2013 convention Kentucky

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

I will probably take the whole week off, to go out and double check our sites, look at water levels, and whatnot. Will probably camp here. http://www.fs.usda.g...ea/?recid=39574 It is closed now but will open mid April. It is a beautiful FREE campground with easy access to the KY drainage(which will be the trips I am leading). If any campers out there are planning on coming to KY early, let me know. I will likely be staying there from Sunday until early Thursday morning. I will be looking forward to checking into the lodge, and getting a shower!

#22 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

KY is gonna be a great check off for NANFA conventions. When we get WV and GA we will have had the entire SE states attended.

That means the NE states are next right? :)

Whenever I see pictures of a big waterfall like the one in Jblaylock's pic I wonder if any fish are adapted to survive at the bottom of one.

#23 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

The NE lacks the diversity desired by so many, and the window of weather opportunity is so much greater here in the south. Nonetheless it would be neat to explore some of the NE states. I have often heard of the Pine Barrens and surely PA offers opportunities.
I testify though that Nevada was an opportunity of a lifetime for me.
Heck maybe one day a NANFA convention will be in Mexico if we could have the proper leadership and guides.
SkipperJack... i have not checked your camping site mapwise but that would probably be a likely choice for me. Arrivng at the convention site Thursday morn and staying til Monday morning would be my plan.
Issac... let's plan on doing some snorkel wanders in the vicinity after the convention. I am sure a couple others would enjoy that as well. Fantastic color opportunities if the weather cooperates. We can always head to the headwaters and springs for Chub nests if the water flows are too rushing downstream.
Still is 7 months away, but after winter spring soon comes!

#24 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

Sounds like a good plan Casper.

#25 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

I have already contacted JR at CFI about he or Pat presenting and they are interested.

Fritz

#26 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

I have already contacted JR at CFI about he or Pat presenting and they are interested.

Fritz

Awesome Fritz! Thank you, and I am sure I speak for both Josh, and myself. Matt

#27 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

Thanks Fritz, I would really love for them to present.

#28 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

The NE lacks the diversity desired by so many, and the window of weather opportunity is so much greater here in the south. Nonetheless it would be neat to explore some of the NE states. I have often heard of the Pine Barrens and surely PA offers opportunities.
I testify though that Nevada was an opportunity of a lifetime for me.
Heck maybe one day a NANFA convention will be in Mexico if we could have the proper leadership and guides.

Though I didn't go to the Nevada Convention (a mix of a lack of time, money, and wanting living "souveneirs" from my first convention, it did give me hope. Before the Nevada convention I always heard that certain areas (northeast and out west) were off limits due to a lack of fish diversity (especially of cool/colorful species) from the few NANFA members I had the honor to hang out with. The Nevada convention showed me that wasn't the case. And your mention of the north east being possible even Mexico being included is very good, as it shows me this is about the fish of North America not the "prettiest things we can keep". (Mind you I LIKE keeping pretty fish, but appreciate the plain ones as well).

I just like the idea of a nearbye convention as it saves on money and time off needed (I used to think it would also show the northeast isn't disrespected, but the convention in Ohio showed me that wasn't the view of NANFA as a whole, just a couple vocal people).

#29 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

I sent a request to Pat and JR the other day... also asking if they would consider offering a pre or post convention CFI tour. I like the idea of offering pre and post convention activities to keep fishheads in the region a bit longer, making their travels and experiences more complete.

#30 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

While I live near the lehigh river, in PA. I'd to like to see a convention closer to home. Nanfa is about all species, from the spectacular to the bland.

Is there a species list available?

Edited by exasperatus2002, 01 October 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#31 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

While I also would love to have a convention closer to home I realize diversity is a huge factor. Not that it can't be overcome especially if there is a uniqueness factor such as the Nevada convention provided. PA especially western PA has pretty good diversity. Some creativity might help as well, Eastern PA combined with NJ might work well, not that NJ wouldn't be enough on its own with Pine Barrens and brackish fish. Many western states', NY and NJ regulations would certainly handicap conventions there somewhat unless some waivers could be arranged. Another factor is number of members in the convention state and nearby states. Sadly active members in the whole NE barely equals some states in other regions. The northeast is not off limits just takes more creativity and likely won't draw as many conventions as some other regions. In addition regional get togethers have been popular at times in some of these areas. But generally, if an area can't support a regional get together it doesn't speak well of pulling off a well attended convention.

#32 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

Just wanted to give everybody an update:

We are currently working on completing the field trips for Saturday. 2 of the 3 are basically completed. Hopefully by the end of next week they will be done. I will have the location maps, species lists, and directions posted here. We will also have the No-Take list to go with those sites. When these are complete, I will be preparing a separate thread for each trip so things don't get cluttered here.

In the mean time, if you were not at the convention this year you missed the KY presentation. Here's the condensed version if you want to watch the powerpoint:

https://docs.google....b0Z4dzZGRnlYWW8

Stay tuned guys and gals!

#33 Guest_pylodictis_*

Guest_pylodictis_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

I would love to be able to attend this but unfortunately can not drive right now so if anyone is coming from Virginia I would be happy to pay for gas in exchange for a ride. I would also like to split a room to keep costs down, if anyone is interested please PM me.

#34 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

While I also would love to have a convention closer to home I realize diversity is a huge factor. Not that it can't be overcome especially if there is a uniqueness factor such as the Nevada convention provided. PA especially western PA has pretty good diversity. Some creativity might help as well, Eastern PA combined with NJ might work well, not that NJ wouldn't be enough on its own with Pine Barrens and brackish fish. Many western states', NY and NJ regulations would certainly handicap conventions there somewhat unless some waivers could be arranged. Another factor is number of members in the convention state and nearby states. Sadly active members in the whole NE barely equals some states in other regions. The northeast is not off limits just takes more creativity and likely won't draw as many conventions as some other regions. In addition regional get togethers have been popular at times in some of these areas. But generally, if an area can't support a regional get together it doesn't speak well of pulling off a well attended convention.

I agree western states, NY, and NJ would limit things alot. (too bad as the western states have very different and interesting fish). As for the north east we have a few interesting potentials. You mentioned western Pa and the Pine Barrens. But also you have Rhode Island for tropical strays, and Maine offering a few interesting species in the form of finescale dace, pearl dace, and arctic char. (not that people keep cold water species, but still a unique opportunity).

Another interesting thing is some new england states (at least NH for resident licenses) have multistate saltwater licenses. Which means a brackish focused convention could potentially do three states at once.

As for regional get togethers. I have debated a Sampling Husbandry and Icthyology of North East Regional Species group (S.H.I.N.E.R.S.) but am not sure how to organize it, and face the issue of the north east members being spread across a large area (nine states) which makes me wonder on ways to divide it up without losing people.

As for factors why people go to conventions, three things limit me.

For me the major ones are cost and time off. Longer trips cost more (gas money, etc.) and have longer travel times thus needing more time off. Ability to keep species is not a limit that makes me say no but it is an incentive which makes me more likely to go. (though I admit, [art of why I didn't go to Nevada in addition to cost, is I wanted to take home living souveneirs from my very first convention).

#35 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

Please visit the NANFA mainpage for the official announcement and details.

http://www.nanfa.org/convention.shtml

#36 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

WOW, that little snubnose darter is just splendid...

...hope to see one colored up like that!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#37 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

Good work guys! Thanks for your help Michael!

#38 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Mike, where is this diversity in Western PA that you are talking about? An awful lot of our streams are impacted by coal mining and past industrial activity, especially here in Southwestern PA. The biodiversity here is not that great, although I have found several interesting and listed species in a honey hole or two. But really, I have just not found enough diversity that I think would capture people's interest in a convention. The further north you go, the better it gets. I don't get up north very often; I need to spend more time up there. If you've got some ideas, or just want to explore together, send me an e-mail, since I don't check the forum very often these days.

#39 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

Mike, where is this diversity in Western PA that you are talking about? An awful lot of our streams are impacted by coal mining and past industrial activity, especially here in Southwestern PA. The biodiversity here is not that great, although I have found several interesting and listed species in a honey hole or two. But really, I have just not found enough diversity that I think would capture people's interest in a convention. The further north you go, the better it gets. I don't get up north very often; I need to spend more time up there. If you've got some ideas, or just want to explore together, send me an e-mail, since I don't check the forum very often these days.

I was referring to northwestern PA really, especially French Creek as well as smaller streams which have a lot of neat darters as well as dace, shiners and others. Not sure when I might be able to head that way but will definately keep you in mind when I can.

#40 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Ready for Registration

In case you did not see it in any of the other announcements, we have the on-line registration up and running. I added the link to the main announcement page. You can pay directly by paypal or check and all the info is there on the web.

http://www.nanfa.org...tion/2013.shtml

Register now, the convention is not that far off... it will be spring before you know it!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users