2014 Annual Convention June 5-8, 2014 Western North Carolina

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_kamikazi_*

Guest_kamikazi_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

Already marked on my calendar! Any idea how much registration will be for members vs non-members?

If we go out on collecting trips not related to the challange wil be allow to keep the fish? I've never been to anything like this before so I don't know how things work. Can we collect plants as well?

#22 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

My intent is to keep things simple. Registration will be $75 for all which will include the steak dinner/banquet on Friday night.

At the last NC convention, I put the trip leaders on my scientific collecting permit so no one had to buy a fishing license when they were in a group. Outside the Challenge, people can keep anything, in reasonable numbers, that is not protected (I will provide a list) or is a game species. I don't know of any prohibition on plant collecting.

#23 Guest_kamikazi_*

Guest_kamikazi_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

My intent is to keep things simple. Registration will be $75 for all which will include the steak dinner/banquet on Friday night.

At the last NC convention, I put the trip leaders on my scientific collecting permit so no one had to buy a fishing license when they were in a group. Outside the Challenge, people can keep anything, in reasonable numbers, that is not protected (I will provide a list) or is a game species. I don't know of any prohibition on plant collecting.

I already have a fishing license valid through June 10th 2014 so it wouldn't matter too much for me. You mentioned no game species, so we won't be looking to collect any sunfish? I know you have to catch those by hook and line anyway. So the only collecting we'll be doing during the conference is with "special devices" as they are called in NC?

as far as plants go, I'm sure there are species restrictions and location restrictions. I will do some digging and find out just in case anyone wants to know.

#24 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

as far as plants go, I'm sure there are species restrictions and location restrictions. I will do some digging and find out just in case anyone wants to know.

I'd like to know.

#25 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

Already marked on my calendar! Any idea how much registration will be for members vs non-members?

If we go out on collecting trips not related to the challange wil be allow to keep the fish? I've never been to anything like this before so I don't know how things work. Can we collect plants as well?

Here's your answer:
http://www.nanfa.org/cgi-bin/nanfa.cgi

:) just join and support NANFA and what it does for Native Fish

Edited by jblaylock, 17 July 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#26 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

Here's your answer:
http://www.nanfa.org/cgi-bin/nanfa.cgi

:) just join and support NANFA and what it does for Native Fish

Yeah, That would be the best answer. For $20 bucks, why even question it. Just join, get the discounted rate, have fun at the convention, and get to know the NANFA members. You won't regret. Conventions are lots of fun. Next years should be a blast, collecting challenge, awesome locale, and what seems like really neat accommodations.

#27 Guest_kamikazi_*

Guest_kamikazi_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

Well that's why I asked, if discounted convention rate was going to be offerred I would probably signed up and paid right away. Even though Fritz has indicated it would be the same price for all, I might still join just because I feel its a good organization.

Just a thought though, discounts on the conference could prove to be a recruitment tool, esspecially for those on the fence.

I didn't want to resurrect a dead thread so I will mention this here because it relates to membership. I understand that at least a couple years ago A.C was not published in color due to lack of resources, budget etc, I assume that is still the case. Would it be possible to have an full color version avaliable online to paying members only?

#28 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

AC has had color front and back covers and 4 pages of color in the middle for some time now. Several of us have lobbied to have an online version at a reduced rate which would allow us to have full color through out. and potentially additionla photos not in the hard copy.

If you have a fishing license, you can keep any game fish you catch with hook and line.

We've offered discounts to early signees in the past but generally we have a lot of fence sitters. Which makes for anxious times for the host(s). But there will be cutoff deadline about a month before the convention for those who wish to stay at the Forest Service facility. This will allow them time to buy the right amount of food. After the deadline, attendees can either find a nearby motel or camp.

#29 Guest_kamikazi_*

Guest_kamikazi_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

AC has had color front and back covers and 4 pages of color in the middle for some time now. Several of us have lobbied to have an online version at a reduced rate which would allow us to have full color through out. and potentially additionla photos not in the hard copy.

If you have a fishing license, you can keep any game fish you catch with hook and line.

We've offered discounts to early signees in the past but generally we have a lot of fence sitters. Which makes for anxious times for the host(s). But there will be cutoff deadline about a month before the convention for those who wish to stay at the Forest Service facility. This will allow them time to buy the right amount of food. After the deadline, attendees can either find a nearby motel or camp.

Thanks! :)

#30 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

We have not made a decision yet as far as I know, but in almost every convention in the past, we have charged a price for attendance for members and a different price for non-members. The non-member price is essentially a membership and the regular price. I would hope that we do that again. Not only is it appropriate for non-members to "join us" before they join us at a convention. But it does also draw some folks in, so that they can experience membership for a while, and from that hopefully understand what we are all about, and decide to stay with us.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#31 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

That's a good point Michael. Any extra registration cost to non-members would translate into a 1 yr membership and 4 issues of the fantastic American Currents. So really not a penalty to non-members.

And Skipjack is correct. These conventions are a blast even for an old, jaded professional like me. Great group of people!

#32 Guest_kamikazi_*

Guest_kamikazi_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

I got answers for the plant collecting question. I am posting it here and then hopefully in the next couple weeks have a more in depth explanation to put in the collecting section. I hope to go through and determine which plants we will likely encounter and of those which will be protected. Maybe also do a map of the areas in which plant collecting would not be permitted. And for anyone wondering this is NC regulations only.

"Here are answers to your questions, please let Rick Iverson or me know if you have any follow-up questions.

- I know it is illegal to sell and release into the wild invasives like hydrilla, but are there any laws about collecting invasives already in the wild if they are found?

There are no regulations that would prohibit the movement of invasive plants UNLESS they are listed as a State of NC Noxious Weed. The movement of all Noxious weeds is prohibited without a Scientific Permit outside of quarantine areas. If the Noxious Weed is considered a Class A Noxious Weed it’s movement is prohibited across the whole state without a Scientific Permit. Hydrilla IS considered a state of NC Noxious Weed along with several other aquatic plant species and consequently could not be collected and moved without a Scientific Permit. The list of Noxious Weeds in NC can be found at the following link: http://www.ncagr.gov/plantindustry/plant/weed/noxweed.htm The list does not distinguish between terrestrial or aquatic species.

-Also I would assume there are location restrictions as well, similar to terrestrial plants (for example can't remove plants from State Parks) Are there any laws restricting the locations that aquatic and marginal plants can be collected?

Any restrictions on collections of plants or other natural items from locations like State and National Parks or other Natural Areas would be governed by the appropriate land management agency and there probably would be no distinction between aquatic species or terrestrial species. Restrictions on terrestrial species would probably also apply to the aquatic and marginal species.

- I also assume it would be illegal to collect an endangered species.

It is prohibited to remove, damage, or destroy endangered plants on Federal lands

On private lands, species on NC’s protected list (which includes endangered species) a person may collect only with written, dated permission from the landowner. These permits are valid for a maximum of 180 days.

I found the list of protected plants but it seemed to include both aquatic species and terrestrial species. Is there a list of the protected aquatic and marginal species only?

The current list is not sorted by terrestrial/aquatic or other habitat type categories.

David Welch

Plant Conservation Program Administrator

NC Dept. of Ag. and Consumer Services

Plant Industry Division

1060 Mail Service Center

Raleigh, NC 27699-1060

Desk: 919.707.3760

Cell: 919.210.9337

David.Welch@ncagr.gov"

So basically we can collect plants provided that 1. The land management agency (if there is one at the location) allows it. 2. The plant is NOT a noxious weed. 3. The plant is NOT listed on the NC Protected species list.

Edited by kamikazi, 19 July 2013 - 08:13 AM.

#33 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

Thank you. Could you post two lists, one of the endangered plants and one of the noxious weeds?

Edited by EricaLyons, 19 July 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#34 Guest_kamikazi_*

Guest_kamikazi_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

Thank you. Could you post two lists, one of the endangered plants and one of the noxious weeds?

NC Protected Species List
http://www.ncagr.gov...ectedplants.pdf
Federal Noxious Weed List
http://www.aphis.usd...ds/weedlist.pdf
NC Noxious Weed List
http://www.ncagr.gov...eed/noxweed.htm

#35 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

Here's the best approximation of an "NC Aquatic Plants" list I could come up with. I took the Army Corps of Engineers official wetland plant list, sorted them by wetland indicator status (obligate wetland, facultative plants, or upland plants) then deleted everything that was not an "obligate" species. The resulting list of 500+ plants should include all the real aquatic ones, but it also includes lots of emergent wetland plants that grow in saturated soil but not under water. You'll probably recognize many of the genus names from aquarium trade plants, although the species may be different.

Attached Files

#36 Guest_kamikazi_*

Guest_kamikazi_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

Here's the best approximation of an "NC Aquatic Plants" list I could come up with. I took the Army Corps of Engineers official wetland plant list, sorted them by wetland indicator status (obligate wetland, facultative plants, or upland plants) then deleted everything that was not an "obligate" species. The resulting list of 500+ plants should include all the real aquatic ones, but it also includes lots of emergent wetland plants that grow in saturated soil but not under water. You'll probably recognize many of the genus names from aquarium trade plants, although the species may be different.

These wouldnt be just the protected ones though, right. So if we wanted to come up with an "Ok to collect" list we would need to compare this list to the three I linked above, correct?

#37 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Correct ... and good luck with that. For E+T species it might be easier to use the NC Natural Heritage Program database, where you can specify "vascular plants" + "federal or state protected" by county. That will weed out (pun intended) the huge number of rare species in coastal plain wetlands. http://portal.ncdenr...database-search

Fortunately most of the aquatic noxious weeds are also in the eastern half of NC, where we wont be during the convention. Other than Hydrilla which is state-wide, offhand I can't think of any other regulated aquatic weeds in the mountains/ western Piedmont. Hydrilla can sometimes be tricky to distinguish from native Elodea canadensis.

NCDENR also has its own noxious aquatic weeds list with additional species (parrot feather, alligatorweed, anacharis, Uruguay water-primrose, water hyacinth, water lettuce, salvinia). The DENR-listed weeds have no regulations, and are common in the garden pond trade, but obviously we need to be careful about not spreading them ... for We Are NANFA.

#38 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

Hydrilla can sometimes be tricky to distinguish from native Elodea canadensis.

The number of whorls is a handy way to distinguish the species. Hydrilla has three to eight, on average six. Egeria has three to four. Elodea has three always.

There is a diagram on the second page of this pdf: http://www.dnr.sc.go...charisalert.pdf

Posted Image

Also hydrilla is rough to the touch, but that takes a practiced hand to be able to feel the difference, and it helps to have two next to one another to compare.

Edit: (that wasn't really for Gerald, but just general info for everyone coming to the convention)

Edited by EricaLyons, 22 July 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#39 Guest_kamikazi_*

Guest_kamikazi_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Correct ... and good luck with that. For E+T species it might be easier to use the NC Natural Heritage Program database, where you can specify "vascular plants" + "federal or state protected" by county. That will weed out (pun intended) the huge number of rare species in coastal plain wetlands. http://portal.ncdenr...database-search

Fortunately most of the aquatic noxious weeds are also in the eastern half of NC, where we wont be during the convention. Other than Hydrilla which is state-wide, offhand I can't think of any other regulated aquatic weeds in the mountains/ western Piedmont. Hydrilla can sometimes be tricky to distinguish from native Elodea canadensis.

NCDENR also has its own noxious aquatic weeds list with additional species (parrot feather, alligatorweed, anacharis, Uruguay water-primrose, water hyacinth, water lettuce, salvinia). The DENR-listed weeds have no regulations, and are common in the garden pond trade, but obviously we need to be careful about not spreading them ... for We Are NANFA.

I was under the impression you could not sell salvania, but you can give it to someone, maybe I'm wrong.

#40 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

There's four Salvinia species on the USDA federal noxious weed list, and "all species except S. rotundifolia" are on the NCDA state noxious weed list. I haven't studied the regs but I suspect its illegal to give away anything on either list. The agencies interest is in slowing the spread of these weeds, and selling vs give away probably makes no difference to them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users