2014 Annual Convention June 5-8, 2014 Western North Carolina

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#81 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

Fritz,

I did not have a room mate So Scott could join me if that helps and he agrees.

#82 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

I'll take Scott in a second if you will take my wife.

That is a joke of course, but Scott is a good choice. Think you and Josh B. will have to fight over him.

#83 Guest_Fishwhisperer_*

Guest_Fishwhisperer_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:17 PM

Aw shucks... I am flattered to be fought over (blush). I am fine staying wherever/with whoever is appropriate. I don't snore much.

#84 Guest_Fishwhisperer_*

Guest_Fishwhisperer_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

Arrangements have been solidified. I am driving and rooming with Phil Nixon.

I have been instructed to buy the heavy-duty earplugs. My old, regular duty ones are in the shop. They were damaged while rooming with Michael Woolfe last year. May be totalled - awaiting estimate.

#85 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

Not only will Phil snore, he will probably relentlessly try to get you to purchase things.

#86 Guest_Fishwhisperer_*

Guest_Fishwhisperer_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

His auctioneering duties bleed into his off-time? Man, this is scary. I gotta' ride with the dude from Illinois! Is he going to have me buying his socks?

#87 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

His auctioneering duties bleed into his off-time? Man, this is scary. I gotta' ride with the dude from Illinois! Is he going to have me buying his socks?

Your socks. But I only know the man by reputation... :)
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#88 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:20 PM

Your socks. But I only know the man by reputation... :)

The worst part is you'll also pay more than they're worth!

#89 Guest_Fishwhisperer_*

Guest_Fishwhisperer_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:26 AM

I am steeling my resolve and repeating into the mirror, "I will not buy my own socks... unless there are other bidders".

Edited by Fishwhisperer, 22 May 2014 - 06:27 AM.

#90 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

This thread..... I can't wait for the convention.

#91 Guest_swampfish_*

Guest_swampfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

You're just describing a good auctioneer. My favorite statement from a NANFA member is "You're a lousy auctioneer. You made me pay more for stuff than I wanted to." My response was "No, it's my job to get you to pay more."

At the Champaign-Urbana convention, I was coerced into selling my own hat that I left behind at a previous convention. I refused to bid on it. Tom Watson bailed me out by buying it and giving it back to me. It sold for much more than I pad for it new.

If you put your socks in the auction, I'll sell them.

Phil Nixon

#92 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

Socks are great for packing fish bags in your luggage. You'll need lots ... Bid high!

#93 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

You're just describing a good auctioneer. My favorite statement from a NANFA member is "You're a lousy auctioneer. You made me pay more for stuff than I wanted to." My response was "No, it's my job to get you to pay more."

At the Champaign-Urbana convention, I was coerced into selling my own hat that I left behind at a previous convention. I refused to bid on it. Tom Watson bailed me out by buying it and giving it back to me. It sold for much more than I pad for it new.

Phil Nixon

Damn lucky to have you Phil. Your shoes are hard to fill. Bet your socks will bring a good penny though.

#94 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

I registered! I'm leaning towards tent camping. PM me if you know of other NANFA people staying at a particular campsite.

We have room for one more person to camp at the Linville Falls campground. Contact Matt Knepley or me if you'd like to join us!

#95 Guest_Fishwhisperer_*

Guest_Fishwhisperer_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:29 AM

I'll donate socks if you guys are really into that kind of thing. Heck, if helps the cause I'll donate my underw... nevermind.

#96 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:20 AM

I'll donate socks if you guys are really into that kind of thing. Heck, if helps the cause I'll donate my underw... nevermind.

Probably best to leave that alone, 'whisperer. The NANFA crowd just isn't ready for that type of money yet. My "Men of NANFA" calendar fund-raising idea was shot down pretty quickly. Except by Skipjack, if I remember correctly, who described its potential as "Hawwwt!"
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#97 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

Lol! I forgot about the calendar.

#98 Guest_Fishwhisperer_*

Guest_Fishwhisperer_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:20 PM

Casper in a Speedo?

#99 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

re: cheap studs for boots

I apologize for reposting this, but the original was in a different thread and I wanted to make double-sure that anyone going to the North Carolina Convention, who might be interested, saw this in case he/she is interested. (Stuff below is slightly edited.)

--------------------

re: cheap studs, I found this article ... Hint: Stop Grossly Overpaying for Wading Shoe Studs and ordered 2 boxes of the Kold Kutter 3/8" studs. Which have now arrived.

That's 2 boxes at 250 studs per box. Depending on how you configure the studs on your boot sole, you need 10-15 studs per boot. And apparently studs tend to fall out on a regular basis, so it's good to have extras. When they're $3 EACH, that is annoying. So probably 40 would be a decent number for DIY-studs for a pair of boots, and I have purchased enough for approximately 10 extra pairs of boots beyond my own need.

If you're interested in putting in a "reservation" to pick up some of these at the convention, let me know via a private message. I'll be there by dinner time on Wed night. First come first serve until they're all spoken for. [update: as of 5/31, plenty still available.]

A 10 cent/stud donation to NANFA would be sufficient, or more if you're feeling generous. There is no other way to "go studly" for approx $4 / pair of boots that I know of.

They have slotted, hex heads so can be installed with a screwdriver, socket wrench or power drill. Haven't measured the head size.

Two caveats:
* This is a "light-duty" solution. It's not going to be suitable for pros who use wading boots on a daily basis. (I assume.) Once a stud has been replaced a couple of times, the hole in your vibram/rubber boot sole probably will have lost its thread, and I'm guessing the studs won't hold any more.
* I have not personally done this before. No guarantees.

#100 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Departure is NOW!
I hope to arrive by 5pm. Not enough time to snorkel but i can run some scoutings perhaps.
MoonPie Moonshine and Pies in tow. T-Shirts for those requesting, Big Muddy playing cards, NANFA decals.
Frogmore Stew beckons.
Safe travels everyone. This is gonna be a fun one.

I hope to do some night snorkeling by the facility, once i have done it during the day checking for hazards. Could be interesting! Bring your own high powered flashlight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users