2014 Annual Convention June 5-8, 2014 Western North Carolina

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

Northwest NC river map and fish species list by basin

What, no Snakeheads? I told you guys we should have done this in eastern PA!

#42 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

Unless you're angling, you probably don't want to be in snakehead habitat. If you wanted to try to seine them, you wouldn't be able to (because you would be waist-deep in mud and spatterdock).

#43 Guest_NativeLover_*

Guest_NativeLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

I cant get the species list to load. Me and wife are considering going.

#44 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

I think the link is broken becasue of the server migration... Gerald can you just re-post it? Might be easier considering all the other little things we are trying to fix right now.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#45 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

Nope I can't -- I get the same error message Casper described.
"Error The server returned an error during upload"

NativeLover (and anyone else) - PM me your email and I will email you the map and fish list.

REPOST of Northwest NC river map and fish species list by river basin
Attached Files

#46 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

Just bumping this to let y'all know that these can be downloaded now!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#47 Guest_NativeLover_*

Guest_NativeLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the re upload. My wife and I will definately try to make it. That is an incredible list of fish! Many, many shiners. I'm quite excited!

#48 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

Latest update on the Convention, now posted to the website...

http://www.nanfa.org...tion/2014.shtml

#49 Guest_EBParks_*

Guest_EBParks_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

It's still 2013, but I'm already geeked out for my second convention! That posted description makes it sound like it will be another great lodging and collecting site.

#50 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

Updated convention information posted to the main NANFA webpage:

We have also made some housing arrangements/options and these will be included in a registration form that will be on the website soon. This looks to be an extra fishy convention and very economical so mark your calendar with the dates here on the title!

#51 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

Updated convention information posted to the main NANFA webpage:

We have also made some housing arrangements/options and these will be included in a registration form that will be on the website soon. This looks to be an extra fishy convention and very economical so mark your calendar with the dates here on the title!

I CAN'T wait. The thought of beating Fritz again, so sweet.

Sent from the Mantaray using tapatalk

#52 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

I CAN'T wait. The thought of beating Fritz again, so sweet.

I feel the same way, but they kind of have the home team advantage. And you may just get picked by Dustin before I snatch you up. He might do it just for spite, that's how he is. :biggrin:

People planning on being in the challenge should be sure to have proper footwear. Felt or studs. We are going to have to work hard and quick, so for safety sake get yourself some good wading boots if you don't already own them. I am not sure about the particular sites, but streams in the Appalachians can be downright dangerous without studs or felt. Studs being preferable for ecological reasons. If you cant afford new boots, you can purchase stud kits separately. If you are really broke, 3/8 inch long 1/4 inch hex head screws from a hardware store may also work. If I were going this route, I would try them out before the convention.

#53 Guest_Nativefishnic_*

Guest_Nativefishnic_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

I am really excited also, this will be my first of many NANFA conventions I will be attending. I'm excited to meet everyone and put faces to names. Skipjack or Mr. Wolfe thinking safety would felt or studded waders be necessary for Friday thru Sunday?

Thank you Nic

#54 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

I know Matt recommends them for this part of the country, but I have been in the area around Linville falls without either and have been able to navigate most places without falling. But I am sure they are going to be going full speed on that one day at least.

Now, I also do not plan on participating in the high energy "gotta catch 'em all" event, a few of us will likely be planning a snorkel day instead, there are some great spots neat there (including the site of the Arganoth).

Boy that video looks terrible, I am so spoiled by what hi-def can do now. For sure I want to go back and take more/better video.

#55 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

I am not sure of what the substrate is like at the sites we are attending. I have fished many of the high elevation streams along the blue ridge parkway, and they are very slick. I wear felted or studded boots almost everywhere I wade. They are not foolproof, but they certainly make wading safer and easier.

Fritz could probably tell you more about the conditions in the area.

#56 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

The Convention website has been updated again! This time with a link that takes you to a registration page where you can select your registration status and your housing options (days with meals included if you are staying at the facility) and even sign up for the collecting challenge.

Check it out... so far I think I am the only one that is now official signed up for the 2014 convention... join me.

#57 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

As Michael pointed out, conditions vary and you can probably get by with rubber soled waders if you move carefully. The challenge sites are primarily cobble,gravel and sand. But would recommend felt soles. I have never tried studded boots. And there will be plenty of opportunity to snorkel.

#58 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

Here are some examples of where we will be visiting. These should give everyone an idea of the variety of conditions we will encounter

Attached Files

#59 Guest_tomterp_*

Guest_tomterp_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

As Michael pointed out, conditions vary and you can probably get by with rubber soled waders if you move carefully. The challenge sites are primarily cobble,gravel and sand. But would recommend felt soles. I have never tried studded boots. And there will be plenty of opportunity to snorkel.

Felt is outstanding on clean rocks, but doesn't grip silt well and is horrific on wet logs or muddy banks. Studs remediate the weaknesses of felt, by biting into mud, algae, silt, misc. slime, rotting logs, etc.

EDIT: I should mention the shortcomings - don't ever wear them in a canoe or kayak, they will tear up the bottom. They'll do similar things to your nice hardwood floors should you be so foolish as to walk in the house forgetting you have them on.

Edited by tomterp, 08 January 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#60 Guest_NativeLover_*

Guest_NativeLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

I haven't posted for a while. I had planned on having a house by now and having a big tank going but that hasn't happened yet. I'm still interested in going to the convention so as it gets closer I'll keep a couple vacation days in reserve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users