Photo

2016 Convention T shirt contest

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

I really like it, too!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#42 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:34 PM

Interesting design. It's very cool AND definitely something different.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
FishGuyJosh

#43 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:39 AM

Great design. The sunfish on a hoodie is a good idea.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#44 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

Maybe the hoodie would be just a NANFA in general thing not a convention specific one.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#45 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:34 AM

Ok We (myself, my wife Julie, and my cousin Andrew Kennedy) have been working together on a shirt design. We wanted to break away from the mold as far as past NANFA convention shirts so I hope you all like it and vote for it!

Front...

Back...

On the right sleeve...

We were thinking of something in between the last years and all the others as far as the material of the shirt. Cotton like we have had most years seems too heavy and stays wet but maybe not quite the really thin dry fit material like last year. How about some sort of blended material somewhere in the middle... We also (mainly Julie) would like to see this on a hooded sweat shirt too and are glad to help with figuring out where and how to get them made.

Let us know if you like it!

I do like it.  My concerns would be around production.  Have you already consulted with a maker?  Black is not always easy to work on, you are printing three designs in three locations, and the material might make a big difference.  Dennis from Vermont printed the OK Shirts an he may have some say about what is possible and what it might end up costing.

I dont mean to rain on the parade here, cause I like this design.  I just want to make sure it is possible to do before I totally jump in.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#46 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:47 PM

Here's my entry, but I have no idea if this would be feasible, cost wise.  Might switch fish photos with some from NANFA guests if permission is received. And need permission on NANFA members for others.

t%20shrtnanfa.png

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#47 gobucksjb

gobucksjb
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:16 AM

I dig it Brian!  I also like the idea of beginning to make NANFA Convention shirts in hoodies.  Personally I wear a lot of hoodies and know that I would purchase one if it ever became available

#48 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:53 AM

I've called and left a call back number for Dennis of East Coast Printers to see if he could check out this thread and give us some idea of costs for the various designs, fabrics and t's or hoodies.  I would love a hoodie myself but would collect more in a t shirt , doing both may be cost prohibitive.  What do you all think about the designs, fabric and T's vs/with Hoodies?

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#49 natureman187

natureman187
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:32 PM

Black is hottttt for us that wear these as field shirts on a more than regular basis. I would not wear this in the field past the convention.

I do enjoy what Brian n' company put together.

Although, I am partial to lilyea's design. It is classic NANFA.

Sangamon River Valley

#50 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:44 PM

Anymore entries?

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#51 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:30 AM

I am partial to Brian, Julie, and Andrew's design, with all others so closely in the race that it is hard to decide. I think I like the Z-Crew design the best, mostly because it is very different. Though likely my second choice might be for the most traditional, which is surely the shirt designed by Lilyea.

I am into breaking the mold now and then, I have several convention shirts that are similar, and one that is way different from NC. I am not sure I love the bright  white, but I love the material.

Lance mentioned a concern about black being hot. I really get that, but I have 30 white t shirts in my closet for work. Cheapest I can get. Wear junk, or whatever you have around while collecting, maybe? Otherwise we will all be carrying hand bags with Chihuahua's or Persian cats in them. NO! That is even too weird for us.

My personal thought is that the shirt design is the most important. Next for me would be material, and overall color last. Might be very different for others.

Take a quick poll on the forum. Of course it won't catch everyone, but it will give you a sample of the material and background preference.

Or skip shirts this year and sell hoodies. I would like any of the designs on a hoodie. Still think my peeps have the slickest design! Whats up Ohio?! Represent!

You guys have say. Do what you like best. T shirts are a tradition, a great one in my opinion. The only thing I can really offer is that shirt sales have been down. I need a hoodie. I might give that a shot. Hoodies exclusively would probably be more cost effective than shirts and hoodies together. Though I may not understand the shirt business very well. However I would bet nearly every attendee would buy a hoodie, since it is new.

Get Casper's opinion. he knows the business and more importantly he knows NANFA.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#52 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

So, in summary, I have no additional entry myself, just a bunch of jibber jabber, thanks for listening!. Good job guys. You have several to choose from.

#53 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

I personally still think maybe the t-shirt for this event but maybe we can remove some of the design aspects that are convention specific and create a NANFA hoodie in general that would be something that could be sold over time rather than just the year of the convention. This may help us offer something new to a wider crowd than just convention attendees. As far as the convention specific shirt the inspiration for the design was a shirt I really liked from our annual open house at work (OSU Museum of Biodiversity) and it is not a solid black shirt it is black and sort of speckled with some gray and the material feels really nice when wearing it. I'll check it out what exactly it is made out of and maybe where we got it from and try to take a photo of the shirt itself too.

My thought of having a dark color was so if we are wearing this in the field when someone approaches us to ask what the heck we are doing we don't look like crap in a stained up white t-shirt and the shirt can still be worn elsewhere to show support because it hasn't turned brown from being in the field. Anyways just wanted to add my thoughts behind our drastic change in design and what some of the reasons were. If you want to go more traditional I may still buy one but I do have a lot of those in my closet.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#54 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:44 PM

Take a quick poll on the forum. Of course it won't catch everyone, but it will give you a sample of the material and background preference.

Great idea Matt, a forum Poll do one for shirt vs hoodie and one for favorite design. Polling for design would sure beat a email vote. 

I haven't said much on the shirt designs because I do not want to imply any bias until a winner is chosen.

#55 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:25 PM

Talking with NANFA member and owner of East Coast printers, Dennis, the material used in the OK shirts could also be used in a sports style hoodie like runners use which I think might be nice.   

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#56 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:44 PM

this is not an official entry, I made it past the deadline. But here, witness my horrible drawing ability, 

sunny+drawing.jpg

#57 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:30 PM

The winner is the Brian, Julie and Andrew entry in the form of the OK t shirt fabric.  Pricing and order info coming soon. 

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#58 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:13 AM

Now we have a winner I can post my views.

Brian, Julie, and Andrew. Far and away my favorite. The neon on black is a neat twist. And I liked the unintentional humor in the shape of the fishes faces. The slight grin on the pickerel and worried look on the trout and fallfish. Going for a chain pickerel was an interesting choice too. It's wonderful design will bring a grin to even a brook trouts face, and I am pretty sure that is anatomically impossible. This is the one who got my vote.

lilyea's shirt was my second favorite. A more classic design with the state and state fish. A solid piece of art.

Mike Lucas, I wish I could enlarge your shirt, being unable to get a good look at it means I could have no opinion on it one way or the other.

Mike Wolf: No one in Portsmouth would expect a giant freshwater minnow attacking from the ocean. :)

#59 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:46 PM

I want a T Shirt for sure. Could we take the same design, take the convention parts off and offer a timeless hoodie that I could commit petty crimes in?.Ok, obvious joke, but other than petty hoodie crimes, I am serious.

It works as a convention shirt, and with the omission of some wording it becomes a classic hoodie that we can print and sell until we get something else new and more interesting at a given time.

I imagine you could count on 4- 6 combined from my house.

#60 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:52 PM

Mike Wolf: No one in Portsmouth would expect a giant freshwater minnow attacking from the ocean. :)

Have you not seen Sharknado? It really does not matter which one. After paying enough to produce, what? four of these? I think we need to sell someone on the fallfish that ate Portsmouth. If the market wants 4 Sharknado's it certainly wants a fallfish horror movie.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users