Guys, It's Time To Pony Up...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
96 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:06 AM

To each their own. As someone (was it Matthew) said, sometimes it isn't about what you get out of it when you contribute to a non-profit. It comes down to believing in the mission of the non-profit. This non-profit just happens to have a few benefits like the quarterly magazine.

The purpose of this thread was to let those who use it know that it is brought to you by NANFA members and if you like the forum you should contribute.

We actually have NANFA members in England, Germany, Taiwan, Japan, Alaska, Hawaii...

#62 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:19 AM

I dont really consider Cape Girardeau to be local at 356 miles away and the $75 registration fee sounds like a group for people who actually finished college.

A $75 dollar registration fee for an annual meeting is pretty cheap. So for those that 'have finished college' and are in this field we look at paying...

North American Benthological Society (Early registration fees)
Member $300
Non-Member $450
Student Member $200
Student Non-Member $350

I had to shell out 35 bucks for a membership just to knock 150 off and then had to cancel my presentation because I was starting a new job 3 weeks earlier.

American Fisheries Society (again early fees)
AFS Member Early Bird Rate $345.00
Non-Member Early Bird Rate $450.00
Student Member $95.00
Student Non-Member $125.00

the TN AFS chapter was 40 dollars for members, which was 10 dollars.

So 75 dollars, with interesting talks, collecting trips, and good people, can really be worth it.

#63 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:58 AM

Perhaps Im just spoiled from growing up with a great state society. Registration for the KHS annual meeting is $10.

http://www.cnah.org/...eetingInfo.html

We have interesting talks, good people, and our Society sponsored collecting trips are not only free, but dont require membership either.

Also, for those who enjoy such activities, the $10 registration also covers FREE BEER at the annual auction following the saturday meetings.

Im not saying that no one should join NANFA. From what little I know of it, it seems like a great organization. If I had the dedication to native fish that I have to herps and branchiopods, I would definitely get a membership. All of my comparisons are with a herpetological organization, so you may be the good deal in the fish world, but when one of your selling points is that you dont have to pay to use the forum, I laugh inside, but then maybe that was mentioned in jest.
Have a look at a free conservation forum with no membership fees and 5500 members since September 2004. http://www.fieldherpforum.com/

I probably will join someday, and not for what I can get out of it, I will most likely never participate in an event unless it comes to Kansas(or until I win that lottery(which will never happen because I cant afford to play)). Its just not in the budget this year.

#64 Guest_RIVERRUNNER_*

Guest_RIVERRUNNER_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:47 AM

OK Irate, I'm in!
By the way, I love your screen name. If I had thought about it more, I could have been "Southern Baptist Anarchist".

I had been feeling guilty lately anyway (always asking w/out any giving). I'm sure I've gotten many of you guys' blood pressure up with my posts. If I had a good camera, I could post some great pics of my fish.

I am not the "joining type", more of a loner, but I will gladly give $20 to the cause. If I can get some help with transactions, I will even pay a kid's fee who's parent/guardian is not interested in wildlife, for whatever reason.

Expect my check.

#65 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:53 AM

We have interesting talks, good people, and our Society sponsored collecting trips are not only free, but dont require membership either.

The talks at this years' convention were highly educational and interesting. The speakers discussed their topic in depth and were allowed more than 15 minutes. Heck, I think some of he question and answer sessions went longer than 15 minutes :tongue: Oh! The speakers are allowed generous question and answer periods. You don't need to be a member to attend the convention and it's trips nor do you need to be a member to go on local trips.

Also, for those who enjoy such activities, the $10 registration also covers FREE BEER at the annual auction following the saturday meetings.

Now that is a good idea! Hey umm you know who! The membership demands free beer :biggrin: If I only lived closer I'd sign up for free beer err I mean KHS.
Only kidding here guys. I like free beer as much as the next guy but that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. I'll bet Kansas has laws to protect organizations from this type of stuff but national organizations are easy pickings.

you may be the good deal in the fish world

NANFA isn't really selling or competing so it might be hard to compare "a good deal" among other national fish organizations. If you were to compare $20.00 membership dues against other organizations that produce publications as high of quality as American Currents I doubt you'll find a single one. I honestly believe the quality of information and editing/publishing is worth twice the $20.00 membership dues. Besides, I feel as many others here do....sometimes you support NPO's for the great work they do and expect nothing in return. In this case you get cutting edge information delivered right to your door.

#66 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:03 PM

I am glad I'm a member, I've made a few friends learned more than I could have alone, plus AC is the best publication out there!! Thank you to all the volunteers, and fellow nanfa members, as soon as my son is old enough to come along collecting with me, he will be a member as well.

THANK YOU ALL
Tom

#67 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:13 PM

OK Irate, I'm in!

Outstanding!

#68 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:36 PM

I would personally like to thank all of you who have taken notice of this thread, and have joined Nanfa. The guys behind this organization, the staff, the regional reps,the membership, and the forum staff surely thank you as well. We are all excited to see our movement grow. The more that people become aware of or nations fishes, the more that they will care for our waterways.
Thanks guys!
Matt

#69 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:02 PM

Membership............................................$20
700 mile round trip gas money...............$140
4 day hotel stay......................................$320
Event Registration...................................$75

The chance to max out my $600 limit
Mastercard to hang out with a bunch
of people I probly wont see for another
10 years...................................................not worth it (to me)

I'm not wealthy by any means but join together with some others, divide the gas and hotel cost 3 or 4 ways and it gets cheaper fast then I can afford every year to see new friends and make some more. Plus I get to experience new locations and different fish. Oh and there's usually a group camping which also makes it even more affordable. The conferences are awesome. The MO was especially great collecting on the mississippi, grilling on the barge at sunset, canoe collecting the Black River and Mingo swamp, and a banquet and great fellowship $75 what a deal! And each conference is unique and awesome in its own way.

#70 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:56 PM

Thanks Mike for the convention plug. Those of us who have organized and hosted conferences appreciate (need?) the feedback. Every convention has its own pleasant quirks, and its own vibe. So come on down!

#71 Guest_seanmc_*

Guest_seanmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:56 PM

My son and I are seriously considering joining, but can't justify two memberships totalling $50 US (we are in Ontario) just to get two copies of the magazine, so will probably just sign up one of us (who ever wins the arm wrestle :wink: ).

Even if "all" we get is the magazine, the (guilt-free) help of the knowledgable people on this forum, and the good feeling of knowing we are supporting the organization, I will consider it a good deal. However, I would love to be able to get "more" from my/our membership, in being able to participate in NANFA events (collecting, convention, etc...).

Can anybody tell me how many NANFA members are from Ontario?
Are there ever any collecting outings organized in Canada/Ontario?

If we ever decided to make the trip south for a collecting trip, would it be possible for us to bring back natives across the border? I know with exotics, it is possible as long as you fill out the appropriate paperwork, have scientific names, and can show they are not on the CITES list.

I would love to hear from anybody in Ontario who HAS brought natives back from the US.

Thanks very much!

- Sean

#72 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:53 AM

Oh and there's usually a group camping which also makes it even more affordable.

Camping is a relatively new development - for a while Kay and I (and sometimes Casper) were the only ones camping, but last year there was a good bit more involvement, and hopefully this trend will continue. To me, this is now an integral part of the NANFA experience - I like to plan my collecting forays so that I can camp by the water and get more stream time in! I have assembled a daypack for just this purpose - all my (solo) camping needs in one convenient pack, ready to go at all times. Well, a guitar has to go with me too :) Amazing fact: public campgrounds are required to pay a "campfire license" fee to ASCAP/BMI to cover campers playing copyrighted material on their own istruments at the campground.

#73 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:17 PM

It sounds like a lot of fun. Perhaps some time in the future when Im better funded I will make it to one of these meetings.

#74 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:42 AM

Amazing fact: public campgrounds are required to pay a "campfire license" fee to ASCAP/BMI to cover campers playing copyrighted material on their own instruments at the campground.

](*,)

#75 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:05 AM

Amazing fact: public campgrounds are required to pay a "campfire license" fee to ASCAP/BMI to cover campers playing copyrighted material on their own istruments at the campground.

Does it cover pirated software too? I was thinking about bringing my laptop.

#76 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:54 PM

Does it cover pirated software too? I was thinking about bringing my laptop.

Haha! This is a very touchy issue amongst us livingroom musicians. Of course, we personally do not pay the fees, but the assertion of the PRO's (Performing Rights Organisations) that the fees go to compensate the composers of original copyrighted works is ludicrous.

As for pirated software - I have a great many things to say about that as well of course :-o But here I am, being an anarchist again...

What was this thread about anyway?

Oh yeah - JOIN NANFA OR YOU'RE A FREELOADING CHUMP, just like the guys who play "Stairway to Heaven" at the Guitar Center and don't pay any royalties to Zep.

#77 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:45 PM

Oh yeah - JOIN NANFA OR YOU'RE A FREELOADING CHUMP, just like the guys who play "Stairway to Heaven" at the Guitar Center and don't pay any royalties to Zep.

Irate! Gotta love you, but no, not a freeloading chump. We welcome all, and do not want this to be any kind of guilt trip. But if you enjoy the forum, and want our organization to succeed, then feel free to become a member. Otherwise, just keep adding good content. We welcome all.

#78 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:24 PM

Irate! Gotta love you, but no, not a freeloading chump. We welcome all, and do not want this to be any kind of guilt trip. But if you enjoy the forum, and want our organization to succeed, then feel free to become a member. Otherwise, just keep adding good content. We welcome all.

Now your'e gonna make me feel bad for putting those poor rock stars in the poorhouse :-(

#79 Guest_seanmc_*

Guest_seanmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:57 AM

My son and I are seriously considering joining, but can't justify two memberships totalling $50 US (we are in Ontario) just to get two copies of the magazine, so will probably just sign up one of us (who ever wins the arm wrestle :wink: ).

Even if "all" we get is the magazine, the (guilt-free) help of the knowledgable people on this forum, and the good feeling of knowing we are supporting the organization, I will consider it a good deal. However, I would love to be able to get "more" from my/our membership, in being able to participate in NANFA events (collecting, convention, etc...).

Can anybody tell me how many NANFA members are from Ontario?
Are there ever any collecting outings organized in Canada/Ontario?

If we ever decided to make the trip south for a collecting trip, would it be possible for us to bring back natives across the border? I know with exotics, it is possible as long as you fill out the appropriate paperwork, have scientific names, and can show they are not on the CITES list.

I would love to hear from anybody in Ontario who HAS brought natives back from the US.

Thanks very much!

- Sean

OK, I just signed up (me, not my son, guess who won the armwrestle!).

Is there a membership directory where I can find other Ontario/Canada members?

Also, I'm heading to relatives in Brighton, Michigan in October. Still trying to find out what is possible in terms of bringing fish back across the border.

Thanks - Sean

#80 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:22 PM

OK, I just signed up (me, not my son, guess who won the armwrestle!).

Is there a membership directory where I can find other Ontario/Canada members?

Also, I'm heading to relatives in Brighton, Michigan in October. Still trying to find out what is possible in terms of bringing fish back across the border.

Thanks - Sean

Yes, you can email Chris Scharpf (I'll Pmail you his address) and you can get a membership directory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users