That's what I said about doing a water change yesterday. It'll wait till tomorrow. Just finished it 5 mins ago and it needed it. Nitrates were a bit higher than I like.
75 Gallon Native Stream Tank Build
Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:55 AM
Hey everyone. I made more progress yesterday. First, I glued all of the PVC joints. I tweaked a little bit by bending some more of the existing pipe, then bent and added another pipe. After that, I zip tied it and a couple different thicknesses of rope to help break up the straight edges and give the main roots more bulk. Next, I'll use a hot glue gun to affix the rope a little more in strategic places, maybe add some more, to create more knots and ridges and stuff, and add more detail. I may add some smaller "twigs" as well in strategic places. Once I'm done with that detail, it will be time to foam, to get rid of straight edges and evidence of pipe fittings, and to consolidate the pipe and rope into the overall shape of each root. I'll have to do some carving and sanding after that to finalize the shape. Once that's done, I'll coat it with grout to give the entire structure rigidity, weight, form, and bulk, and hopefully the overall smooth texture characteristic of sycamore roots. The final step will be to paint the structure with Drylok mixed with cement dye to seal everything in and give it a final touch of realism.
The issue that I'm struggling with now, although I'm not near that step, is what color to paint the roots. Should I paint them to look like the roots would look like if not yet submerged? Or, should I paint them to look like they've been underwater a long time. What do you think? I'm leaning toward the latter. Eventually, stuff like algae will build up on them, but I don't think it would look like they do in the wild for years, and I want that realism right away.
Pics of my progress:
I also glued my DIY spray bar for my canister filter together. This will channel water over the top of the roots, while a large powerhead, hidden within the roots, will push water through the roots and the tank and provide most of the flow. I figured that this current arrangement would best mimic current through a natural undercut root against a cliff. I had to trim the root structure and inch or so to get it to fit correctly. Here is what it will look like from above the tank:
The root structure as it looks like today:
Full tank shot:
Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:08 AM
Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:12 AM
Thank you Chris! Progress is slow, but steady now.
Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:31 PM
You have SOOOO much more patience and sticktoitness than I do. I bought a kit to motorize my mountain bike back in the summer of 16'. A 6 hour job at most. There's still 3 hours of work left and I haven't touched it since that day in 16'.
Your tank will be beautiful when done!
Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:40 AM
I hear ya Chris. I'm a huge procrastinator and tend to overthink barriers. Once I get down and dirty with the work, I tend to overcome those barriers. But, I'm slowly but surely making progress.
Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:21 PM
That will be an incredible tank once finished! Of course we'll expect photos!
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users