First Post and Mosquitofish

30 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_cherubfish_*

Guest_cherubfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:41 PM

She's got an oscar? Doesn't that qualify for getting instantly kicked off the forum [-X

ROTF!!!!

#22 Guest_cherubfish_*

Guest_cherubfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:45 PM

Ive caught a few mollies around here in South Mississippi before, in the past. The ones I caught were in a ditch behind a friend's house. We always caught the coolest things there, even darters!! Oh! what I would give to just beable to go back there for just one day! :cry:

#23 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:49 PM

She's got an oscar? Doesn't that qualify for getting instantly kicked off the forum [-X

I have two oscars, and a Midas, convicts, corydoras and probably worst of all goldfish among other non-natives. :P

#24 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:36 AM

same I have convicts danios,corys,african killies,hatchet fish and a headstander

#25 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:02 PM

ROTF!!!!

Only if she was feeding natives to it.

Bill F.

#26 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:02 PM

ROTF!!!!

Only if she was feeding natives to it.

Bill F.

Fatheads in rosy red form perhaps? Mine have eaten fatheads and spot tail shiners.

#27 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:38 AM

As a child I lived right across the street from a drainage ditch. My Mother was always frustrated when I came home with muddy clothes and fuss at me for going there. But that ditch contained many sailfin mollies. I was always frustrated because growing up money was short in my family and I was always trying to catch them with a small aquarium net. Man those things can move !!! I was never very succesful. I am planning on visiting home in a couple of weeks and hope to bring some natives home. My problem is I do not know which ones I want to bring. I first thought I was going to go after the dollar sunfish. But then I thought a forty gallon tank full of sailfins would be great. I have never been able to keep them alive. Of course when I tried I was very inexperienced. Now does one tablespoon of salt per gallon and some crushed coral or some sort of gravel that causes the water to be hard do the trick. Any info on keeping sailfins alive and eating would be nice. What do you feed them? Water conditioning etc etc. Please feel free to e-mail me
@ bendandonethat@yahoo.com I would appreciate all the info on sailfins I could get. These bring back warm childhood memories for me seeing flash their sails and tail in the ditch was awesome and I will always cherish those memories. Would love to keep and even try to breed them. Thank you very much. Nativecajun alias Daniel Home now is near Chattanooga TN home as a child and where I will be going in a couple of weeks is Lafayetta LA.

#28 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:50 PM

I kept a 30 gallon of sailfins once. Very easy to do. Salt is probably a definite necessity, and they will survive even beyond seawater concentration. I kept mine mildly brackish (can't remember the ppt at the moment), and they did very well. At one point added some used crushed coral that I got for free as a substrate, but I don't think it was necessary. I did put a few seashells in the tank. Calcium pills and epsom salts can also be used to raise hardness. As for how much to add, I can't recall at the moment. I'm sure it is on the web somwhere. I use them to reconstitute DI water if I have to (as well as artificial table salt for some potassium)

#29 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:40 PM

Posted Image
These are the male fish I was talking about! They are mollys! Thats really strange. Can they interbreed with the gambusia?

The museum I work at actually has a whole room filled with hybrids. There are a few Gambusia sp. x Poecilia reticulata in the collection, but I've never seen a Gambusia x Poecilia latipinna. But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen....

#30 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:50 PM

Gambusia sp. x Poecilia reticulata

A little secret hystrix.....Question those particular fish........I've seen them also.
I really do not want to say much more as the people that ID'ed them as such are basicly my heros and mentors in life. There are some rather odd hybrid concoctions on those shelfs though that one really has to question.

#31 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:29 AM

As these two Genus are found together throughout much of their range in NA and CA, it is really hard for me to believe that there is much, if any at all, hybridization. They actually don't even look all that much alike for most species. The Micropoecilia, which I believe the guppy is now a member of, do resemble the Gambusia so if it were to happen, this is where I would suspect it. Mollies and Gambusia really look quite different.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users