2013 convention Kentucky

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Sorry to highjack this slightly but I figured people would look here. If anyone coming to the convention from AL or TN who has access to sawfin shiners, I would appreciate 5 or 6 along with a collection site for some genetic work being done on the mirror shiner from the area where GA, SC and NC come together in the vicinity of three different drainages. They can be live or in EtOH. Thanks in advance.

#62 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Seems like Bruce and i see Sawfins over in the Paint Rock, up high. You should email Bruce as he is there often enough to mail you some.
As for Mirrors, i see them in the Hiwassee regular.

Regarding CFI... If someone wishes to visit their facility i would urge you to contact them directly. They will speak Friday at the convention but unsure of their plans afterwards.

Also a mention of snorkeling. Weather and conditions permitting several of us will spend Sunday snorkeling near the convention site, probably south to Big South Fork. No nets allowed.

One could also snorkel at Saturday field trip sites but would need to stay away from those dang mucking seiners.

:)

#63 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

Sawfins are present but not really common in Hurricane Creek of the upper Paint Rock River, in the Walls of Jericho tract owned by Alabama's Forever Wild program. I'm not sure I've seen them in the more easily accessible Estill Fork just to the west. We could try to launch a walking trip into the Walls which requires a 5 mile roundtrip hike down (1000 feet) and back. I don't have access by truck any more since I gave the gates key back to the site managers, although it's possible we could negotiate such access which would make it much easier to do as Casper knows, even with stinging caterpillars and all. We can talk offline Dustin if this sounds like something you'd like to be part of, or to encourage me (and Casper?) to go. I haven't been there for a while so I'm probably due.

#64 Guest_joefish72_*

Guest_joefish72_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

This sounds like a great event you all be sure to post plenty of pictures. I'll be on my way back from the ALA convention with a car load of fish, a detour through Kentucky sure would be nice. I'll have fish that are endangered and way too sensitive to risk, so I'm going to miss this one. .

#65 Guest_NativeLover_*

Guest_NativeLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

After getting excited thinking I'm off the weekend of the convention, I found out I'm off the weekend after. Huge bummer. However, I May be able to take a personal day that Saturday. Would I be able to attend just the one day or would I have to be present all days? I live in Louisville so I would drive down and back in a day. I'm not collecting fish as I don't have a tank set up yet but I would love to help out and see all the finds. Would love to get in the water or do whatever I can to help on one of the trips. I have a little experience with a seine/dipnet but would like to learn from the pros. And would also like to pester some of you for info on how you raise your fish and etc. Management may not give me a personal day but I will try.

#66 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

if you can get off, get with me and maybe you can meet us out at one of the collecting locations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users