What Do You Think Of My New Bluegill?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:16 AM

Brian, do you have a collection of large pumpkinseed pictures?

I now understand why ID'ng from pictures sucks. The lighting effects and angles may make it look like something it is not.

#22 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:02 AM

Brian, do you have a collection of large pumpkinseed pictures?

I now understand why ID'ng from pictures sucks. The lighting effects and angles may make it look like something it is not.

I just recenlty found this site, I'm sure that's its nothing new, but the pumpkinseedXbluegill photos look very much like the subject of this post

http://www.wiscfish....hid/frames.aspx

http://www.wiscfish....g...9&selText=0

#23 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:10 AM

I have these 5 pictures of adult male pumpkinseeds...
Attached File  Pumpkinseed1_mouth_Maumee_River_4_1_06_by_BZ.jpg   38.41KB   0 downloads
Attached File  Male_Pumpkinseed_Sunfish_from_North_Reservoir_of_the_Portage_Lakes_OH_May_2007_by_JZ.jpg   56.02KB   0 downloads
Attached File  Male_Pumpkinseed_from_the_Pickerel_River_ON_06_12_07_by_BZ.jpg   43.33KB   0 downloads
Attached File  male_pumpkinseed1_north_reservoir_portage_lakes_may_06_by_JZ.jpg   32.8KB   0 downloads
Attached File  adult_pumpkinseed1_mouth_Maumee_River_4_17_06_by_BZ.jpg   43.01KB   0 downloads

These were taken from a variety of locations and under various types of lighting so hopefully this helps a bit.

#24 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

That nice range of p-seed photos argues strongly against p-seed for the original fish in question. Hybrid is certainly a creative answer, I don't think it's the right answer. But, your mileage may vary, of course.

#25 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

Unfortunately I need a better picture of a male bluegill in full color but this one does show the rusty red that I am refering too...
Attached File  Breeding_male_bluegill_wynn_lake_GA_by_BZ.jpg   64.54KB   0 downloads

#26 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:28 AM

That nice range of p-seed photos argues strongly against p-seed for the original fish in question.

I'm sorry but I'll have to strongly disagree and say how can you not see pumpkinseed in the fish in question? Particularly when looking at the gill cover, the wavy blue lines look much more like a pumpkinseeds than those of a longear, green, or redbreast. All three of those have those markings but pumpkinseeds have thicker lines if you will than a redbreast or longear and the mouth of this fish is way to small for it to be partly green sunfish. redbreasts as well have a larger mouth than pumpkinseeds or bluegill and the mouth of this fish is rather small. I still say as well that the Body shape is more bluegill than anything.

Also as a side note don't take this personal just a professional disagreement all in fun...

#27 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:55 AM

WHATEVER it is, it is an absolutely LOVELY fish! Nice catch, JDS!

(and don't worry about all the bickering. It happens every time sunfish pictures come up...)

#28 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:53 PM

I can sense the disagreement in the thread but by golly if this is the apex arguments here, then I think we're getting along just fine.

Public forums are the perfect place to audit such a fish and bounce ideas off friends. As much as we disagree I can personally tell you that I learn not only more about fish identification but I also about valued members here. Threads of this nature can inspire interesting discussion of fish characteristics that may not usually be discussed.

I :wub: the members here.

#29 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:03 PM

The whole thing is, of course, silly without seeing the fish or other views. But I'm hangin' tight with redbreast, with the relatively disc-like shape and a different mouth from p-seeds. We found some alpha males from Coon Creek, AL, that looked like this guy but I didn't have a chance to take pictures; if you saw the creek substrate you'd understand why I didn't take my camera up the creek. Anyway...

#30 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, its a HYBRID all right. Its the product of a male pumpkinseed and a female pumpkinseed. You guys and your "hybrids, its gotta be a hybrid"!

#31 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:10 PM

I am not sure that we can completely rule out channel darter here. :-D

#32 Guest_JDS_*

Guest_JDS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:47 PM

terribly sorry about the delay in posting.I had to download software so I could post here.

this fish was caught in Eastern New York a little south of Albany.I feel it is definitely a hybrid of a bluegill x redbreast cross. my reasoning for this is because I also caught normal looking bluegill and pumpkinseeds in the same place.I didn't catch any redbreast in this spot,but there are redbreast in this lake. I used to think it was a longear bluegill cross.I don't feel that any more simply because I've only ever seen one longear in this lake and it was dead. I did catch more of this type of fish with varying degrees of color.some of them had extremely long ear flaps almost twice the size of this fish.that's why I think it's a bluegill redbreast cross.

#33 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

I :wub: the members here.

I second that!

(well except maybe Irate) J/K

#34 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

terribly sorry about the delay in posting.I had to download software so I could post here.
this fish was caught in Eastern New York a little south of Albany.I feel it is definitely a hybrid of a bluegill x redbreast cross. my reasoning for this is because I also caught normal looking bluegill and pumpkinseeds in the same place.I didn't catch any redbreast in this spot,but there are redbreast in this lake. I used to think it was a longear bluegill cross.I don't feel that any more simply because I've only ever seen one longear in this lake and it was dead. I did catch more of this type of fish with varying degrees of color.some of them had extremely long ear flaps almost twice the size of this fish.that's why I think it's a bluegill redbreast cross.

Can you describe the water body? Was it a rocky area or a weed choked inlet etc. Do you have photos of the other sunfish caught in the lake?

#35 Guest_JDS_*

Guest_JDS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:25 PM

the fish were caught in a weed choked part of the lake.
I don't have pictures of the other fish I caught. But I do have what I believe is a female of this type of fish that I'm trying to get a good pic of so please bear with me.

#36 Guest_JDS_*

Guest_JDS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:56 PM

hear are some pics of what I believe is a femaleof the fish in question.Posted Image
Shot with DSC-S60 at 2007-08-23Posted Image
Shot with DSC-S60 at 2007-08-23

#37 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:06 PM

I'm 100% certain that is not a Shortnosed or Spotted gar..That said I'll leave this to the Centrarchid people..
Interesting fish regardless...

#38 Guest_JDS_*

Guest_JDS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:20 PM

for those people that say it's a pumpkinseed how do you explain catching normal looking pumpkinseeds that don't look nothing like this fish in size and color.

#39 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:26 PM

for those people that say it's a pumpkinseed how do you explain catching normal looking pumpkinseeds that don't look nothing like this fish in size and color.

Natural variation and age...

#40 Guest_JDS_*

Guest_JDS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:36 PM

Natural variation and age...

I agree that there might be slight variations as the fish grows. but the pumpkinseeds in this lake look like third pic of the pumpkinseeds pictures smbass posted.and there's no way there is that much variation in color. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users