2016 New Hampshire convention proposal

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

A few worries crossed my mind

Some of these fish are at the edge of their range or special concern. Any way to do a sampling/collecting group without descending like a swarm of locusts on a vulnerable population,

Will kick netting disturb rare mussel species found near some of these areas.

How do we deal with "gas traps" (those areas where the silt bubbles up gas pulling you down) and mud that gets softer each time you cross it. These can be problematic alone, would they be worse for a group?

In the plan for the northern red belly dace search was to break up in small groups of 3 to 5 people to cover more sites,
hardly a swarm of locusts. If sites have particular species of concern, fish or otherwise we will take that into consideration Josh!

The other dace I mentioned in the north were if some wanted to stay an extended period just to check out the north country again not likely to be a hoard of crazed collectors.

Regarding the gas traps...watch out for each other and know what you're walking into. Don't go Rambo in a tidal muck hole when tides returning.
Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#22 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:57 PM

t work I realized I was worrying too much, because by the time of the convention we'd have scouted out locations and have set up our Fish and Game and DNR contacts and have OKed species and locations of concern with them,

#23 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:35 AM

One of the most interesting possibilities here is that of discovery. Among the sites we found were ones of uncertain ranges/;pcations of NRBD and finescale dace, flost finescale dace, found only once but likely population redfin pickerel, and maybe pearl dace. Finding lost or theoretical populations would be awesome.

#24 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:34 AM

I heard back from Seacoast Science Center. They thanked me for the heads up about being on the agenda.

#25 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

Been seeking info on salters (sea run trout) as we'd be located on the coast and the saltwater fishing guide lists them and some of you want to catch brook trout. So far most of the info I findd on sea run brookies is from Massachusetts http://www.searunbrookie.org/ the only real sea run trout info I could find from NH is about introduced brown trout in Berry Brook http://www.unionlead...plate=mobileart oncluding fish and game survey cards for them. http://www.wildlife....sea_run_BT.html

Now I look more into sea run brookie.org they seem to be a non profit group dedicated to brookie research and restoration. Sounds like a potential allie if not partner for NANFA.

#26 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:08 PM

I wonder if the boost in out of state licence sales a convention would bring will help NH Fish and Game with their funding issues. http://www.wildlife....ainability.html I am sure they will benefit a bit from it.

#27 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:08 PM

Love those brackish/saltwater fish. That area would completely new to me. DC is the furthest north I've been on the east coast.

#28 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:31 AM

Love those brackish/saltwater fish. That area would completely new to me. DC is the furthest north I've been on the east coast.

Brackish/salt are awesome, when you think you seen it all you find more fish in the sea. Here are pictures for your perusal,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://gallery.nanfa...oast/?g2_page=1

#29 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

And who doesn't like mummichogs? NH is all about boosting state revenue, given there's no sales or personal income tax....
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#30 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

Is pic #2 of a gunnel?
Nick L.

#31 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

Is pic #2 of a gunnel?

Yep, a big one too.The only one I ever caught and a fish Mike really wants to find.

And who doesn't like mummichogs? NH is all about boosting state revenue, given there's no sales or personal income tax....

It makes no sense to me either. We'd pay any fine or fee, but if you call it a tax.... The worse example was when I was back in high school (it was a jr/sr high, both in one building), My school was overcrowded and rife with bullying. They had two choices. 1. Build a middle school which meant a rise in taxes. 2. add constant expansions to the current school which costs alot more in the long run. They chose 2 since option 1 was taxes.

#32 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

We have heard some comments here, and it seems to me that there is a fair amount of interest. The board needs to vote on this soon. So as kind of a favor to us who need to vote on this and make it our 2016 convention, Could as many of you chime in as possible. We know that NH is an out of the way location, and has less species diversity than many convention locations, but it certainly has plenty of interesting things to offer. Let us know if you plan on attending. I know things change, and I am not asking for a blood oath, just would love to hear from everyone, so that we can get an idea of turnout. This will not determine how the board votes, but it will help us as well as the hosts.

Thanks, Matt

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#33 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

If my schedule and finances allow, I'll attend.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#34 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

I would like to go.
Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#35 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

I would consider going, but it's hard to say for sure. It's far away, and, I mean no offense, but as a snorkeler I haven't heard much to be excited about. I would be less likely to attend than other recent conventions, but I would still probably try to make it if circumstances allow.

Is there any good saltwater snorkeling with interesting species and decent clarity (10+ ft) in the area? Mikez, it seems like you have mentioned snorkeling saltwater up there?

#36 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:41 PM

Thanks guys. Keep it coming. I have such fond memories of the state and interest beyond fish, that I love the excuse to go up there. But I want a realistic idea of what people think about it. The Nevada convention was not huge, but was reasonably well attended considering the distance. It did have the draw of seeing some really special fish, even if the diversity was not large.

I am still intigued by the saltwater component. I hope Mikez will jump in and give us the run down on the salty snorkeling.

#37 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:12 PM

I think the NV convention was HUGE and to my understanding raised the most convention money ever, unless the last couple conventions surpassed it.
I was my favorite convention for just pure adventure.

NH offers a unique adventure as well. I have never really been to New England so i would be keen to explore. Keep studying on the potentials there. Surely there is clear water to dunk myself in and see things i have never seen before.

OK is on the agenda now though and promises to be pretty good with Brandon's hospitality and experiences.
Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#38 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:29 PM

I'd definitely go, only a 9 hour drive for me whereas Oklahoma is about 17. I'd also love to setup a tidepool biotope.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#39 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

Oh, that is great to know Casper. I thought the Nevada convention only had around 30 attendees? I believe it has been surpassed in income, but Tom would know that better than I.

The good thing is that Oklahoma is going to be great and will be another well attended convention and should bring in some decent revenue for NANFA. So if this NH convention has lower attendance, which is likely, it won't hurt us too much after a few great conventions, financially speaking.

#40 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:17 PM

I'm ready to go to NH just for the fact that it is different.

Yes the last three conventions have been big revenue generators for NANFA. But I dont think NH would necessarily be that small.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users