2013 convention Kentucky

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

Cumberland Falls state resort park May 2nd- May 5th.

This will be a brief description, more info will follow, so stay tuned.

http://parks.ky.gov/...ls/default.aspx

Josh Blaylock, myself, along with coaching from Tom Watson, and several others, are working hard at putting this convention together. We have worked out very reasonable rates at the lodge. Camping will also be available.

We are looking at trips in the forks of the Kentucky, middle Kentucky, Green river, and possibly the Barren river. There will also likely be a snorkel only trip in the Big South Fork (due to an abundance of Fed. listed species).

The darters should be fired up, and photo opportunities should be fantastic. So build that photo tank, get your coolers fish ready, and plan on long hard days of sampling!

Also as mentioned at this years convention, we are establishing a no take list. Kentucky only forbids the taking of Fed. listed species, but ethically there are several other species in Kentucky that deserve our protection. We will ask that you do not remove these species from their waters other than for photographs. A list will be provided in the near future, and every group leader will have a hard copy, laminated, and complete with photos.

I am sure Josh will chime in soon with further information, and so will I. We have many potential speakers, and donors in the works, and I expect it will be another great convention!
Matt

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

The Big South Fork is mindbending for fish, right there it's worth going.

#3 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

Last time i was at Big South Fork was back in Todd's per-marriage days. I use to camp up there regular when my brother organized family and friends camping trips. I spent near all my time immersed down at Leatherwood Ford. I am eager to return, lots of nifty fish and nice clear water. Better watch out for permitting though. I have heard that some folks take a personal offense if you tell them you are hoping to see a Harlip Sucker.
KY is gonna be a great check off for NANFA conventions. When we get WV and GA we will have had the entire SE states attended.
I spoke with Michael last night and he asured me the "Turtleman" was not going to be there.
:(
I am dissappointed!

#4 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

I spoke with Michael last night and he asured me the "Turtleman" was not going to be there.
:(
I am dissappointed!

Josh also assured us that the Turtleman would not attend. Oh well, maybe we can get those catfish noodlers to come and sample with us. ;)

#5 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

I am really really looking forward to this. Sad I couldn't make it to Ohio but with KY coming up so fast I can help but eagerly wait for cold weather to come and go.

#6 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

This sounds like it will be a great convention. I like that it is being held at a time when a lot of species will be in-color. I'm going to try to make it to this one.

#7 Guest_afv2005_*

Guest_afv2005_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hi Guys and Gals. I just contacted the Dupont Lodge at Cumberland Falls about whether the room rates have been finalized for May 02-05 and they have. Price is $75.95 per night for attendees. I have booked over the phone using their toll free number (800-325-0063). Looking forward to this. Sid Arnold (Ottawa, Canada).

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

There are also a couple of four bed cottages available for $165.95 I am very happy with the rates!

#9 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

I wanted to just jump in here and give a little more info. Matt & I are working hard to make this a great convention. Let's all just hope the weather is nice. We hope to have a great variety of speakers for Friday, and we have some terrific collecting sites already for Saturday & Sunday. We are currently working with KDFWR on making sure we are all legal and do not take a sensitive species. More information to come on this.

Posted Image

This is the only place in the Western hemisphere to see a Moonbow. Hopefully we can all see on while we're there.

Lodging:
The Lodge information sheet is attached, as you can see, there are a few different room options. Call and book early to get the room you want. If you would like to do primitive camping, there are options for that also.

Dining:
There is a restaurant at the lodge, I attached the menu. We will likely have the banquet at the lodge, and I think they have a buffet also. There are also some traditional restaurants in nearby (but not super close) Corbin and Whitley City.

Speakers:
We are working on a great lineup of speakers, I don't think you'll be disappointed. If anyone here wants to present, let me know.

Collecting Trips:
We are happy to offer several different trips on Saturday & Sunday. There will be 3 different drainages to visit. The wonderful part is each drainage will offer different species.

Trip 1: The forks of the Kentucky River. Here we will visit the South Fork, Middle Fork, and some of the tributaries like Cow Creek and Sturgeon Creek.
Trip 2: Middle Cumberland. Here we will go to Rockcastle River, Buck Creek, and Fishing Creek (all drain into Lake Cumberland). Depending on time, this trip may offer a bonus of the headwaters of the Green River and Dix River as we would be close to these.
Trip 3: Green River. Here we will visit sites on the Green River and its tributaries, possibly the Barren River also
Trip 4: Snorkel only to the Big South Fork. I will be posting an online poll to gauge interest in this trip. If we don't get enough people who want to snorkel, this may be eliminated.

We hope this event will be a great success, if there is something you would like to have incorporated that has been missing in past years, please let me know. More info will be coming as things are finalized.

Attached Files

#10 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

Moonbow... nice.
Ed Scott, retired TVA Aquatic Biologist, has been doing a lot of field work in Big South Fork of late. Counted 29 Tuxedo Darters yesterday. He spoke about Snail Darters when i hosted the Chattanooga Convention in 98. David Etnier told me i had to have Little Eddie speak.
I would probably lean to snorkeling BSF Sunday and chose Saturday for somewhere i have never been before.
KY... great place to explore.

I just checked the map out... sweet and convenient for me. Cumberland Falls is near Rooster Scratch and the infamous Whitley City Jail. Arrow Darters and coal mines. I will plan staying in the area several days pre and post convention.

Knoxville is just south. I bet if you asked CFI and David Etnier to speak they would as would other UTK aquatic biologists!

Maybe even offer a pre or post convention visit to CFI's breeding facilities.

Edited by Casper, 27 September 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#11 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

A guided snorkel will be Saturday, if we have one. I plan on contacting CFI, I hope they can make it.

#12 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

CFI would be awesome, I would very much be interested in that. Snorkeling would be really cool too but in May I think the conditions could be pretty unpredictable.

#13 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

Most likely there will be no moonbow since there won't be a full moon that weekend.

I would certainly be interested in a snorkel trip (if conditions are good) since I'm not really a collector.

#14 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Come on Isaac.....don't shoot down our hopes on the Moonbow. But you're right, no full moon, doubtful for a moonbow.

#15 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

Collecting Trips:
We are happy to offer several different trips on Saturday & Sunday. There will be 3 different drainages to visit. The wonderful part is each drainage will offer different species.

Trip 1: The forks of the Kentucky River. Here we will visit the South Fork, Middle Fork, and some of the tributaries like Cow Creek and Sturgeon Creek.
Trip 2: Middle Cumberland. Here we will go to Rockcastle River, Buck Creek, and Fishing Creek (all drain into Lake Cumberland). Depending on time, this trip may offer a bonus of the headwaters of the Green River and Dix River as we would be close to these.
Trip 3: Green River. Here we will visit sites on the Green River and its tributaries, possibly the Barren River also
Trip 4: Snorkel only to the Big South Fork. I will be posting an online poll to gauge interest in this trip. If we don't get enough people who want to snorkel, this may be eliminated.

Good choices, should be a pretty awesome time.

#16 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

Sorry Josh, I just didn't want folks to be disappointed.

#17 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

Josh - What's the usual water temp that time of year at the snorkel site?

#18 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

Big South Fork could easily be 60. Depends on the rains and temps running up to the event. I am sure it is wetsuit water!
But the fish will be spectacular!
I would probably do my snorkeling after the gathering though... like on Monday.

#19 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

There are a few of us that hold KY scientific/educational permits, that being said, one of the permit holders may need to be in attendance for even a snorkel trip in the BSF. So Josh and I will continue to work on that. It seems ridiculous, but I have heard stories of BSF law enforcement being very protective. If there is not enough interest in a snorkel trip, then the BSF may be off limits, or enter at your own risk. Though there are certainly many other spots for after convention activities in KY. We will keep everyone posted as this develops.

Also water temps will be generally very chilly. If snorkeling, a wetsuit will be needed. If you are planning on seining only during this convention, I would surely have waders. If we have a nice warm weekend, you may choose to wade wet, but I would plan for the worst, and hope for the best. Water levels will also likely be higher than you would expect in summer, so plan on getting wet and cold above your knees.

#20 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

Actually, I will likely have some extra time before or after the convention for snorkeling as well, so it really isn't a big deal to me if there are no snorkel-only trips.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users