2014 Annual Convention June 5-8, 2014 Western North Carolina

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

I haven't posted for a while. I had planned on having a house by now and having a big tank going but that hasn't happened yet. I'm still interested in going to the convention so as it gets closer I'll keep a couple vacation days in reserve.

I'm looking to ride share and save cost, keep it in mind

#62 Guest_Nativefishnic_*

Guest_Nativefishnic_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

Thank you everyone lots of great advice I guess it will boil down to what I can get my hands on before I leave for NC. Those places look amazing I wish north texas had streams like this year round hahaha. I'll be signing up this week. I cannot wait for this trip

#63 Guest_EBParks_*

Guest_EBParks_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

Any idea what time we need to be there on Thursday to participate in the electrofishing?

#64 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

I can't answer your question Josh, but do look forward to seeing you again from across the country.

#65 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

Would it be possible to coordinate something involving these field microscopes and the 2014 NANFA convention? It's a new, exciting opportunity to take microscopes out into the field, a place they've never been before.
http://forum.nanfa.o...oscope-project/

If we used the microscopes to look at fish and bugs and plants, and contributed what we learned to the biology textbook, we could teach kids about going outside and looking at their local fish. That's sort of what the 10,00 microscope project is all about.
"We intend to enlist 10,000 individuals who would be willing to beta-test Foldscope over the summer and develop single page science experiments, protocols, queries, questions, applications based on using Foldscope in a specific community. We aim to collectively write a crowd-sourced biology microscopy manual with examples collected from scientists, teachers, tinkerers, thinkers, hackers, kids and alike."

#66 Guest_EBParks_*

Guest_EBParks_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

Alright my wife and I are all signed up for the convention and lodging! We can't wait to fly across country for another NANFA get together!

#67 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

Can't wait to see you there... come back to the southeast, my poor friend... stranded on the left coast.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#68 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

We'll be working in the lower French Broad River area near Huff Island from Mid-morning to late afternoon near Hot Springs. Those who can't join us there can fool around in the Linville River at the facility

coordinates 35.935115 -82.888095 I have a google earth image but can't figure out how to attach it.

about an hour from Asheville airport and 1 hr 30+ minutes from Crossnore

#69 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

I'm hoping that they can come back on Friday for those to couldn't make it Thursday

#70 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

I just signed up.
All 5 nights, all available meals included plus Moon Pies, Registration. $296. Though the registration site says PayPal i was able to use my credit card. I do not like PayPal, they ripped me off a year or two ago. Ever try to get a refund from them?
I had looked at the registration site back when the convention was first announced and i was confused about the lodging. Not so now, it is very clear and all options are clearly presented.
You have a place to select a roommate and once i realized that Raquel Welch was not attending i typed in Der Wolfeman, as we are like minded and will be staying all 5 nights. I think most rooms are set up for two people. East German Rolf called me today and had just signed up himself, sans a roommate. Some of you may have met him in KY, interesting fella indeed. He wants to do a good bit on snorkeling but grilled me for not doing the seine challenge of rush, sweat, shock and dynamite. I will lay in the water far away from such ruckus.
I say all this because as i understand the registration deadline is the soon approaching May 9, today being May 1. So get thee registered. It's going to be a unique NANFA convention in a beautiful mountainous region. I am looking forward to days of tiring activity followed by relaxing evenings of fishy tall tails, videos and NANFan socializing.

#71 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

I enjoyed Rolf quite a bit, and do look forward to seeing him again. You know that during the melee of the challenge, you may be used as a stepping stone Casper. I joke, really I think that the challenge will be fairly reasonable, maybe a bit faster paced than average, but not ridiculous.

#72 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:18 PM

I finally registered.....nothing like procrastination.

#73 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

OK, I just signed up for the convention. Getting in on Thursday. Can hardly wait!!

#74 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

I registered! I'm leaning towards tent camping. PM me if you know of other NANFA people staying at a particular campsite.

Looking forward to microfishing in NC again!
http://forum.nanfa.o...nfa-convention/

#75 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

UPDATE

Technically, registration for the 2014 Convention ends today if you wish to stay at the Forest Service facility. But I won’t be talking to the facility manager until Monday, so please register if you wish to stay and eat. There is an option to stay there for $27 per night (no food) if beds are available. Another group will be there until Friday so beds are limited before then and will go first to those who chose to do the full package. Two of the lodges do have kitchens and if they are available, then there will be an opportunity to do your own cooking. If you are making your own sleeping and eating arrangements, you can register at any time. But since the facility has to purchase food in advance, late registrants may have to bring their own food to the Friday night banquet/auction. So that I can better plan the trips, please let me know if you are coming.
Fritz.rohde@gmail.com

Gerald Pottern has designed a neat t-shirt which can be purchased at the Convention for $20. After the convention, they will available through the Forum website.

#76 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

Not too late.

After speaking with the facility manager yesterday, there are still a few beds available. And if you're not staying there, you can register any time and still get a banquet meal.

#77 Guest_Fishwhisperer_*

Guest_Fishwhisperer_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

I am closing on a house on May 30th. I have no business going to the convention but, course, I am going to the convention. Fieryblack shiners? How could I not attend? I was torn on this and may have wasted too much time thinking about it but it looks like if I go straight to the convention and back I may be able to stay married. This means I'll have to forego my usual pre-convention collecting adventures.

Here are my challenges: I have not registered or made travel arrangements.

Casper, Michael, is there any room in any of the cabins your group(s) usually procure?

Phil, Bill, is the offer to carpool still good? Are you going straight there and back? I'm not allowed to dawdle.

Any other advice/offers will be entertained and appreciated. Of course, I will pay my fair share.

Thanks, Fishwhisperer, aka Iowa Scott slcarlson9999@q.com 563-570-0561

#78 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

Casper, Michael, is there any room in any of the cabins your group(s) usually procure?

Glad to see that you have come to your senses on attending the convention. As far as rooms are concerned, there are not any "cabins" this time around... it is much more of a dormitory kind of layout... if you sign up, I am sure that Fritz can give you a listing of who else is attending and you could certainly find a roommate... and if you are staying in the dormitory, then you will be in the same general area that we are staying in!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#79 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

I am working closely with the facility manager and we will squeeze you in somehow. I need to know when you are coming and leaving and if you plan on eating with us. just send info to fritz.rohde@gmail.com and I'll walk you through the process. And yes it is a dorm atmosphere with 2 beds per room except for Phil Nixon who apparently is an obnoxious snorer.

I knew you couldn't resist the fieryblacks

#80 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Phil's not so bad. Ear plugs work well. Looks like we will have a fine group of fish mongers this year.
Fieryblacks vs Alabama Shiner. Who wins?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users