Photo

Brackish 20 Long Chesapeake Bay Aquarium

146 replies to this topic

#141 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:11 PM

This barnacle in my Chesapeake Bay biotope aquarium is trying to breed.  Normally, their probing male reproductive organ will find a suitable mate and the process is complete.  However, in this video, you can see milt released into the water column.  An interesting note, barnacles, in proportion to body size, have the largest male reproductive organ in the animal kingdom!

Kevin Wilson

#142 dsuperman

dsuperman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:14 PM

Very nice updates,thanks. 

"Once you go barnacle ......."

#143 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

Thank you dsuperman!

"Once you go barnacle ......."

This cracked me up!

Here's a video update where the fish are a bit more active (shot last week).

Kevin Wilson

#144 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:46 AM

Was at the Virginia Living Museum in Newport News, VA and took these photos of an artificial oyster reef tank they have.  It is 250 gallons.  Although there are none of the little fish that you are currently enjoying--Skillet, Goby, Blenny--they have some larger species in there that seek refuge around the reefs as juveniles.  They do have another exhibit called, "Piling" that has all those mentioned above, plus more.  I should have gotten you some pictures of it as well.  The VLM does some conservation work in the Chesapeake Bay with transplanting S.A.V.'s and oyster work.  The first picture is a 'before' and the second picture is what a growing or established reef would look like after a few years.  Both pictures come from the same tank.  Note: no living oysters in the system.

Attached File  IMG_4699.jpg   139.51KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_4698.jpg   118.45KB   0 downloads

Nick L.

#145 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

They do have another exhibit called, "Piling" that has all those mentioned above, plus more.  

Thank you Nick.  Very cool stuff.  The VLM has a nice blog where they've posted about this exhibit along with some cool videos, including blennies.  I need to do another tank video, but my front glass is covered with algae and tons of pods, so I need to do some cleaning first :)

Kevin Wilson

#146 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

This barnacle in my Chesapeake Bay biotope aquarium is trying to breed.  Normally, their probing male reproductive organ will find a suitable mate and the process is complete.  However, in this video, you can see milt released into the water column.  An interesting note, barnacles, in proportion to body size, have the largest male reproductive organ in the animal kingdom!

You sir, are not right. Just what kind of environment are you providing for those creatures?! :P Apparently a very good one. Keep it up!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#147 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:10 AM

It must be the mood lights  :D/

Thank you Matt!

Kevin Wilson

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic