Photo

Official 2011 NANFA Convention Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
113 replies to this topic

#61 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

Canoing

Drew asked...

Would folks be interested in doing a canoe trip on the New River, the oldest river in North America? I've been thinking of arranging something as a field trip but want to make sure I'd have enough people.

I inquired of Drew the other day and only 2 or 3 folks had expressed an interest to him.
I want to urge folks that would like to do this to let him know, otherwise he will probably drop it as an option.
It would be on Sunday.
The cost would be about $50 per person.
The location would be about an hour westsouthwest of Roanoke in Giles County.
There should be places to snorkel on the river but one never knows what the conditions of that day will be.
Their website is icanoethenew.com
I think there needs to be about 8 or more of us to make it feasible.
They have cabins on site but they run about $150 a night and require a 2 night stay, plus a cleaning charge, so i reckon we would likely return to Roanoke Sunday night or head our seperate ways after canoeing.

Ok... Let him or i know.

Casper
Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#62 alejandro

alejandro
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:52 PM

I don't know what happened but it is fixed now.

Got it - thanks!

-Alejandro

#63 EricaLyons

EricaLyons
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:56 PM

Canoing

Drew asked...

Would folks be interested in doing a canoe trip on the New River, the oldest river in North America?

The oldest river in North America's name is the New River? lol.

#64 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

Canoing

Drew asked...

Would folks be interested in doing a canoe trip on the New River, the oldest river in North America? I've been thinking of arranging something as a field trip but want to make sure I'd have enough people.

Ok... Let him or i know.

Casper

Sorry, I assumed it was already planned... yes, I interested in going.

MWolfe
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#65 AussiePeter

AussiePeter
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:14 PM

The oldest river in North America's name is the New River? lol.

Usually the term "oldest river" is something that gets known via folklore more so than via facts. The bottom line is that in many cases river ages are difficult to obtain. This page has a nice summary relative to the New River. http://www.wvgs.wvne...gy/geoles01.htm

Being from Australia, I of course claim that we have the oldest river in the world. Parts of the Finke River are thought to be 300-400 million years old. http://en.wikipedia....iki/Finke_River As long as you ignore the last part of that section, then you will continue to imagine that that is somehow unique as well as being the oldest. :biggrin:

From google it seems like no one is really sure how it came to be called the New River, but it has had many different names in the past. I'd guess that the real answer exists somewhere though.

Cheers
Peter

#66 AussiePeter

AussiePeter
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

Canoing

Drew asked...

I inquired of Drew the other day and only 2 or 3 folks had expressed an interest to him.
I want to urge folks that would like to do this to let him know, otherwise he will probably drop it as an option.
It would be on Sunday.

I don't really have a plan as yet, but that sounds like it could be a great trip. I'm willing to put my hand up for a canoe trip.

Cheers
Peter

#67 Xenocephalus

Xenocephalus
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:04 PM

I would be interested in doing the canoe trip. Thanks.

Tim

#68 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

CANOE TRIP on SUNDAY

At this time we only have 4 people committed to the canoe trip.
Peter, Michael, Travis and myself.
I will be making the reservation for our 2 canoes shortly. It is $25 per person.
We will be arriving at the outfitters about 10am, so need to leave Roanoke Sunday morning about 8:30.
We will be on the water about 11am and on the New River all day getting out about 5:30, totaling about 6.5 hours.
There will be seining and snorkeling opportunities along the way and we plan on making the 6-7 mile trip very leisurely with lots of stops.
We will have a VA fish permit for our group.
We also have an option of renting a cabin on the river ( at the take out point ) that will sleep 6-8. Only Michael and myself are committed to the cabin so far. Cost would be about $50 each.
E-mail me at prizma@aol.com for more details and your reservation. I will be making a group reservation for only those who are committed, next Wednesday, May 11th.

You can see the outfitters website and additional details at www.icanoethenew.com

Casper
Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#69 Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

Unsure if this is the appropriate place to post this... I am looking for someone to share travel and/or hotel expenses for the convention. I am driving from Iowa. I hope to attend Thursday through Sunday. I am a semi-normal male , 45 yrs. old, non-smoker.

#70 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

Unsure if this is the appropriate place to post this... I am looking for someone to share travel and/or hotel expenses for the convention. I am driving from Iowa. I hope to attend Thursday through Sunday. I am a semi-normal male , 45 yrs. old, non-smoker.

Mike is in Indiana and is planning on driving. Maybe you guys can meet up?
Drew on the Mighty Potomac River

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal

#71 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

Friday Presentation Schedule <table><tbody><tr><td>8:45 - 9:00</td><td>Welcome and Introduction </td></tr><tr><td>9:00 - 9:30</td><td>Brook Trout in Virginia: Current Status and Management (Stephen Reeser)</td></tr><tr><td>9:30 - 10:00</td><td>Cultivating Freshwater Mussels (Amanda Duncan)</td></tr><tr><td>10:00 - 10:15</td><td>15 min break</td></tr><tr><td>10:15 - 10:45</td><td>The king and his court : An overview of the ecology of Percina rex and other Roanoke River natives (Jamie Roberts)</td></tr><tr><td>10:45 - 12:00</td><td>If Suckers Could Fly... (Robert Jenkins)</td></tr><tr><td>12:00 - 1:00</td><td>Lunch Break</td></tr><tr><td>1:00 - 1:30</td><td>A history of fish invasions in the mid-Atlantic region of the U.S> and implications for future trends (Paul Angermeier)</td></tr><tr><td>1:30 - 2:00</td><td>"Biogeography and conservation genetics of two narrowly distributed madtom catfish" (Mark Kopeny)</td></tr><tr><td>2:00 - 2:30</td><td>Jewels in the Darkness : Ecology and Captive Propagation of Enneacanthus, the Blackwater "Dwarf" Sunfishes (Gerald Pottern)</td></tr><tr><td>2:30 - 3:15</td><td>"Living on the (water's) edge: the role of Virginia native plant communities in aquatic ecosystems" (Laura Burbage)</td></tr><tr><td>3:15 - 3:30</td><td>15 min break</td></tr><tr><td>3:30 - 4:00</td><td>Ohio Fishes inventory and Distribution project (Brian Zimmerman)</td></tr><tr><td>4:00 - 4:30</td><td>Conservation genetics of two of Arkansas's rarest darter species, Etheostoma cragini and Etheostoma microperca (Justin Baker)</td></tr><tr><td>4:30 - 5:00 </td><td>From creek-crawling kid to fish professor : One man's journey through multiple tiers of scientific engagement (And how his experience relates to you) (Todd Crail)</td></tr></tbody></table>

#72 Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

I am interested. How can I contact Mike?

#73 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

I am interested. How can I contact Mike?

http://forum.nanfa.o...romMemberID=615

#74 Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:14 AM

Thanks a lot Drew. I'll contact him.

#75 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

Leaving Chattanooga in the Wednesday AM. Bound for Knoxville for a copper and wood Mountain Redbelly Dace delivery and then onto Kingport and Ranger Bob's to drop off a handsome Warmouth. I hope to be in Roanoke by nightfall.
Bringing T-Shirts, Hats, Cards, Decals, Signs, MRE's, Moon Pies, and a Convention logo Banner with Sharpies, along with a few things for the Auction. Im looking forward to seeing new fish, new waters and Fishy Friends. Sunday i and others plan on canoeing the New and staying overnight in a cabin right on the river. Afterwards we will migrate south and snorkel all the clear cool water found.
:)
Drew has prepared the way!
Casper Cox

#76 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

If there is an interest in doing so, then I can get it setup. I think Laura mentioned setting up a small one for her presentation.

Just double checking to be sure we are planning on having a couple display tanks set up. I'm coming down Wed and plan on picking up some fish and bugs if it's still a go.
Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#77 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:56 PM

Just double checking to be sure we are planning on having a couple display tanks set up. I'm coming down Wed and plan on picking up some fish and bugs if it's still a go.

Logistically I can't do it and no one said they would so I'm guessing not.

#78 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

Moon Pies! I hope someone is bringing RC Cola.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#79 harryknaub

harryknaub
  • NANFA Member

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:50 AM

Moon Pies! I hope someone is bringing RC Cola.

Nice name check on NRBQ.

Harry
between the Waccamaw and the ocean

#80 RWHarper

RWHarper
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

I plan to drive up from Raleigh on that Friday. Been about 12-years since I went to a fish convention and look forward to attending.

Rod

Edited by RWHarper, 18 May 2011 - 12:34 PM.

Rodney W. Harper