2016 Convention T shirt contest

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:12 AM

Y'all just need to go ahead and ask Dave to do his thing.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#22 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:24 PM

No No No Martin.  Our NH hosts desire a contest.  Ask Dave to submit artwork.  I have seen 2 interesting entries so far and i suspect Josh and Mike are holding several in their cold Yankee mittens.  I am eager to see all of them!  Creativity reigns!

Perhaps this will yield higher shirt sales promoting NANFA and the convention.  Something very much lacking in these last years.  I still have a pile of OH and NC shirts.  They are discounted on our website if anyone is inclined for winter wear.

The more i ponder it... the more i like the use of a coastal marine NH fish of interest... now that is just one member's opinion, be it mine that i am currently aware of.

And if it is not a marine sculpin perhaps someone so inclined can request Ballast Point Brewing Company to donate a few cases of Sculpin Brew.

I suspect it would go well with Lobster or BBQ.  That brings up a point... do i really have to chose between one or the other at banquet time?  I inquired of a distinguished member and was told i could have my lobster AND sample the BBQ if i sat next to our president.  And to ensure this i marked his name on the recent ballot.  Though i may need Matt or Dustin to attest to this.

I do hope to attend... dang it is a long way, but to lands and waters i have never seen.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#23 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for clearing up the past fish shirt issue Casper. Before posting I did do a quick image search for nanfa shirts and their were some I did not find. (South Carolina, Florida, Nevada, Oklahoma) and I didn't see the species labled on Alabama so wrongly assumed a heavilly spotted killifish was a studfish.

I hope to see you their Casper. I am curious on where you will snorkel. I remember when we visited Pierce Island one side the Piscataqua river was calm and on the other side a bit off shore the current was strong and wondered if anyone would brave a river whose powerful currents have been infamous. (obviously someone did, I posted a video with snorklers finding lobsters, anemones, and black sea bass)

#24 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

Both are neat. Is there any concern about the origin of the brook trout image? I know this is only a design and it does not have to be that exact image. I assume there are more open source trout images than there are non game images?

If you need some trout images you can use some of mine.

ft4+trout+3+rsz.jpg

brookie+1.jpg

brookie+2+rsz.jpg

That last one may be a stocked fish

#25 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

I don't know that the image is a problem . Just wondering? Our artwork has typically been done specifically for us. That does not need to change, Just need to get someone like Dave to do it.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#26 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:52 PM

I don't know that the image is a problem . Just wondering? Our artwork has typically been done specifically for us. That does not need to change, Just need to get someone like Dave to do it.

Not sure, my first idea was comissioning either Karen Talbot (a great nature artist who did lots of fish work) or Jan (A NANFA member who showed me his fish art). The awesome idea for a contest came from Mike, I felt it was a far better idea than mine. 

#27 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:07 PM

I am just thinking that there may be some open source brook trout art out there since it is such a popular fish. If you have some people in mind, that is great too. Something to check out if there is any sort of time crunch. 

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#28 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:04 PM

Casper, the banquet will be a buffet so some of each should be doable.  I was planning on seeking some donations from Ballast Point Brewing  particularly the Sculpin and/or Grapefruit Sculpin brew, and/or their artwork.  I thought it might be fun to see if a contest might open the door for some hidden talent or novel idea. (Novel:1. new and not resembling something formerly known or used 2. original or striking especially in conception or style.)   Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. 

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#29 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:11 AM

Certainly not stepping on my toes.  I am eager to see new ideas.  I have done NANFA designs long enough.  The reason i did was to raise money for NANFA.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#30 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:53 AM

Mike or Josh is there a deadline for the contest? I am pushing my wife to submit a design but a deadline may help move her along...

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#31 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:34 PM

Casper what fish only lives or lived in New Hampshire?

The only one I can think of is the extinct Silver Trout Salvelinus fontinalis agassizi from Dublin Pond, NH.

The Silver Trout could make a good conservation themed shirt.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#32 Gavinswildlife

Gavinswildlife
  • NANFA Guest
  • Canton, OH

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:52 PM

The Sunapee Trout from lake Sunapee.

Casper what fish only lives or lived in New Hampshire?

The only one I can think of is the extinct Silver Trout Salvelinus fontinalis agassizi from Dublin Pond, NH.

The Silver Trout could make a good conservation themed shirt.

#33 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

Any limitations on size/shape/proportions?

Redhorse ID downloads and more: http://moxostoma.com

#34 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:43 AM

I forgot about Sunapee Trout, but they do live in Idaho now and I thought they were introduced in Main too.

That would be a good one too.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#35 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

I forgot about Sunapee Trout, but they do live in Idaho now and I thought they were introduced in Main too.

That would be a good one too.

Sunapee trout Salvelinus alpinus oquassa is an odd one. It is a subspecies of arctic char whose subspecies also includes the quebec red trout and blueback trout of Maine. The last few individuals from Lake Sunapee are found in Floods Pond in Maine, but Maine has its own Blueback strains.

According to wikipedia "DNA analysis done in the latter half of the twentieth century on museum specimens of the Sunapee lake strain of the Sunapee golden trout found that all lacustrine populations of Arctic char in north eastern North America have been isolated from each other for near equal amounts of time, indicating that there is no special, distinguishing characteristics between the Sunapee trout of New Hampshire and Vermont and the blueback trout of northern Maine."

But here is where it gets really odd. Despite being all the same the surviving populations are diverging. In different lakes they focus on different prey and have some slight adaptations for it. I also read different lakes have different coloration, and that once now extirpated population had a different breeding style.

So yes, all the oquassa strain trout are both all the same and each population is different, at the same time.

#36 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:16 AM

This article shows me why the Sunapee Trout was called the golden trout. It is very very yellow in spawning color.  (I looked for similar pics or arctic char breeding color and it seems HIGHLY variable, most get a red or yellow belly, others have more on the face, but the one in Maine in this article is the most yellow I seen,

http://www.orvis.com...trout-of-maine/

#37 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:18 AM

CONTEST DEADLINE: It was agreed on February 1st. 

Edited by FirstChAoS, 17 January 2016 - 12:19 AM.

#38 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:22 AM

Ok We (myself, my wife Julie, and my cousin Andrew Kennedy) have been working together on a shirt design. We wanted to break away from the mold as far as past NANFA convention shirts so I hope you all like it and vote for it!

I was just the idea guy, Julie did the art work, and Andrew took over and turned her scanned in artwork into a nice layout...

Front...

Nanfa-16-shirt-front.jpg

Back...

Nanfa-16-shirt-back.jpg

On the right sleeve...

Nanfa-16-shirt-sleeve.jpg

We were thinking of something in between the last years and all the others as far as the material of the shirt. Cotton like we have had most years seems too heavy and stays wet but maybe not quite the really thin dry fit material like last year. How about some sort of blended material somewhere in the middle... We also (mainly Julie) would like to see this on a hooded sweat shirt too and are glad to help with figuring out where and how to get them made.

Let us know if you like it!

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#39 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:54 AM

I like it!  It covers all the species of NH and I like the idea of a Black Shirt too, something different than all the previous neutral colors.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#40 NateTessler13

NateTessler13
  • NANFA Member
  • Nortwestern Ohio (Bowling Green)

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:06 PM

I like Brian's design too!

Nate Tessler
Environmental Scientist

Link to my NANFA Gallery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users