2016 New Hampshire convention proposal

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#61 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

FORWARD MOMENTUM ACQUIRED!!!!!

After a couple months silence on this I decided to take the initiative and call fish and game for a scientific collecting permit for scouting locations for the convention, and I got my application. This is a major step forward as it means I can stop feeling trapped by rules changes and lack of replies and start moving forward.

It was odd hearing the guy talk, he tried explaining collecting rules to me for the convention itself (I told him convention rules and permitting that was Fritz;s job) and he kept contradicting himself.

#62 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

Here is how the schedule is looking so far. This may be subject to change though as it is not finalized. Mike Lucas did a great job organizing the events into a schedule,

NANFA CONVENTION 2016. Portsmouth NH. June 9th-12th

THURSDAY

Check in and registration at the Best Western in Portsmouth

Local collecting trips

Hospitality Room

FRIDAY

Tide Pooling, Brackish, and Coastal Sampling and a picnic ar Odiorne Point State Park.

Alternate Collecting trips

SATURDAY

Gulf Challenger. A research vessel that will do a demonstration finfish survey with an otter trawl, It will either be at the Isle of Shoals (3-4 hours) or Great and Little Bays (4-6 hours). This trip is limited to 39 people. 

Alternate collecting trips for those not on the boat.

Banquet and Auction.

SUNDAY

Collecting trips

SPEAKERS: Speakers will be spread out across the week. 1 - 4 a night depending on the length of the talks. 

Their will be a post collecting trip in Northern NH to seek dace and view moose from Sunday to Tuesday.

#63 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:31 AM

Interesting Chaotic One and the Lucas.

When do we eat lobster?  Make this NH banquet unique!

I like the speakers spread out across the week.

Otter Trawl?  FinFish?

I like the 3 day post convention offer.

It is a long way away.

Edited by Casper, 15 September 2015 - 11:32 AM.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#64 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:37 AM

Long way away, yes, but it will sneak up on our convention hosts with a quickness.

Looking forward to this.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#65 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

New England Lobster Bake & Muddy River Barbeque Buffet for Saturday Night is the plan waiting on an estimate.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#66 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:26 AM

I so hope I make this one. But when you're 0 for 3...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#67 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:46 AM

But when you're 0 for 3...

... then your due!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#68 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:51 PM

New England Lobster Bake & Muddy River Barbeque Buffet.

Both that sounds good Lucas! Is that a AND or an OR?  My vote would be Lobster Bake!  Where else could i get that?

It is a long way away.

I mean this in both meanings, time AND distance.

I'm thinking Michael will pick me up in a bus.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#69 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:47 PM

Both.

Also one of the parks where we will be tide pooling Friday also has a neat little Seacoast Science Center with several aquariums as well as hiking trails and playground for family members not interested in spending all day fishing.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#70 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:01 PM

I'm thinking Michael will pick me up in a bus.

Just have to figure out where to buy something like this...

Attached File  bus.jpg   61.82KB   0 downloads

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#71 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:33 PM

Is that "THE" magic bus?

#72 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

I might be able to join this year. The only problem is that I have to go to school on the 9th for graduation and will have to miss that day of the convention. otherwise I might be able to make it.

#73 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:12 PM

High school graduation? Ha! I skipped mine to go fishing. No regrets, though I often wonder how I would look in a gown?

#74 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:18 PM

Yeah... my mom is making me go to High school graduation because it is "a special day I wouldn't want to miss". Honestly I would rather not go since I really am done with going to that school and not having to go to the graduation is a better option than attending the graduation. In other words, I want to get out of there asap and not wait 3 days just to go back to say my "farewell". I would rather be fishing! 

#75 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:03 AM

Attached File  img_0919.jpg   89.77KB   0 downloads

Inside the NANFA bus!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#76 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:34 AM

I'm hoping to go.  It is a long way.  I'm either looking to carpool again, or may see if the family wants to come and make it a mini-vacation.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#77 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

Josh: I'm hoping to go.  It is a long way.  I'm either looking to carpool again, or may see if the family wants to come and make it a mini-vacation.

That is the way i am looking at it too.

The Bus / Van idea may be an interesting option.
I figure about 2 days from Atlanta/Chattanooga/Knoxville.  That totals 4 days of travel.  1 day arrive early, Wednesday and situate.  4 days at the convention, Thursday - Sunday.  2 days post convention NH Dace Hunt, Monday and Tuesday.  = 11 or 12 days.

I have generated a calendar to see the schedule visually.  Looks like the 11 day trip would be bracketed by weekends, perhaps allowing more time or more likely to prep and re-situate before returning to Monday's needs.
That makes 2 weeks total.  I doubt most of us can do this.  But if anyone is interested in this possibility say so.  I am unsure about my 2003 van's capability.  The number going would determine the vehicle needed.  3=mini van, 6=passenger van, 12=magic bus!

Attached File  NANFA-NH-2016-Calender.jpg   52.45KB   2 downloads

Edited by Casper, 17 September 2015 - 12:10 PM.

Casper Cox

#78 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

Just how long are edits allowed on posting? Less than 10 minutes it seems.  I think it should be adjusted to 30 minutes.

Anyway...

Here is a more detailed calendar...

Attached File  NANFA-NH-2016-Calender.jpg   62.25KB   2 downloads

Casper Cox

#79 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:36 PM

I believe the DLV clan will be there for roughly two weeks. So we may be into a bit of before and after convention fun.

#80 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

Is there any camping close to the hotel?

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users