Photo

75 Gallon Native Stream Tank Build

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#141 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

Nice! Glad to see ya rollin' ahead with this again.I still can't believe the layering you got with the "rocks"!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#142 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:14 PM

Thanks Matt.  Yeah, it feels good to get it going again.  

Kevin Wilson

#143 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted Today, 01:30 PM

I have a question for you guys...  I'm going to post a pic here of the middle section again so you don't have to go back and look.  This has the first layer of Drylok gray color painted on.  My next steps are to add various colors so that it looks more realistic and matches our local riverside cliffs.  My question is about shading... I see in other faux foam wall builds, be it for aquaria or model train scapes, that the DIYers paint their colors and highlights first, then go back and paint shading by using dark, watered down paint in a spray bottle and let the dark stuff run into the cracks and crevices and run off the surface.  It seems effective.  But, I was looking at this picture and wondered if I need to do that.  It appears to me that my cracks and crevices seem pretty distinct, and am wondering if I need to do a step like that to begin with.  What do you think?

wall%20drylok%203_zpsxhlwntel.jpg

Kevin Wilson

#144 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Moorhead,MN

Posted Today, 05:20 PM

The cracks and all the crevices look great! I like the natural shadow the foam sections make also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users