2013 convention Kentucky

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

Just a bump guys.....the convention is coming soon, get registered.

#42 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

Registered and got a Woodland room with Bob Muller. Can't wait, but could use more knee rehab time on the other hand. For me 22 possible darter species after subtracting the 10 KY no takes and the 12 NY no takes, WOW, 44 darter species and that's not even the whole state! At least I only have to choose out of 22 species you non-NY'ers have to choose out of about 34. Good luck.

#43 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

Glad to have you two already signed up. I got an executive cabin the other day. Good deal too... only 166 a night and it has 4 queen sized beds... so only 42 a night plus taxes (so maybe 50 but I get to be "an executive"!).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#44 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:54 AM

I registered a couple of days ago as well. This will be my first convention, and I'm really looking forward to it.

#45 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

I was really hoping to make this one. Unfortunately it falls right at my finals time. Dang school always messing plans up...

#46 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Updates to the Convention Schedule on line

http://www.nanfa.org... Schedule.shtml

Also note that you need a fishing license, and you can get them here

https://fw.ky.gov/li...nlinefront.aspx

I just bought mine on-line, you can get a 7 day license for $30 and have the 7 days start whenever you want...I made mine start May 1st.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#47 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

I'm starting to think I may want to stay over Sunday nite and leave Monday am with a good night's sleep anyone else going to hang around Sunday as well.

#48 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

anyone else going to hang around Sunday as well.

That's my tentative plan too.

#49 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

A few others are also staying Sunday night and using Monday to drive home (Casper and I at least, and maybe a couple others)

#50 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

I am going to suggest a "Snorkel Sunday" for those staying an extra night. The desire would be to stay within an hour driving distance of Cumberland Falls, find a nice site with clear water and spend the day snorkeling, no rushing about.
Most other attendess will be making their Sunday field trip drive home but we can relax, snorkel, and have a nice local dinner Sunday evening and then meander home Monday.

#51 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

I am urging issac to bring along some of his photographs on a flash drive. Perhaps share them if the weather gets bad or at an impromtu opportunity. It would be neat to hear him discuss his photos. I will bring along my South Chick Fishes show too just in case of a rainy day.
I need to contact Lance for the same, he is in the Show Me State taking pictures he can show us!
Studying the map a Snorkel Sunday may best present itself a wee bit South, still in KY, at Big South Fork. An area i know, but we will scout, listen to reports and make a decision based upon all options and conditions.
Getting close!

#52 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

That would be great to have a backup in case it's rainy and there may be a chance to show some slides on Saturday evening, depending on what time people get back. However, depending on how bad the weather is, we may still go out if it's not a downpour.

Just a little FYI on the Big South Fork directly from KDFWR:

If anyone is collecting (i.e., actively capturing fish) in the Big South Fork, Little South Fork, or streams around Cumberland Falls containing Blackside Dace and/or Cumberland Darter, a federal permit will be required; however, it is my understanding that snorkeling only does not require a federal permit. I have copied Michael Floyd (USFWS) who can advise further on this matter.

If any of the trips include the Big South Fork, I would advise contacting the National Park Service - either Steve Bakaletz at 423 569-2404 x246 / Steve_Bakaletz@nps.gov or Tom Blount at 423 569-2404 x252 / Tom_Blount@nps.gov for guidance.

#53 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

I do NOT forsee the need for ANY license to snorkel / observe. That would be absurd!
However i will check with Pat and JR of CFI and Ed Scott who has been doing a lot of recent survey work there. I do not know the 2 fellas mentioned but if questionable i will contact them.
Now for any folks wanting to participate on Snorkel Sunday, you cannot have a net in hand or on bank period. This is strict observation outing only.
Water may be cold so bring your thickest neoprene or bioprene as Bryce refers mine.

This is usually some premium cystal clear scenic water to immerse oneself in.

#54 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

I realize you likely won't need anything. Just relaying info I have, making sure everyone is in the know.

#55 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Okay guys you have one week to register at the lodge and get the discounted rate. After that the rooms go back to general availability, and pricing. If you plan on attending, now is the time to make it happen.

#56 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

We got our cabin(s) reserved. Planning on staying 5 nights with Michael and snorkel all day Sunday, weather and clarity permitting. Paid $30 bucks for a week's KY fishing license which may allow me to grab a Flathead. I need to send my $75 to Uncle Tom, our beloved Treasurer, before the price increase April 1, no fooling, to $85.
Still need to pick which of the 3 field trips i wish to attend. Closer is better for me as this is a new region to explore and near all will be new to my eyes. KY is one of the best opportunities to experience aquatic diversity. If you don't go you will have missed a wonderful, and guided opportunity.

#57 Guest_EBParks_*

Guest_EBParks_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Are any of the official field trips going to be snorkeling trips?

#58 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

No, none of the official trips will be snorkeling. However, you will be able to snorkel at many sites we visit on each trip if you want to.

#59 Guest_afv2005_*

Guest_afv2005_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

Couple of questions in advance of the convention for any of the organizers:

1) I assume we should be bringing our own dip net. Is that correct?

2) Was there any luck in finding out whether CFI would accept visitors who might like to see their facilities?

Thanks

Sid Arnold (Ottawa, Canada).

#60 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

You should bring your own dip net and seine, if you have one. Also, there will be lots of people with seines, and it's great to help others out. You can have 4-6 people working one seine, and this helps the productivity.

I have not confirmed that with CFI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users