Is this a good spawning plan?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:44 PM

After considering it, I think the darters might spawn if I placed them in the 10g because of the increased temp, 14 hours of direct light, and heavy vegetation. My only worry putting them in there is the Corys and them all of the bottom might be ramped since the driftwood takes up a lot of space.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#22 Ken

Ken
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:36 PM

Sean, I am not positive if this is the case but I have read somewhere of speculation that too high of temperature increase actully signals some fish (possibly darters) to stop spawning. After reading your thread I decided to see when I noticed my Johnnie fry in their growout tank, which was on 5/3. I then looked back the two weeks prior to get an idea of the temps in my system and it averaged @ 59 degrees. Could it be you had two females together? My males all went into spawning display. By the way I keep them in groups of 6-8 in a 15 gal. just because it's too difficult to sex them. So I increase the odds in groups. Is there a chance since individuals were getting beat up that there weren't enough hiding places for each individual? Just a thought.

In Seine Creek Stomping

Admin: Percidae Husbandry; a Closed Facebook Group

#23 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:53 PM

Sean, I am not positive if this is the case but I have read somewhere of speculation that too high of temperature increase actully signals some fish (possibly darters) to stop spawning. After reading your thread I decided to see when I noticed my Johnnie fry in their growout tank, which was on 5/3. I then looked back the two weeks prior to get an idea of the temps in my system and it averaged @ 59 degrees. Could it be you had two females together? My males all went into spawning display. By the way I keep them in groups of 6-8 in a 15 gal. just because it's too difficult to sex them. So I increase the odds in groups. Is there a chance since individuals were getting beat up that there weren't enough hiding places for each individual? Just a thought.

Maybe that's the case, I doubt they'll spawn this year at this point though. Maybe after being housed in my new Fishroom next winter which will get down to the mid 50's I'll have better luck after the temp rises.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users