Bluefin Killies at the Pet Shop

75 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:17 PM

I went to Pet Supplies Plus in Toledo and just bought three Bluefin Killifish for 11 cents a piece! Anyone else regulary find interesting native fish in their local pet shops?

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:12 PM

A LFS near me has a golden topminnow but the owner won't sell or give it to me. She says it is illegal to have any transaction involving it. I'm pretty sure it isn't true, but she doesn't want to chance her store over one fish I guess.

Other LFS's I've asked either didn't care (new manager is a dick) and the others get only have random goldfish and koi apparently.

#3 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

That is typically only true if the fish are native to the state and/or caught in the state. Probably just their way of covering their butt's but nice to know they are at least being cautious and somewhat informed.

I try this ALL the time and it NEVER works. Well I shouldn't say never, I got a two swamp darters this way and a seminole killie, just never any Bluefins which is my goal.

#4 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:01 PM

I found 12 bluefins yesterday in one ghost shrimp tank! along with 2 flagfish. They charged me a dollar for all of them.

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:29 PM

A LFS near me has a golden topminnow but the owner won't sell or give it to me. She says it is illegal to have any transaction involving it. I'm pretty sure it isn't true, but she doesn't want to chance her store over one fish I guess.

Other LFS's I've asked either didn't care (new manager is a dick) and the others get only have random goldfish and koi apparently.

As far as I understand it, this rule does not apply when a fish has been legally purchased through a supplier. If you think about it, sailfin mollies are native an lots of folks sell those. The rule is basically that you can't sell native fauna without the proper permits, which the pet store and it's supplier has.

#6 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:40 PM

I've goten loads of northern shiners in rosey red tanks like my favorite shiners the blacknose dace and the common shiner

#7 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

Guest_troutperch beeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:27 PM

I've nevr been lucky enough to find anything interesting or odd in any of my lfs's! Someday maybe!!

#8 Guest_Slasher_*

Guest_Slasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:15 PM

That's neat. I just found some kind of killifish at my LFS yesterday, 7 of em for a dollar. Sold them to me as "guppies that got mixed in the tanks"

#9 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:55 PM

PetSupermarket store in Asheville, NC sometimes gets bluefin killis and swamp darters in their guppy and ghost shrimp tanks.

I even got a juvenile dollar sunfish there once mixed in with ghost shrimp!

Sometimes I get them as credit, other times I have to pay for them.

Depends on who is back in the fish section I guess. I dunno. :?:

#10 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:24 PM

i got 6 of them at my lfs and well they always get them... so i have a supplier... they charge 30 cents for them because they have to catch a specific fish. otherwise they are 10 cents...i also got a mosquito fish and some other fish that i dont know what the hell they are... i was told they are a type of guppy but they dont look like it... they have dorsal fins build like a blue fin but they are redish orange and yellow tails.. any ideaS?

#11 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:36 PM

I might guess the mystery fish is a golden topminnow? Are the dorsal, anal and caudal fins speckled with red spots? How large are the fish? Do you see any shiny gold flecks on the side of the fish in the right light? Should be easy enough to find out since young fish will start to define adult colors at about 1.5 to 2"" with a dark substrate. Feed them well, and soon enough you'll know what they are.

#12 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:46 PM

The only natives i've seen in lfs so far ar sailfin mollies and flagfish.

#13 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:54 PM

I might guess the mystery fish is a golden topminnow? Are the dorsal, anal and caudal fins speckled with red spots? How large are the fish? Do you see any shiny gold flecks on the side of the fish in the right light? Should be easy enough to find out since young fish will start to define adult colors at about 1.5 to 2"" with a dark substrate. Feed them well, and soon enough you'll know what they are.

no they look like a pudgy guppy... bright yellow tails with a orangish red dorsal fin... an a subdued black line that runs down there sides that looks like its been smudged... and boy are the males horny lol... they are full grown too...

does anyone want that damn mosquito fish? it killed a pleco and a female fancy tail guppy

Attached Images

• 100_1625.JPG
  • 100_1626.JPG
  • 100_1627.JPG

#14 Guest_Carl_*

Guest_Carl_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:12 PM

I couldn't resist checking this out. Low and behold I bought 3 Bluefin killies at PSP tonight. Thanks for the hot tip.

#15 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

That fish is a variable platy Xiphophorus variatus, I have seen them ocasionally in feeder tanks on accident but stores often actually sell them too. I beleive they are native to central america but don't know exactly what part without further research, aside from that they may be a trade strain they probably don't look quite the same in the wild.

#16 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:25 AM

I think I'm going to go do that as well Carl lol. I never realized how easy they are to keep. I thought with them being so small, they'd be tough. Pffft. The couple males I have will chase off my big crescent shiners if they think they own something.

Brian, are they still at the P-burg PSP, as far as you know? I think I may actually have some time tonight to drive from PSP to PSP.

Todd

#17 Guest_Carl_*

Guest_Carl_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:02 AM

I think I'm going to go do that as well Carl lol. I never realized how easy they are to keep. I thought with them being so small, they'd be tough. Pffft. The couple males I have will chase off my big crescent shiners if they think they own something.

Brian, are they still at the P-burg PSP, as far as you know? I think I may actually have some time tonight to drive from PSP to PSP.

Todd

I went to another PSP tthis morning and found a couple males. The PSP in Canton at 30th street had several in the ghost shrimp tank.

#18 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:11 AM

Their supplier must be getting to the bottom of their ponds. Hehheh. Think I'll stop over at Franklin Park on my way to the bank ;)

Todd

#19 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:54 PM

Todd,

As far as I know nate only works up there on the weekends so there are probably still 7 at the psp in perrysberg. I'm not sure he's that interested in them anyways I think his mosquitofish took out the last couple he found so they probably arn't too compatable for his tank.

#20 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

Okay cool. I may run out there tonight.

There's 4 of them at the Franklin Park PSP, and what looked like a swamp darter. I was hypoglycemic and got tired of waiting, so they're still there ;)

Todd

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users