2014 NANFA Convention

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

I plan on attending all 5 nights to maximize my experience in the region. Let me say this... it is an awesome region! At the facility too, as one can walk right out of your dorm room and be in the Linville River, a unique river because of a stream capture event that occured 10,000 years ago. Tennessee Drainage River Chubs above Linville Falls and the mighty Blueheads below the Falls, same river! Firey Blacks and Warpaints intermingled. Saffrons, Redlips and Galacturas swimming alongside. That should satisfy most everyone in jostling and favorite seekers.
The upcoming issue of American Currents has more details on the stream capture event and the unique diversity the river offers, the very river we are sleeping alongside!

Fritz is offering one fine event, and unique in that near all meals, lodging and the convention fee is in one economical and convenient package.

I had visited the site and facility years ago and thought how it would make for a great fishy gathering location. Very comfortable, convenient, woodsy rustic and plenty of room for evening activities. And though we have no speakers as in our typical conventions i am sure we will have impromptu evening talking heads, gatherings, slideshows, videos or in the case of rain.

Fritz... i am curious as to how many folks are signed up now?

I am waiting til May 1 to sign my name, which i suspect many do because one never quite knows what the future brings in personal, business and family needs.
But the sooner we sign up the easier it is for Fritz because of all the logistics he must work with. So let's make it easy on him and do not what til the last few days to decide.

I have only missed 2 since 1998 and i do not want to miss this unique opportunity!

#42 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

I registered me and my hubby. This'll be our first NANFA convention :D
Poor guy. Everyone be nice to him; he was a biology student who after entering a relationship with me decided he is sick of fish. So it works out sorta strange; he's the one who's actually gone electro shocking and I'm the one who's been in a stream three times in the past five years.

#43 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

Casper - I have 23 so far actually registered plus several verbal commitments. Thanks for the pep rally! :biggrin:

Erica - you and your hubby should see many fantastic fishes. You might give up Elassoma after this.

Matt Delavega is offering a trout collecting trip also.

#44 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

The trout trip will be angling only. Catch and release only, unless you purchase a valid North Carolina license with trout stamp. I will have several fly rods, plenty of flies, and other gear. Our target will be native southern Appalachian brook trout. I am quite familiar with angling for this species. They are very eager to bite, and am confident that as long as conditions are good all should hook into a fish or two. We will be wading very small high elevation streams. These streams are very slick. Felt or studs are mandatory. Also the water is very cold, and even in June, the air temps at 5000 feet can be a bit chilly. I am going to have to limit the trip to 5 people due to the size of the streams, and so that if anyone needs some extra help, that I am not spread too thin. These are not big fish, 3-6 inches is average, though I have caught 12 inch fish in the stream that we will be targeting. A short hike is required. If we have enough time, there is a hatchery fairly nearby that we can tour that is on the Davidson river. The Davidson if full of huge brown and rainbow trout, and even more interesting lots of hellbenders.

#45 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

I have been to the hatchery and hatcherys are always interesting to visit. Sadly surrounding Hemlocks have been decimated by the invasive aphid insect and their skeletal frames reach to the sky and sunlight pours into a once shelter shaded mountain stream. Downstream is not attractive to snorkeling as the nutrient load from the hatchery is excessive and the sun and nutrients creat an algae bloom. But yes Hellbenders a plenty.
Maybe we can find a restaurant nearby that serves those farmed foreign Rainbows.

#46 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

Historically 23 registerees seems like a good number at this time... less than 2 months away.

#47 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

There is a good BBcue place right there.

#48 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

There is Spears BBQ in Linville Falls and Carolina BBQ in Newland, both about 10 minutes away.

I'll check but I think you will need a fishing license even if it's catch and release.

#49 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

a 10 day license is $10 and trout license is an additional $10

#50 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Fritz, should people contact me directly about this trip?

#51 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Also Fritz, my wife is a pretty good photographer, so we will get some streamside photo tank pics. I will also bring a couple in a dark bucket back for Uland and everyone else interested in taking pictures. If your permit will not cover a voucher that is under size, they will have to be at least 7 inches. Shame to waste them, gonna have to eat them.

#52 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

Matt, is the stream designated as fly-fish only, or can we throw spinners and dunk worms, too. (Yes, barbaric, but it's how I cast...) :)

Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#53 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

The brook trout stream is not fly only, but is single hook artificial only. So no worms, scented baits etc.

#54 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

The brook trout stream is not fly only, but is single hook artificial only. So no worms, scented baits etc.

Would dangling a quarter stick off a 1/0 count?
Matt Knepley

#55 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

Stream-side is good. And my permit, which you will have a copy of, should allow you to bring one back for photos and to be vouchered in the Museum

#56 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

Would dangling a quarter stick off a 1/0 count?

What is that? A piece of wood to look like a caddis?

#57 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

What is that? A piece of wood to look like a caddis?

No, these are smallish fish, so I wouldn't want to overdo anything. It's the microfishing equivalent of a half stick of tnt. (Ben's got some connections, but we gotta keep it on the down low...) The hook would be to keep it legal...

(Yes, it was a bad joke...)
Matt Knepley

#58 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

Naw, this is 100% above board. I have the utmost respect for southern App. Brookies. They were everywhere at one time, now they are surviving in only headwaters with natural barriers keeping browns and rainbows out. Plus they are gorgeous.

Attached Files

#59 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

Absolutely, Matt. Lame jokes aside, I am in the native brookie fan club. Not that I look down on stockie-brookies, or other fish, but I consider a 5-6" native brookie I got just on the SC side of the SC/NC mountains border as the highlight of my admittedly limited fishing career. And I agree, they are gorgeous. No prettier fish, fresh or salt water, anywhere on this earth, as far as I am concerned. That's why I had a brook trout as my avatar, until it got away...
Matt Knepley

#60 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

They are great. Pretty cool- my omniscient wife realized that my last years NC license and stamp are still good until July!

I hope a few of you anglers join in on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users