Photo

Darter Heaven, Fletcher, NC Day Trip

43 replies to this topic

#41 Gambusia

Gambusia
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:22 PM

Mottleds are the only sculpin species in that area.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing

Edited by Gambusia, 14 January 2017 - 08:23 PM.

#42 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:12 PM

Mottleds are the only sculpin species in that area.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing

On no problem, glad you guys are checkin the pics out. Darn it on the Sculpin, I already have Mottled's.

#43 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:41 PM

Getting familiar with variation across a species range is mighty valuable too ... no need for disappointment.   I'm amazed how different the white shiners in the Roanoke look compared with the deep-bodied ones in the Neuse and Cape Fear ones that i see more often.  The Roanoke ones look almost like eastern silvery minnows, except for the obvious large mouth and tall scales. (referring to your Dan River post yesterday).

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#44 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

Getting familiar with variation across a species range is mighty valuable too ... no need for disappointment.   I'm amazed how different the white shiners in the Roanoke look compared with the deep-bodied ones in the Neuse and Cape Fear ones that i see more often.  The Roanoke ones look almost like eastern silvery minnows, except for the obvious large mouth and tall scales. (referring to your Dan River post yesterday).

That's what I thought they were, Eastern Silvery Minnows, I managed to get one adult one in a deep pool in the Dan.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users