outside pond

52 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

thats interesting, but have you done any other research on this product, i have a commercial catalog that lists sheet products for farm ponds so both products are used, there must be advantages and limitations, seems like plant roots, or burrowing turtles, or scouring from excessive water flow, would eventually cause leaks, which seem to be easily repaired, of course my little pond has vertical sides that need structure, but it is strange that vinyl, and concrete seem to be the only products used in ornamental ponds, since many are not vertical.

Plant roots do not cause leaks, otherwise every little park pond and a lot of reservoirs would be in big trouble (they tend to have trees dotting their shores too, much bigger, stronger roots to deal with than an urban pond). I imagine a burrowing crayfish could be a problem if he was doing that in the middle of the pond. Scouring is not a problem I'm familiar with, although I wouldn't line a swift stream with it. Considering that sodium bentonite is really just a kind of clay, and that it does form waterbodies where it occurs naturally, I thought it would be a more natural and possibly more stable option. Both hard liner and soft liner ponds seem to have problems with ripping/cracking but the clay would mould around whatever penetrates it (including plant roots). Its price was also tempting for a thrifty future college student ;).

#42 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

my pond is filled with tiny tadpoles, makes me wonder, how do tadpoles survive in such huge numbers, sometimes in not much more than a mudpuddle, are they born with an internal yolk sac, also are they a hazard to fish fry?

#43 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

The whole tail is almost entirely fat and is used as reserve food. They'll eat a lot of organic debris that falls on the surface too. I don't think they could be any hazard to fry, although big ones might eat very small eggs.

#44 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

thanks, i knew there had to be something like that.

#45 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

another tadpole mystery, they all disappeared(thousands) enmasse last night despite showing no signs of change earlier, there are now no tadpoles at all, and no frogs either though my pond is kind of hard to get out of,wife says a mysterious anteaterlike creature sucked them up, i say they all changed to frogs in one night hopped up the stream and escaped, weird

#46 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

another tadpole mystery, they all disappeared(thousands) enmasse last night despite showing no signs of change earlier, there are now no tadpoles at all, and no frogs either though my pond is kind of hard to get out of,wife says a mysterious anteaterlike creature sucked them up, i say they all changed to frogs in one night hopped up the stream and escaped, weird

Transformations take longer than a day.
I agree with your wife but think it was probably a wading bird, cotton mouth, or raccoon. Check out these photos of a Florida cotton mouth eating madtoms: http://i76.photobuck...uff/cotton9.jpg and http://i76.photobuck.../cotton10.jpg from http://forums.garden...1356396925.html

Edited by EricaWieser, 19 June 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#47 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

I agree with Erica - if it happened at night I would say raccoons. They could easily wipe them out in one night.

#48 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

well, after digging around in the bottom i found there are still some tadpoles around, not nearly as many as there were, my pond is a verticle box 3 feet deep full of plants, surrounded by soft sand, cant believe a raccoon could do that without leaving evidence, some of my fish could eat a few, largemollies and golden topminnows

#49 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

snakes... and not jsut cottonmouth... lots of really nice non-poisonous water snakes in florida that are fish and crayfish eaters... and tadpoles too.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#50 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

my wife refuses to accept that possible reality

#51 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

well i found some newborn turtles in my yard only about an inch in diameter, put them in the pond, next day they were gone, they are indeed amazing climbers, have 4 large frogs in the pond now, probably eating my fish,went on vacation during thanksgiving for 10 days, pond was almost empty when i returned, before refilling i did some housekeeping and a fish survey, found some large mollies, and golden topminnows over 4inches, and a hogchoker sole i don't believe i put in, along with a lot of small fish. Haven't figured out why the pond drained , all it takes though is for a plant to shift so water flow from my spitter or waterfall partially misses the pond or stream and in a few hours it's low, i have some large sagitaria plants that wave around, maybe they caused the water loss. my pond stayed clear all summer, seems the little 9 watt uv clarifier works. still haven't found any wild flagfish , but i bought 3 which i have in a 10 gal aquarium inside. the pond is fun, but a lot of work, and i still need to do more landscaping, and put up a cover to keep out the leaves.

#52 Guest_Alspond_*

Guest_Alspond_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

well, after digging around in the bottom i found there are still some tadpoles around, not nearly as many as there were, my pond is a verticle box 3 feet deep full of plants, surrounded by soft sand, cant believe a raccoon could do that without leaving evidence, some of my fish could eat a few, largemollies and golden topminnows

A search brought me to ths old item nd I had a thought. Might be narrow mouthed toads. They depend on ephemeral puddles and can go from egg to toad in 6-10 days. Once a toad the wold go underground.
Full gown are about 3/4 inch long. Cute little guys that are terrestrial living underground a bit during the day.
Just a thought.

#53 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

yeah i have a lot of those around, they are continuously getting into my swimming pool, they are kind of cute and odd looking, but my pond is vinyl lined, wonder if they can climb like a tree frog

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users