Help with this sunfish.

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:16 PM

Sorry haven't posted in awhile, had a weekend vacation.
The lake is loaded with sunfish and crappie, and has been that way for a long time. I don't know of any recent stocking of any kind of fish. We have caught many pure greens, bluegills and recently some longears and I am sure there are more species in there. I will post some pics in the photo section later of my other fish. If you would like some different shots or angles of the my hybrid let me know and I will try to get some taken.

Thanks Wolfie

#22 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:48 AM

Also F1 hybrids can vary depending on the sex of the parents. A male green x bluegill female could produce offspring that look quite different than a male bluegill x green female.

Yes, I learned this when breeding tiger trout in a hatchery. That's the problem with hybirds, so much variation.

I except that this fish is a bluegill and green hybrid but I do see a margin, not like that of the longear but more like a green's margin. It's difficult to spot, it's a pale orangish color margin like you would see on a normal green. If I had any kind of computer skils I would enlarge it and point it out.

#23 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:31 AM

Here is another hybrid that I caught out of the same lake.

Attached Files

#24 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:39 AM

Okay, I don't think this is a hybrid. I think this is just a regional variant of a green. The large mouth, facial marking, fin edging, elongate body and faint red opercular spot lead me in this direction.

#25 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:44 AM

I love this place!

I was thinking exactly what dsmith73 said while looking at the photo.

This fish (for the reasons listed above) tends to make me think this is also a green sunfish and nothing more.
This fish only lacks the spots on the anal and soft dorsal to make give it all the key features of a green sunfish.

#26 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:51 AM

Could it be possible that it is a product of F2 hybridization? Did you catch this in the same lake?

#27 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:37 AM

Could it be possible that it is a product of F2 hybridization? Did you catch this in the same lake?

The spots on the anal and dorsal fins are nice to have, but are not necessary, especially when nearly all other factors are present. I really think this is simply a green, maybe just a different "sport" or variant.

#28 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

The spots on the anal and dorsal fins are nice to have, but are not necessary, especially when nearly all other factors are present. I really think this is simply a green, maybe just a different "sport" or variant.

It may not even be a varient but lacking color traits just due to the angle of the photo (or the color rendition). It looks to me like a rather normal L. cyanellus also. I can't see anything else in it.

One thing I've learned: when you ID a fish from photos on the internet it is often a good idea to discard color and look for other identifying traits first.

#29 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:08 PM

One thing I've learned: when you ID a fish from photos on the internet it is often a good idea to discard color and look for other identifying traits first.

I think this is a good all around practice (internet or not). In some cases color can be very important (breeding darters) but in most cases I feel traits other than color can help make the most solid ID.

The spots on the anal and dorsal fins are nice to have, but are not necessary, especially when nearly all other factors are present.

I could not agree more. It's not always easy to get all of the key traits in one fish.

#30 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:42 PM

Yes it came out of the same lake.

The colors he had were just what the pictures shows. He was orange with silver streaks in his face. He also has the red in his eyes that you can see in the pic. Not trying to argue with what you guys are saying just giving information to yea.

#31 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:40 PM

I know this fish. I have caught one identical to it, directly below the outflow of the Pike county, Ohio fish hatchery. I believe it to be a hybrid. I am sure that the Pike county hatchery handles the stocking of Logan county waters. I will give them a call sometime and find out exactly what hybrid they are using.

#32 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:43 PM

A pumpkinseed X Green???????

This is really reaching out there but is that really a possibility?
(Damn I hate the state of Centrarchids these days...I have no idea what I'm looking at anymore)

#33 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:18 AM

I know this fish. I have caught one identical to it, directly below the outflow of the Pike county, Ohio fish hatchery. I believe it to be a hybrid. I am sure that the Pike county hatchery handles the stocking of Logan county waters. I will give them a call sometime and find out exactly what hybrid they are using.

Lake Logan is in Hocking county. Logan is the name of the Town. Hocking College in Athens sells fish but I don't know if they stock this lake.

#34 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:55 AM

That second fish pictured is most likely a warmouth crossed with a green sunfish. Depending on the sex of each parent specie, this crossing makes different looking young. One mix is similar to the pumpkinseed greensunfish hybrid.

#35 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:38 AM

do bluegill/green sf hybrids not have the black spot in the back fins? could it be a redear/bluegill hybrid? not sure

#36 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:15 PM

That second fish pictured is most likely a warmouth crossed with a green sunfish. Depending on the sex of each parent specie, this crossing makes different looking young. One mix is similar to the pumpkinseed greensunfish hybrid.

At first I thought it was a warmouth manly from his red eyes, but I am still new to Identifing fish.

#37 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:56 PM

Bluegill Greensunfish hybrids have a lot of variation. I have seen a few with the spots showing up.
Both Bluegills and Green sunfish don't always have those spots in the soft dorsal and anal fin apparent. It seems most big adults have such dark coloration in the fins, it either blocks the spot out, or they just loose them then. The fish in this particular picture look to be mature.

#38 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:31 PM

hat second fish pictured is most likely a warmouth crossed with a green sunfish. Depending on the sex of each parent specie, this crossing makes different looking young. One mix is similar to the pumpkinseed greensunfish hybrid.

It looks like pure green to me. I'm with the others on this one.

#39 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:48 AM

If this works, here is a picture of a warmouth green hybrid.

I am nearly 100% positive that the fish in that picture is the same as this.

Attached Files

#40 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:17 AM

You guys and your hybrids :roll: I'm convinced that they are not as common as one would think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users