2014 NANFA Convention

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#81 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

We'll be working in the lower French Broad River area near Huff Island from Mid-morning to late afternoon near Hot Springs. Those who can't join us there can fool around in the Linville River at the facility

coordinates 35.935115 -82.888095

Attached Files

#82 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

Fritz,

Maybe I missed this, but do we need a fishing license during the convention?

#83 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

Fritz,

Maybe I missed this, but do we need a fishing license during the convention?

The way I understood was you do not need a license unless you plan to go trout fishing with Matt DLV. or any collecting on your own. Fritz has worked some kind of voodoo to have us covered by various scientific collecting permits while on official collecting trips.

However; Last I checked an NC fishing license for 10 days for a nonresident is 10 bucks so I'll probably scoop one for S&Gs.

#84 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

It's odd i will be leaving from near Pisgah (Pisgah park NH), to arrive near Pisgah (Pisgah forest). Arriving at the state with the highest Appalachian mountain (Mount Mitchell, number 1 in height measured in elevation) after leaving the state with the highest Appalachian mountain. (Mt Washington, number one in height measured in prominance).

#85 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

Robert is correct. Trip leaders (and participants) will be covered under my scientific collecting permit. If you go on your own before or after the meeting, then get the 10 day license

#86 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

So, I don't think I've ever stayed in a dormitory type setting. Do we need to bring sleeping bags, pillows,towels, etc..

#87 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

No. linens, towels etc are provided

#88 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

bring your own sheets?

#89 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

Look carefully above: There is a period after the word "No". Failure to capitalize "Linens" made it look like "No linens"
But I'm pretty sure the real meaning is:
No (you dont need to bring sheets, towels). Linens and towels ARE provided.

#90 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

You must be right Gerald, but this needs to be clarified. People will be quite disgruntled if they don't have anything to sleep on besides a mattress. I can't imagine that they don't provide bedding at the minimum. It would be particularly difficult for guests who are flying.

#91 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

I have always been very gruntled with my NANFA convention accommodations.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#92 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

Me too, but then again, I am an easily gruntled person.

#93 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting excited!

Posted Image

#94 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Aren't we all !!! River flows in northwest NC are about normal for the season today, near or below their long-term median flow. NOAA weather forecast at Spruce Pine (near the center of our area of activity) is as follows:
  • Thursday A chance of showers and thunderstorms after 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 82. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
  • Thursday Night A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Friday A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 79. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Friday Night A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 59. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Saturday A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 79. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Saturday Night A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 59. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Sunday A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 78. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
The usual afternoon-evening thunderstorms are not expected to drop huge amounts of rain overall (0.1 to 0.3 inch per day) and so they shouldn't raise the creeks very much region-wide, but of course a small locally-intense T-storm can drive a small creek up pretty quick.

If you want check stage & flow conditions, here's the USGS link for NC stream gauges: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/rt
... or this one, a little simpler to use: http://waterwatch.us...ov/?m=real&r=nc

There will be plenty of HOT sun (between T-storms), so anybody planning to take fish back alive might want to freeze several small HALF-full water bottles (8 to 16 oz) that you can float in your cooler as needed to prevent overheating. I freeze them laying down so they're less likely to crack, and put them in a ziplock bag in the cooler so they dont over-chill the fish too quickly. Battery-powered aeration is also recommended.

And one other HOT BREAKING NEWS ITEM: I fear we may lose Casper on Friday night to this event just a few miles down the Catawba River: http://www.indyweek....ent?oid=4171352

#95 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

I wonder why they are only doing it on Friday? A Livermush Festival is worthy of a full week bracketed by culinary extreme weekends. Still, perhaps Saturday a slight detour and Livermush Lunch may put Team Snorkel over the top in the challenge. Liver Pudding, Mush's milder cousin, should be available just about anywhere in NC and could show up on the morning menu at the Hellitack at some point. I know Frogmore Stew will be served earlier in the week. Fungi throughout and speargunned roughfish perhaps.
Thanks for the alert Gerald.
:)
Thundershowers are par for the course, and that is a reasonable forecast and one that should provide for clarity at most snorkel sites.

#96 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

The weather channel forecast looks better. I'm going off that one!

#97 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

They provide linens and towels

#98 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

See you tomorrow night Mr. Rhode. I am looking forward to it. I should have some brook trout in tow.

#99 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:50 AM

I wonder why they are only doing it on Friday? A Livermush Festival is worthy of a full week bracketed by culinary extreme weekends. Still, perhaps Saturday a slight detour and Livermush Lunch may put Team Snorkel over the top in the challenge. Liver Pudding, Mush's milder cousin, should be available just about anywhere in NC
:)

Where I come from, we call it scrapple or more locally ponhaus. Although ours may not have the same mandated percentage of liver, they're basically the same thing.

#100 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:03 AM

Less than 24 hours and I'll be on the road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users