2014 NANFA Convention

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:37 PM

Matt what day of the convention are you doing this trip? I may be interested. I have done very little fishing for trout but I consider myself a very good smallmouth fisherman, typically in the 30-40 fish range on one of my favorite Ohio streams when I have time to do it. Got a couple of ultra lights and love using very small jigs for longears and I think those skills would transfer well to brook trout.

#62 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:58 AM

Well, that is still a bit up in the air. Obviously not the collecting challenge day, otherwise I am very open. I will be there from Tuesday until Tuesday. I am waiting on Fritz. I would love to have you along. There is a 200 foot waterfall on this stream, the scenery alone is worth it.

#63 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

I'll stay an extra day for this if you do it Monday, or is it close enough to be a possible Friday activity?

#64 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

Depending on who wants to do it and how long they are staying, it can be done either Fri or Sun. I'll wait until it gets closer to decide

#65 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

Beautiful fish Matt. The stream sounds awesome as well. I am hoping to see some brook trout underwater while I am there. Would this stream be a good one to snorkel? Not while you're fishing of course.

#66 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

Isaac, It is crystal clear. Cold of coarse. I will be there before and after convention, or I can give you directions. In short, I think it would be perfect, and I would love nothing more than seeing some of your photos from this stream.

#67 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

Awesome, thanks Matt!

#68 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

I just tried Google-Mapping the address on the NC Forest Service website: "6065 Linville Falls Highway Newland, NC" and Google Maps sends you to a destination in the Town of Linville, about 6 miles north of the actual site. MapQuest and Bing Maps got it right, on US-221about 1/2 mile south of Crossnore. Street addresses in the mountains can do goofy things inyour phone's GPS, so if you want reliable Lat and Long they are: 36.0129, -81.9319. Our dorms are right beside the river and it looks like there's some nice wadable riffles right there. This site is upstream of Linville Falls and is thus "The Severed Toe" River -- read your latest AC for an explanation.

#69 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

Attached File  SeveredToe.jpg   59.03KB   0 downloads

Photo opportunity, soon to be posted at the bridge crossing into our convention facility.

The Toe River use to flow to the Tennessee River. 10,000 years ago it was rerouted to the Linville River, eventually the Catawba and Atlantic.
Stream Capture. Today, a mix of drainage species can be found in one river, the very river that flows by our 2014 convention facility.

#70 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

Salamander fans BRING FLASHLIGHTS for evening herp hunting. This is the land of Plethodon yonahlossee, among others.
http://www.herpsofnc...on/Ple_yon.html

#71 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:42 PM

Salamander fans BRING FLASHLIGHTS for evening herp hunting. This is the land of Plethodon yonahlossee, among others.
http://www.herpsofnc...on/Ple_yon.html

Of course, herp hunts turn into spider spotting and owl prowls. Owl prowls turn into sunrises and strong, black coffee and back to the water. Criminy. When we gonna sleep?
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#72 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

When we get back home :)

but you lost me at the spider spotting XD

#73 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

Is there a schedule for the convention? I may not be seeing it buried amongst the other posts.

#74 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

When we get back home :)

but you lost me at the spider spotting XD

Spot them before they spot you! Bwuhh hahahahah! ;)
Matt Knepley

#75 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

I have a tentative schedule which I will try to attach. Shoot, I'll just copy and paste. It will be adjusted before and during the convention depending on the group's wishes.

Thurs: Meet on French Broad River below Hot Springs around noon for electrofishing and regular collecting
Snorkelers do Linville River
Late arrivals sample Linville River
Fri: Brook trout fishing with Matt
Re-do French Broad with those who couldn’t make it Thurs
Snorkelers
New River trip
Nolichucky/Cane River trip
Banquet/auction
Sat: Collecting challenge
Snorkelers
Where do others want to go? New, Toe or Catawba
Sun: head home: New River and eastward, western French Broad, southern French Broad
Stay local with overnighters.

#76 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

Wait wait wait wait wait, there are hot springs?

#77 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

This isn't an itinerary; this is a finny frenzy! Looking forward to it and meeting everyone. As for the trips, I can't wait to hit the New, Nolichucky, and Toe.
Matt Knepley

#78 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

Wait wait wait wait wait, there are hot springs?

Its the name of a town... but they seem to believe that they do in fact have hot springs...
Hot Springs, NC, a resort destination for almost 200 years, has long been renowned for its healing hot mineral springs, scenic mountain setting, and abundance of natural resources. Recently voted the Best Small Mountain Town from Georgia to West Virginia by readers of Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine you will find we have welcoming small town feeling.

Hot Springs, NC Is just 40 minutes north of Asheville. We are located at the junction of the Appalachian Trail and the French Broad River in a valley surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Pisgah National Forest. And Hot Springs is North Carolina's only town Appalachian Trail Town.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#79 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

I have a tentative schedule which I will try to attach. Shoot, I'll just copy and paste. It will be adjusted before and during the convention depending on the group's wishes.

Thurs: Meet on French Broad River below Hot Springs around noon for electrofishing and regular collecting
Snorkelers do Linville River
Late arrivals sample Linville River
Fri: Brook trout fishing with Matt
Re-do French Broad with those who couldn’t make it Thurs
Snorkelers
New River trip
Nolichucky/Cane River trip
Banquet/auction
Sat: Collecting challenge
Snorkelers
Where do others want to go? New, Toe or Catawba
Sun: head home: New River and eastward, western French Broad, southern French Broad
Stay local with overnighters.

Fritz, if you want to refine that a bit I could put our agenda up on the internet page for the convention.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#80 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:47 AM

We'll need to know a specific rendezvous spot and time for this, beforehand, regardless of whether we plan on meeting at the base camp and convoying over, or as little groups converge somewhere near Hot Springs.

It's getting close !

d.d.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fritz: "We're wasting daylight !"
Gerald: "We're wasting nighttime !!"
MattK: "Criminy! When are we gonna sleep???"
Erica: "When we get back home."
---------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users