 pylodictis

pylodictis
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

If you have a cancellation or need another speaker, I can do a presentation on the implications on introductions of I. furcatus and P. oilvaris in the James river.
Andrew Chase

"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

#52 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

Not for my presentation, but I was thinking we could do a stream invert setup with a scope. At this point I do not know if I will be able to join people for collecting on Thursday. Would someone be able to collect some inverts for display?

I suppose I could do that as well anything in particular?
Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#53 nativeplanter

nativeplanter
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

I suppose I could do that as well anything in particular?

Nothing in particular, just a smattering of whatever can be found so that people who are unfamiliar with stream bugs can get a good look at them. Various Ephemeroptera, Trichoptera, etc etc etc. We could probably keep them in plastic shoe boxes with air stones. I can bring the dissecting scope so people can get a good look.

Thanks for volunteering, Mike. Do you have a fine net that would be suitable for catching them?

#54 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:19 AM

Nothing in particular, just a smattering of whatever can be found so that people who are unfamiliar with stream bugs can get a good look at them. Various Ephemeroptera, Trichoptera, etc etc etc. We could probably keep them in plastic shoe boxes with air stones. I can bring the dissecting scope so people can get a good look.

Thanks for volunteering, Mike. Do you have a fine net that would be suitable for catching them?

yes that should not be a problem
Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#55 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

I know it is a LOT of work for volunteer folks to set up aquariums at a convention site but i for one really enjoy getting to look at the various species that people bring from their own regions or collect locally.

In the past i transported 10 gallon tanks filled with local TN natives to convention sites but it was always challenging getting them there and back with all my pre and post wanderings. Expressing my appreciation to all who do and will.

:)
Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#56 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:49 AM

I found the bagging station very very nice and helpful at the FL convention... Having an oxygen tank to fill up bags with fish in them for the long ride home was just wonderful. If someone could get that set up for this one I think it would be greatly appreciated. I think there was a 55 gal drum of dechlorinated water, oxygen tank, and even some bags and rubber bands for use by attendees. I would even be willing to bring a box of bags and rubber bands as a donation but I don't have any way to do anything about the rest of it.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#57 alejandro

alejandro
  • NANFA Member

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:30 AM

Is anyone else having a hard time with the online registration? I have been trying to register for the past couple of days but can't seem to get the page to load anymore (it worked fine a few weeks back, before I was ready). Switching browsers does not seem to help (not between firefox and IE, at least). Alternatively, if I mail my registration tomorrow (the 25th) can I still get the early registration rate? Thanks.

-Alejandro

#58 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:39 PM

I'll be out collecting on Thursday and dont mind to get some fish for display. I have an extra 10 gallon tank in my garage that I could bring. It might be a bit small, but we could house something in it. Let me know if I should bring it.

Also, depending on my new tank build process I could bring a canister filter to use. My filters are used to high bio-loads. I could bring a Fluval 405.

Edited by jblaylock, 24 April 2011 - 04:53 PM.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#59 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

Is anyone else having a hard time with the online registration? I have been trying to register for the past couple of days but can't seem to get the page to load anymore (it worked fine a few weeks back, before I was ready). Switching browsers does not seem to help (not between firefox and IE, at least). Alternatively, if I mail my registration tomorrow (the 25th) can I still get the early registration rate? Thanks.

-Alejandro

Yeah, I couldn't get it to work either. I sent mine in via US Mail. I'm guessing if you get a check off to them, they won't turn it down. Mine probably won't arrive by today, the 25th.

#60 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

I don't know what happened but it is fixed now.