bass in a 55 gallon

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

He has been working with wood for about 15 years or more, And he is in a wood working group

#22 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

This is why I scavenge glass wherever I can...One never knows.

#23 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the offer, I will remember that for when I have the tank and if i still want a bass. By the way, what type of bass are they?

This is the hatchery. http://www.jonesfish.com/catalog/2

I would need to be compensated for all costs though, so keep that in mind.

#24 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

Matt's compensation rate is rather high, just so you know....Think in terms of $500/hour

#25 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

Aww, that is just the discounted rate that I offer you, for most the cost is much less.

#26 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for the, um, discount? I THOUGHT $200 was rather much for a single F. notatus...

#27 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

Caveat emptor.

#28 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

Why does everything have to be hard to get in southern California for native fish. We do though have weird laws, but they could at least sell darters, rock bass, other sunfish, etc. Do you know of a place that has white crappie? Or a rock bass? shadow bass? Or a mud sunfish?

Edited by Leo1234, 19 November 2013 - 10:12 PM.

#29 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

Nobody really produces white crappie for pond stocking. People do not want them because they really tend to overpopulate. No market-no demand-no production.

#30 Guest_Pumpkinsteve_*

Guest_Pumpkinsteve_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

Green sunfish would be cool, but aren't they one of the most aggressive sunfish? If they would do well with fish like a central longear and a lake chubsucker, then I guess it would be cool.

My experience with green sunfish is that they are not the most aggressive Lepomis in general. Every fish is different, and will become more or less aggressive based on tank mates, food, temperature, season, and age. Aggression is a dynamic ever changing thing. My observation is that the most aggressive Lepomis are "teenagers" i.e. they have just matured to their strongest and fastest form. I've had fish like this that I've separated out to a solo tank, and then recombined them later with the same exact community after they have they have matured more. Of the Lepomis that I've raised, greens tend to get fat and lazy with age, which makes for an excellent alpha. I have a tank now with green as the alpha, and he rarely chases any fish more than a very short time, maybe 6 or 12 inches, which is never enough to make actual contact.

Green's have the largest mouth of all the Lepomis, if your chubs will fit they they will get eaten.

If you go green, I would suggest only 1, green on green hate is a common problem.

#31 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

I have 3 bluegills, 1 black crappie, 1 lake chubsucker, 1 longear, 1 bullhead all in a 2-6 inch range

#32 Guest_gitano_*

Guest_gitano_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

I kept large-mouth bass in a 50-gal aquarium for many years. There were bluegills, brown bullheads, and Cambarus sp. in the same tank. The bass was about the same length as the bluegills.

Large-mouth bass are VERY "unfriendly" to every other animal in an aquarium. The sunfish and bullheads were large enough to fend for themselves, but the bass was always aggressive toward its natural food.

I think you could enjoy keeping LM bass in a 50 gal aquarium if you keep their size to 6 inches or less, BUT you should be prepared to "eat" them if they outgrow your tank. DO NOT RELEASE ANY FISH TO "THE WILD"!!!

Paul

#33 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

I am getting a 120 and i was wondering where i can get

Shoal Bass
Redeye Bass
Spotted Bass

#34 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

In there natural habitat. These fish simply are not aquacultured, and since they are gamefish, have to be taken hook and line. In other words, you probably can't.

#35 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

so im guessing a small and largemouth would be unsuitable for a 120 meaning black bass are not an option.

#36 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

No, you can purchase SMB, and LMB. The others you named are pretty much not available commercially. LMB and SMB would do well for a long time in a 120.

#37 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

but would the large mouth outgrow the tank? if yes, than it's probably not a good choice for me to get one, unless it takes about 6+ years to start to outgrow the tank. would it try to eat my coppernose bluegills that are rapidly going and are about 6in right now?

Edited by Leo1234, 22 December 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#38 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

I can't answer that. It depends on feeding, temperature, and water changes. These will all affect how fast your fish grow. It will be quite some time before a black bass would ever be able to eat a 6 inch Lepomis.

#39 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

the temp would be 70-82, i would feed it earthworms, bloodworms. I do not want to lose any fish to another fish in my tank. hopefully my warmouth and black crappie can get to 6in+ by the summer. my other problem is I have 2 creek chubs and i can not put them anywhere else except my 20gallon that has fathead minnows and a pirate perch soon. I might get rainbow darters for the 20 also... This seems like it will not be able to work out. any suggestions? the website i would get the bass at sells them at 2in

Edited by Leo1234, 22 December 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#40 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

No more suggestions, except slow down, and experiment. You don't need them all today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users