Photo

Brackish 20 Long Chesapeake Bay Aquarium

224 replies to this topic

#221 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:29 PM

Thanks guys, good ideas.  Much appreciated!  Being a fisherman, I have plenty of fishing line and many weights that I could use!

Kevin Wilson

#222 brackishdude

brackishdude
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:37 PM

Hey Chazz ( :biggrin: ), I have 14 hermit crabs in my 180gal brackish native tank (~1.005) that have grown quickly over the last yr, from nickle sized shells to 3-4 inch shells.  Thinks are getting a bit crowded!

I would love to trade some brackish hermits, or any of the other fish in my south LA brackish tank, for some of your blenny and or naked goby fry if they make it to young adulthood. 

We native-brackish keepers need to stick together, aint many of us. . .

Keep the threads coming.  Yours are my favorite, near to my heart.

Andy

#223 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:44 PM

Thanks Andy.  I'm sure we can work something out!

I caught the skilletfish in the act of spawning yesterday.  Both the male and female were in the shell together for about an hour and a half past the time that I first saw them.  There were eggs on one shell half, so I'm not sure how long it took them to lay them.  Anyway, despite their objection over the lack of privacy, I shot a video.  A striped blenny was curious of the activity as well, looking for a cheap thrill, no doubt.  Enjoy!

Kevin Wilson

#224 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:13 AM

Last night, I removed the aluminum hanging strips from my new breeder cage.  Then, I rigged the cage so that it would hang in my tank.  I'm not happy with how it is working, so this weekend, I plan on designing a permanent solution.  But, it is working as it should.  I transferred as many fish fry that I could into the cage, and already, they've lived longer than any fry that I've kept so far.  Now, my problem is that I don't have any live food sources other than what lives in the tank.  Since barnacles and tunicates survive in my tank, then perhaps there is food for the fish too.  I do have some frozen artemia nauplii that I fed them this morning.  I read a blog about raising a similar species of clingfish (assuming these fry are skilletfish), and after four days, they were eating live artemia nauplii.  I have a kit to hatch and start a culture, but I have yet to do so.  I will start that up tonight.  

I suspect that my filters and predation were the main causes of their previous disappearances.  

So, that leaves me with two questions that the future will answer.  First, can I raise these fish?  Second, what species are they? 

Eventually, I want to set up a tank to raise the fish fry.  If I'm successful, I should have plenty to stock my larger tank, and also enough to give to my friends.  I don't know what I'll do with them after that.  Don't worry Andy, I didn't forget you ;)

Kevin Wilson

#225 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Moorhead,MN

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:02 AM

I need more!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users