Breeding Leptolucania ommata

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:16 PM

Cleaning the tank/ removing hair algae and duckweed... when I saw a .25in omatta fry. Wonder how many I accidentally tossed with the algae and duckweed. Not sure if it is still around as I have four swamp darters in that tank now. The point is, it worked to add ro water and blackwater extract.
I am planning on removing most of the fish from that tank and adding them to a different one in hopes of getting a decent amount of fry.

#62 Guest_RichardSFL_*

Guest_RichardSFL_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Cleaning the tank/ removing hair algae and duckweed... when I saw a .25in omatta fry. Wonder how many I accidentally tossed with the algae and duckweed. Not sure if it is still around as I have four swamp darters in that tank now. The point is, it worked to add ro water and blackwater extract.
I am planning on removing most of the fish from that tank and adding them to a different one in hopes of getting a decent amount of fry.

Congratulations. Maybe I will have to break down and try the RO method. So far, I have no fry. Keep us posted on their progress. Thanks.

#63 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

What was your pH at, Elijah? Can you post some pictures of your tank? It would help other people who are trying to get their L. ommata to spawn.

Edited by EricaWieser, 04 October 2011 - 03:50 PM.

#64 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

Try to remember when I have more than a second

#65 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Youse guys on the left coast are SOL, and that's a fact. Can't collect native fishes, can't throw dead dogs off bridges, can't shoot holes in road signs - all the things we southerners get to do freely and without recrimination.

Upon further reflection, you guys have one thing we lack in the south - you have frogs that can be licked. Down here they taste bad (except for the fried legs) and they don't get you high.

LOL Irate Mormon, your a trip either that or you got one of the west coasts toads to lick.

#66 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

I cannot really recommend this methid, but I have mine breed twice this fall/winter by the following, neglectful husbandry...
  • handful of adults in a 10 gallon tank with lots of hornwort, water lettuce and java moss
  • ignore, but feed the tank with cyclopeeze flakes
  • when half the water in the tank has evaporated you think to yourself, man those fish are going to need water to swim in
  • thin the plants (which continue to grow with the neglect) and refill the tank with 5 gallons of prime treated tap water
  • within a few days I see little tiny slivers of white/yellow swimming in the hornwort
...now I am not getting any sort of survival rate to speak of... I seem to only see a few (many 1-3) fry that are surviving to any size... but they are breeding.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#67 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Michael, you're exactly right with that method! They thrive on benign neglect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users