2014 NANFA Convention

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

ok' thinking of coming to convention, how do I register, and what happens Thursday and sunday.? I am coming from fl, its 11 hours drive so I can get there or back in 1 long day need to plan do I need extra days?

#22 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:04 AM

Here is the link that give you some information http://www.nanfa.org...tion/2014.shtml and about half way down that page it says...

"You can register and select your housing options (which includes meals) and pay via PayPal by clicking here."

That will take you directly to a registration page on-line. But read the page that I linked you to above first so that you can get a feel for the plan. I think Fritz has specific info for each of the days. But to answer your questions directly, there are some electro-fishing demonstrations on Thursday (always interesting to me since different methods yield different fishes). I dont think there are any specific events on Sunday... usually there are collecting trips that you can go with some folks that are in your general "go home" direction.

If it were me, I would spend all day (from 6am to 6pm on Wednesday) and drive up, so that I could participate on Thursday. There are room rate plans for staying Wednesday even at the dorms where we are staying. And you could leave Sunday and drive home. Or you could take in a snorkel with some of us on Sunday and head home on Monday. Again there all the different options for housing on the registration form.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#23 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

Michael is correct. For those of us that will be there Wed night or those who might arrive sometime on Thursday, we will be in the French Broad River near Hot Springs. Hopefully with the Wildlife Resources Commission nongame biologists and their electrofishing boat. There is also opportunity to seine and snorkel in that area. Those who might not make it to the French Broad can seine or snorkel in the Linville River at the Forest Service facility.

On Sunday we will have trips set up in different directions (NE, S, and W for those who might want to collect in the direction of their homes. We will have something set up for those remaining until Monday AM.

I believe my email address is on the registration form, so if you need more info, just email me.

#24 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

just checked and it's not there. fritz.rohde@gmail.com

#25 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Michael is correct.

This part is good, and in my opinion can never be said often enough

Hopefully with the Wildlife Resources Commission nongame biologists and their electrofishing boat. There is also opportunity to seine and snorkel in that area.

Only you would put those two sentences back to back... I have already been "electrofished" by you and Dustin a few time while seining... I do not want to experience it while snorkeling!

I believe my email address is on the registration form, so if you need more info, just email me.

I thought it was there somewhere too... I will go back and add it... sorry... so much for being right in the first sentence :sad2:
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#26 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

The French Broad is a BIG river and has shallow areas not accessible by the boat so your tender body will be safe Michael. Besides getting shocked is a good standard as to how healthy your heart is. Dustin blasted me in the Mayo once and I severely cursed him.

All kidding aside, we will be very cautious around electricity.

#27 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:31 PM

Sorry guys. I sometimes get carried away. If it makes you feel any better, I also blasted myself once while falling into a creek as Fritz just watched.

#28 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:54 AM

Sorry guys. I sometimes get carried away. If it makes you feel any better, I also blasted myself once while falling into a creek as Fritz just watched.

I don't know if it makes Michael and Fritz feel any better, but the visual you create sure lightened up my rainy morning! It also reinforces my decision to be faaaaaar upstream of the collecting challenge. Downstream might be ok, as long as the combatants have recovered enough to stop twitching as they float by.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#29 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

Who's in charge of weather this year? I hear whoever was in charge last year felt you needed to be challenged. Just for the record, Weather Guru, I feel no such need...

That was Matt DLV's only responsibility last year........he blew it

#30 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

I tried everything from anti rain dances, Cloud seeding, and Orgonite crystals. Nothing could save the day. My only job, and I failed miserably.

Through early morning fog I see
Visions of the things to be
The pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see.........

#31 Guest_EBParks_*

Guest_EBParks_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

I'm all signed up too! My wife and I will both be going this year. My only fear is that she will inevitably show me up as a more efficient collector. Other than that, we're really excited about the trip!

#32 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

We'll have to put you on separate teams

#33 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

"You can register and select your housing options (which includes meals) and pay via PayPal by clicking here."

Wow, so instead of contacting the training facility seperately for meals and lodging you added it to registration? Wow, convenient. Is their a deadline for signing up?

#34 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:02 AM

Yes, its sort of there on the website... it says "you will need to send your final payment to NANFA by May 9th". So that is the deadline for signing up.

http://www.nanfa.org...tion/2014.shtml

#35 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

If you're not staying at the Facility but either camping or moteling it, you can probably wait a little longer to register but there is no guarantee that you will get a meal at the banquet. You can still come, but bring your own food. :-)

#36 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

Yay, the Nameless One will be attending! I gotta sign up just for that reason :-)

#37 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

Yes, its sort of there on the website... it says "you will need to send your final payment to NANFA by May 9th". So that is the deadline for signing up.

http://www.nanfa.org...tion/2014.shtml

Shucks...I won't be able to sign up late if my schedule allows? Oh well.

#38 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

I was told they buy enough food to accomadate up to 10 late comers. But don't all of you plan on doing that. It will be first come etc.

#39 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

No fighting in the chow line!

#40 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

I'm not terribly concerned about the banquet, I just don't want to be turned away for trips/talks because I can't sign up a month in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users