What Do You Think Of My New Bluegill?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:01 PM

I agree that there might be slight variations as the fish grows. but the pumpkinseeds in this lake look like third pic of the pumpkinseeds pictures smbass posted.and there's no way there is that much variation in color. :-)

Of how many sampled and at what time of year for all of them have you caught to confirm this uniformity in coloration???

Are you sure you are just not seeing or recognizing the ones that are not very stereotypical in appearance?? These fish are vary variable depending on Condition and age even in the same water system.

#42 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:06 PM

Of how many sampled and at what time of year for all of them have you caught to confirm this uniformity in coloration???

Are you sure you are just not seeing or recognizing the ones that are not very stereotypical in appearance?? These fish are vary variable depending on Condition and age even in the same water system.

Yeah, that kind of variation is the joker in this or other discussions. I still lean redbreast, but...?

#43 Guest_JDS_*

Guest_JDS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:25 PM

I usually don't fish over there this time of year.I usually catch them in the spring before spawning.that orange coloring on the flank of this fish will turn blood red.quite spectacular looking.anyway I caught these Fish on Saturday I would say I caught probably seven or eight of this type of fish with varying amounts of color.and the ear flaps seems to be a variable also.I caught about nine or ten normal colored pumpkinseed.along with a few normal colored bluegill.

I've only caught this type of fish in two lakes, which happen to be within two miles of each other.but are in no way connected to each other.the name of the lakes are crooked lake and berden lake I think that's how its spelled.

#44 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:39 PM

If that thing is a pumpkinseed it is unlike any pumpkinseed I have ever seen, both in photos and in person. I do however see how it might have pumpkinseed in it and since Brian suggested it I see it more then the longear I suggested earlier. One thing is for sure, I definantly see bluegill there. It was the first thing I saw and I'm sticking by that.

#45 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:49 AM

JDS thank you for posting more info. And Yes teleost this is a great place when we have discussions like this and to me they are great fun, I rather enjoy these miner disagreements of opinion and find them educational and enjoy trying to back up my opinions with why I see what I see.

JDS, what makes you say Bluegill x redbreast and not Bluegill x pumpkinseed if all you have caught in this location are bluegill, pumpkinseeds, and fish similar to the one in question?

#46 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:32 PM

JDS thank you for posting more info. And Yes teleost this is a great place when we have discussions like this and to me they are great fun, I rather enjoy these miner disagreements of opinion and find them educational and enjoy trying to back up my opinions with why I see what I see.

JDS, what makes you say Bluegill x redbreast and not Bluegill x pumpkinseed if all you have caught in this location are bluegill, pumpkinseeds, and fish similar to the one in question?

I have in a pond several crosses hand made Spring 2007 involving pumpkinseed as the mother. Males of pumpkinseed x bluegill are nearly a "dead-ringer" for the image starting this thread.

#47 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:43 PM

centrarchid,

Since you have quite a few different Lepomis hybrids is there any chance you have pictures of any of them. Pictures of known hybrids could be very useful to such discussions and the only one typically commercially produced is bluegill x green (at least on a widespread basis). If you do not have pictures of them I would gladly take pictures of them if you sent me 1 of each combination of hybrid you have or if you have the means and time to do so your self I think it would be greatly appreciated by many. Heck you could even have some fun with this and post the pics without an ID and see if we can guess the proper parental combination.

#48 Guest_JDS_*

Guest_JDS_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

just because when they're spawning all that orange markings turne a blood red.basically the whole stomach is blood red.but the clincher for me anyways is the size of some of the ear flaps on the ones I let go. I kid you notand anda couple of them were nearly double the size of the fish shown here.

#49 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:55 PM

centrarchid,

Since you have quite a few different Lepomis hybrids is there any chance you have pictures of any of them. Pictures of known hybrids could be very useful to such discussions and the only one typically commercially produced is bluegill x green (at least on a widespread basis). If you do not have pictures of them I would gladly take pictures of them if you sent me 1 of each combination of hybrid you have or if you have the means and time to do so your self I think it would be greatly appreciated by many. Heck you could even have some fun with this and post the pics without an ID and see if we can guess the proper parental combination.

Pictures I have to date are of the quality shown. Advertisement not intended. Top animal central longear from the St. Francis River drainage of MO is the sire of the middle fish (male bluegill x central longear) while the bottom fish (primary male northern bluegill) similar sized and aged half-sibling (to middle fish) reared in the same volume. I am not satisfied with images.

Yes, I would like to have you to photograph some known F1 allodiploid hybrids involving pumpkinseeds (PS). I like big words that actullay say more. I have both genders of each of the following:

PS x bluegill
PS x redear
PS x warmouth
PS x green
PS x central longear
PS x red spotted

I would also like to be able to use in presentations without copy right concerns. Could it be done?

If arrangement proves satisfactory to both parties I could also dig up some allotriploids for photographs. Yes I do have some other known hybrid images that would prove challenging if not imformative.

Attached Files

#50 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:17 PM

This sounds like a very doable agreement to me, I will pm you to work out details. Just for example the pictures would look something like the following 3 taken last week of a few of my fish...

Male Eastern Dollar Sunfish
Attached File  Adult_Male_Eastern_Dollar_Sunfish_by_JZ.JPG   56.91KB   0 downloads

Male Western Dollar Sunfish
Attached File  Adult_Male_Western_Dollar_Sunfish_by_JZ.JPG   50.56KB   0 downloads

Male Green Sunfish
Attached File  Adult_Male_Green_Sunfish_by_JZ.JPG   44.3KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users