125 gallon Sunfish Tank

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think?

1. Voted Overstocked (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. Voted Okay (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

3. Voted The addition of a Green Sunfish would be okay (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. Voted The addition of a Warmouth would be okay (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:13 AM

The tank in question is a 125 gallon (72x19x21)soon to be IDEALLY stocked with 5 Northern Longears, 4 Pumpkinseeds, 1 Bluegill, 2 Yellow Perch, 1 Crappie, 1 White Sucker, and 1 Logperch. All of these fish are in the 2-3 inch range. I do have seperate tanks for all these fish should it not work out, but right now everyone minus the Longears (too small right now) and Logperch (quarintine)are in a 75 gallon and are all thriving. So I suppose my first question is what do you think of my current stocking plan? My second question has been asked many times before, but not in a situation with this many delicate, shy fish (Crappie, Sucker, Logperch). How would a Green Sunfish work in this set up? I saw Brian Zimmerman's big tank and instantly knew I wanted to be able to keep a big lunker with the little Longears. As for filtration I've got a 60 gallon, cycled canister that will be hooked up to another canister that my fish-keeper uncle will give me and says will definately do the job. I also hope to get a fluidized bed eveuntually, but I've heard they aren't a good start up filter because of how long it takes the bacteria to colonize it. Well, that pretty much concludes my post. Final words: All of these fish were obtained legally and I already know about the nitrogen cycle. Thanks in advance!

#2 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

The tank in question is a 125 gallon (72x19x21)soon to be IDEALLY stocked with 5 Northern Longears, 4 Pumpkinseeds, 1 Bluegill, 2 Yellow Perch, 1 Crappie, 1 White Sucker, and 1 Logperch. All of these fish are in the 2-3 inch range. I do have seperate tanks for all these fish should it not work out, but right now everyone minus the Longears (too small right now) and Logperch (quarintine)are in a 75 gallon and are all thriving. So I suppose my first question is what do you think of my current stocking plan? My second question has been asked many times before, but not in a situation with this many delicate, shy fish (Crappie, Sucker, Logperch). How would a Green Sunfish work in this set up? I saw Brian Zimmerman's big tank and instantly knew I wanted to be able to keep a big lunker with the little Longears. As for filtration I've got a 60 gallon, cycled canister that will be hooked up to another canister that my fish-keeper uncle will give me and says will definately do the job. I also hope to get a fluidized bed eveuntually, but I've heard they aren't a good start up filter because of how long it takes the bacteria to colonize it. Well, that pretty much concludes my post. Final words: All of these fish were obtained legally and I already know about the nitrogen cycle. Thanks in advance!

I was just looking at the photos of Brian Zimmerman's big tank the other night too. It is certainly impressive. A true work of art. I was looking for it again tonight, but can't seem to find it now.

Your stocking line-up seems like it would be interesting. It might be a little tight quarters for my preference once the fish grow up. Out of the 15 or 16 fish, 4 of them will get over a foot long, with the white sucker up to 20". I've also personally witnessed crappie over 17". I also wander if, as the fish grow, someone in the mix might try to eat the logperch. You might very well be in an excellent position to experiment though, with having enough tanks on hand to separate some if need be. Here's a link to a discussion where smbass talks about stocking sunfish in a 55 gallon. http://forum.nanfa.o...8279#entry88279

You may have already seen that one, but I found it interesting and was curious if you could take that ratio of sunfish to water, which is 9.167 or nearly 10 gallons per fish and go maybe 12 to 13 in a 125 gallon.

My personal rule of thumb for filtration is to use twice the recommended filtration for my tank size. If I need filtration for a 55 gallon, then I'll get two filters that are rated for a 55 tank or one filter rated for at least 110 gallon. That's just my preference though. Everyone has their own thoughts on that as I'm sure you've got your preferences on that too.

I'm looking forward to reading more about how this works out as you're setting it up and then getting the fish acquainted to their new home. Maybe pictures too? :-D

#3 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:35 PM

I was just looking at the photos of Brian Zimmerman's big tank the other night too. It is certainly impressive. A true work of art. I was looking for it again tonight, but can't seem to find it now.

It's right here: http://forum.nanfa.o...om/page__st__20

Your stocking line-up seems like it would be interesting. It might be a little tight quarters for my preference once the fish grow up. Out of the 15 or 16 fish, 4 of them will get over a foot long, with the white sucker up to 20". I've also personally witnessed crappie over 17".

I'm actually growing out the White Sucker for a family friend's trout pond. I have also caught a 16 or so inch Crappie, but those not only seem to be rare, but are also some pretty old fish. Also, for some reason, around here perch never get more than about a foot. A while back someone caught a 14 or 15 incher and made the paper! And finally, I have a backyard pond for the Bluegill assuming he gets too big.

I also wander if, as the fish grow, someone in the mix might try to eat the logperch.

That's what I was worried about, so I was thinking about maybe moving him once everyone started outgrowing him. Luckily he has a bit of a head start!

You may have already seen that one, but I found it interesting and was curious if you could take that ratio of sunfish to water, which is 9.167 or nearly 10 gallons per fish and go maybe 12 to 13 in a 125 gallon.

Okay, well in that case I'm not too far off. I will be bumping up the filtration and my setup will be fairly complex to provide plenty of shelter for everyone.

I'm looking forward to reading more about how this works out as you're setting it up and then getting the fish acquainted to their new home. Maybe pictures too? :-D

Will do. I will be using a cycled filter and some cycled substrate, so I'm planning on adding them the next day, which, according to what I have read, is reasonable. Thanks for responding, I was afraid that no one would!

#4 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

I am still working with WI DNR in getting permits to keep sunfish in my newly aquired 125 as well, but when it comes to filtration, I typically do 10x tank volume for standard fish and with sunfish producing a TON of waste (like SA cichlids) I am planning like 15x tank volume per hour. I currently have 2 FX5's ready to go and a couple 55/75 HOB's to just polish the water. My goal was to keep a group of 10 Louisiana Longears (as the Northern is protected in WI.) I had also been debating if I wanted to just to perch instead, but the longears have soo much more color and are brutes like I like.

I will also be watching your progress as our tanks may end up similar in the end (my bottom feeders would be tadpole madtoms which I am GREAT at collecting!)

BTW, we should go out sampling sometime! I have local for pirate perch which are awesome fish, but need to be kept in their own tank to thrive!

-Nate

#5 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

I am still working with WI DNR in getting permits to keep sunfish in my newly aquired 125 as well, but when it comes to filtration, I typically do 10x tank volume for standard fish and with sunfish producing a TON of waste (like SA cichlids) I am planning like 15x tank volume per hour. I currently have 2 FX5's ready to go and a couple 55/75 HOB's to just polish the water. My goal was to keep a group of 10 Louisiana Longears (as the Northern is protected in WI.) I had also been debating if I wanted to just to perch instead, but the longears have soo much more color and are brutes like I like.

Wow, that's a lot of filtration. I also definately like to over-filtrate when I have the option. However, for the time being, the 150 or so canister plus a 60 gallon canister are all I have available, but I am currently saving my moola for a 300 gallon fluidized bed.

I will also be watching your progress as our tanks may end up similar in the end (my bottom feeders would be tadpole madtoms which I am GREAT at collecting!)

As will I yours! I also found a Tadpole Madtom spot! I found it just today, actually! The only problem is that it is a temporary pond made by the receding Mississippi.

BTW, we should go out sampling sometime! I have local for pirate perch which are awesome fish, but need to be kept in their own tank to thrive!

We definately should! I am very interested in some pirate perch! Shoot me a pm and maybe we could work something out. Thanks for chiming in!

#6 Guest_hornpout_*

Guest_hornpout_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:39 AM

Looks like a nice set up with plenty of forethought. It may be a bit overstocked, but I'm no expert. I'm finding shiners and dace do well with sunfish in my 125, but so far I don't have big-mouthed fish like yellow perch, either. The sunfish feed on the surface and make a mess, but those little guys hit the column in a frenzy and let nary a speck of foodwaste hit the substrate. They really make a big difference. A sucker on the bottom helps, too. I'd like to add perch or bullhead, but have been hesitant. If those lunkers mow on my cleanup crew, things will get real messy. Should I go for a big old sucker, instead, or perhaps a white perch (which have smaller mouths)? Should I toss in a yellow perch and see what happens? I'm thinking if he ruins christmas I'll just toss 'em in the pan with a little lemon juice.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:36 AM

Looks like a nice set up with plenty of forethought. It may be a bit overstocked, but I'm no expert. I'm finding shiners and dace do well with sunfish in my 125, but so far I don't have big-mouthed fish like yellow perch, either. The sunfish feed on the surface and make a mess, but those little guys hit the column in a frenzy and let nary a speck of foodwaste hit the substrate. They really make a big difference. A sucker on the bottom helps, too. I'd like to add perch or bullhead, but have been hesitant. If those lunkers mow on my cleanup crew, things will get real messy. Should I go for a big old sucker, instead, or perhaps a white perch (which have smaller mouths)? Should I toss in a yellow perch and see what happens? I'm thinking if he ruins christmas I'll just toss 'em in the pan with a little lemon juice.

I know you are joking a little... but I will tell you that he will do it... he will slowly eliminate them... yellow perch seem a little skittish to me when you first put them in a tank... then they find a good plant or log to sit by or under... then they start their eating campaign...

Consider a Nocomis or Hybopsis chub they are an easier fish to keep and keep well fed... yes, they will eat heartily out of the water column with your other fish... but then they are never really full, so they will continue to poke around and stick their faces in between rocks and such an clean up pretty nicely.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

I agree. Even though my perch are still small, I would NEVER try to put any kind of dace or something similiar with them! The only species of shiner that would be big enough would be along the lines of a golden or common shiner. My yellow perch are far from shy. They beg for food just like everyone else.

Also, having seen that most believe the tank is overstocked, I would like to once again inform you that the sucker is only temporary and also that as soon as a fish begins to feel uncomfortable, they will be moved to either A) a seperate tank or B) my pond. I will admit that this is more fish than I like to have in a tank, so I will try my best to make sure the filtration is adequate and that there are plenty of places where the fish can go to feel safe.

Edited by Yeahson421, 29 August 2011 - 11:07 AM.

#9 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:09 AM

Looks like you have already gotten some great advice but I figured I could add in my 2 cents as well... I think long term most sunfish and other similar sized fish do well at the 1 fish per 10 gallon rate so your looking at 12-13 fish in a 125. Also if you add in a green or even the perch and crappie are likely to take out the logperch sooner or later. A big green can be a pretty nasty fish but if you make sure no one actually fits in its mouth and they are well fed with lots of cover available then it can be done. My fish are doing well still, most of the same fish are still in the big tank since I posted about it including the big green and the little male Northern longear. I added a second W. dollar and a second MO longear to the mix and I'm debating on who else to add in since I am at 18 fish in my 200 gallon tank. I have a couple of potential candidates that were outdoors in the breeding ponds over the summer to fill the last 2 spots...

#10 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:12 AM

Looks like you have already gotten some great advice but I figured I could add in my 2 cents as well... I think long term most sunfish and other similar sized fish do well at the 1 fish per 10 gallon rate so your looking at 12-13 fish in a 125. Also if you add in a green or even the perch and crappie are likely to take out the logperch sooner or later. A big green can be a pretty nasty fish but if you make sure no one actually fits in its mouth and they are well fed with lots of cover available then it can be done. My fish are doing well still, most of the same fish are still in the big tank since I posted about it including the big green and the little male Northern longear. I added a second W. dollar and a second MO longear to the mix and I'm debating on who else to add in since I am at 18 fish in my 200 gallon tank. I have a couple of potential candidates that were outdoors in the breeding ponds over the summer to fill the last 2 spots...

Thanks for commenting, I was hoping you'd chime in. Once you decide what to add you should do another update. That tank is so interesting, it really demonstrates a real river better than any other tank I've seen. Also, how is that gar doing? I love gar, especially longnose, but they get to some very un-manageable sizes. I've been thinking about looking into spotted gar as a possible replacement.

#11 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

Spotted, Shortnose, and Florida gar probably all make better aquarium fish because of their smaller size compared to longnose. Although the longnose is doing fine and not growing all that quickly. I think that it may stunt some in my tank which really probably is not such a terrible thing as long as the fish is feeding well and otherwise healthy. I think there is a huge difference between fish getting stunted because of poor care vrs. the fish being healthy and adapting to it's surroundings. Of course you wouldn't want to take this to an extreme and keep a longnose gar in a 10 gallon tank though either. I would love to have a couple of spotted gar but I would have to get special permission since they are protected in Ohio.

#12 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

Oh, cool. So, in like 6 months to a year, if everything is going well in the 125, would a spotted gar be appropriate?

#13 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

Possibly, just keep in mind size of the rest of the fish and numbers of fish total.

#14 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

Okay. Also, with gar, as long as the tankmates are taller or wider than the gar's throat, the gar will leave them alone, correct?

#15 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

Yes that is generally true.

#16 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:03 PM

Okay, I just came up with a way to keep the fish numbers down: Have the 125 be "boys" only :biggrin:. Assuming I get 4-5 females, would they do well in a 40 gallon or so?

#17 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

i would think there would always be aggression towards eachother due to one always wanting to be the dominant fish, regardless of a female being around.

#18 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:14 PM

Oh, yes, I know that. My main reason was that this would be a display tank, so if I could cut a few fish out and possibly lower aggression even just a little bit while improving the overall color, I thought "why not?"!

#19 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:33 PM

All ten of the Lepomis sunfish in my 200 gallon tank are adult males. There are 4 other sunfish that I am not as sure on the sex. There certainly still is aggression but they don't do any damage to one another.

#20 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:59 PM

Okay. Do you think the fact that there aren't many, if any females, is helpful for reducing agression?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users