Guys, It's Time To Pony Up...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
96 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:10 PM

I would love to but it would have to wait until i get a new job. Which would be around the end of this upcoming april.

#22 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

Um, he's around here somewhere. Why, do you want him!

It was my favorite avatar on the board...nothing actually even comes close. It was a signature thing, kinda like when I opened a post, I expected an "irate-ism" if I saw that cat. Funny enough, I have no idea what you look like, so I just imagined you looking something like that cat when you're sitting on your computer. Made me laugh, and I've probably said too much.

#23 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:48 AM

Oh, Sandtiger is also a member, as long as he promises me a second year on his own accord. Right Arthur? Send me your info.

None of ya'll need to worry about paying for me. I'll likely become a member eventually. It's not the money that's holding me back, I just don't know if it's really worth it for me. I am unable to make the trips and conventions and 4 issues of AC don't really seem worth it.

#24 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:23 AM

It was my favorite avatar on the board...

I'm glad you brought it back Martin. It really is a good representation... Kinda gremlinish, but still cute in his own special way :)

Todd

#25 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:14 AM

I just don't know if it's really worth it for me. I am unable to make the trips and conventions and 4 issues of AC don't really seem worth it.

One thing that everyone needs to remember is that joining an organization should not always be what you get out of it. Yes, it is nice to have a personal value for your membership. But the biggest reason that we join conservation organizations is because we want to contribute to a cause that is doing a good work in this case raising awareness about our beautiful and in need of conservation native fishes. Believe me at the cost of 20 dollars a year NANFA provides you a lot for your money.

I have belonged to many other organizations that have higher yearly membership fees, and dollar for dollar NANFA provides way more than others.

1) The newsletter is very high quality. You will not find another newsletter that has the content, layout, and printing quality that AC has.
2) I really don't know of other organizations that provide the networking that NANFA has, Maybe audubon but at a very high price,. You said that you are unable to make trips but I bet that if you planned a small, cheap weekend outing you may get other members who would be willing to go out with you in your area. Just plan in advance.
3) NANFA offers grants to its members. Yes these are small in comparisson to larger organizations but so is our membership fees and individual donations. These grants fund small projects, but these projects raise awareness. We are doing something!
4) This forum is a great free resource. I can not believe that NANFA does not charge anything to subscribe to it. My wife is a portrait photographer and she belongs to a forum for photographers and pays $100.00 per year :???: just to belong to a forum that does not offer anything else except the forum. Other photographers forums cost as much as $200.00 per year (she is not a member of this one). Some are free. Hers is a business expense we would not pay that much for if it was not. But, she has benefited greatly because of the forum and even saved in business expenses because of either the things she has learned or shared with other photographers. I personally think that if you are not a NANFA member that you should get your first month of the forum free and then pay your membership fee to be able to continue to use the forum. The experience of citizens and professionals on this forum is incredible. People share fish ID's, aquarium tips, trade, plan small trips, post job possibilities, post other grants, share conservation efforts, and I bet this is just a touch of what you get from the forum.

So if you question if you think 4 isssues of AC, maintaining this free forum, maintaining the website, being part of a conservation effort, having a wealth of experience available to you and having varous trips available to you whether you go or put one on yourself is not worth it. You are dead wrong. Much of what NANFA does is provided by volunteering efforts to keep expenses down. Would you take much of your time and volunteer to maintain the website, the forum, edit a newsletter, put together trips, etc...? The people who are vested in this organization do so because the have a love for what they do. They want to help others appreciate what we have in the streams of North America.

The question is are you willing to give a little bit of your self (give up a movie and popcorn, a couple packs of cigarettes, three six packs of beer, one night out on the town, etc...) to support something bigger than your self? I guaruntee that most of you can set aside a few small things, that will not bring you any more satisfaction than the day that you do it, and would be able to afford $20.00. Shoot, if your in highshool just get off your butt and mow a couple lawns.
When you think if you should join an organization you have to think of the bigger picture. If you think of the bigger picture and think of what NANFA offers compared to other organizations, I really don't know how you could come to any other conclusion except, join :D .

#26 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:26 AM

Very well said Matthew. I couldn't agree more.

#27 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

One thing that everyone needs to remember ...

Well said!!!

#28 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

I can't add anything to what you've outlined Matthew. Very well put.

I want to add emphasis (even though you did as well) to the fact that four issues of American Currents Is well worth the small membership dues alone even if you ignore the grant programs. AC is an incredibly high quality publication worth it's weight in gold.

#29 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

Would NANFA consider a "Junior Membership" of some sort? Say, $10 for members under 18. I love trying to answer the questions and issues from the younger set--Zephead, JohnPritzlaff, et al. I think they need all the encouragement they can get.

#30 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:33 AM

Also, I love the freaky Irate wet dog/cat/monkey thing.

#31 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

Would NANFA consider a "Junior Membership" of some sort? Say, $10 for members under 18. I love trying to answer the questions and issues from the younger set--Zephead, JohnPritzlaff, et al. I think they need all the encouragement they can get.

I suspect if some of the younger fellows want to put $10 forth for membership, they should say so here in this thread. I'll bet they will have sponsors to fill the other half. I have to agree with Matthew though....

Shoot, if your in highshool just get off your butt and mow a couple lawns.

I also understand that it's not possible for all high schoolers to cut grass for various reasons and think the giving nature of the existing membership will help them with half of their obligation.

#32 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:33 AM

I'll sponsor a student. The first one to send me a PM telling me what school he attends (any school from grade school to grad school) gets a NANFA membership, effective this coming Friday (payday for me).

Edit:
Scholarship Claimed

#33 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:29 PM

OK, summary - fishlover and zephead want to join - but don't have the dough.
Skipjack, Ed, killier, and an anonymous donor who pmailed me are willing to help. Plus there's my $5 (man do I feel like a cheapskate now).

So, the aforementioned gentlemen need to pmail me or Skipjack with your full name and address, etc., so you can get full membership benefits.

Also, somebody needs to take Ed and killier up on their offers.

In the meantime, I'll go pester other folks...

#34 Guest_seanmc_*

Guest_seanmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

Hi There!

Been lurking here for a few days now. My son has been here about a week and is actively posting as FrostBite. We live in Canada (Newmarket, ON) and are very impressed with the site, the helpfulness of the members, and the quality of information.

I think I would like to join. Two questions:

1) Does the membership include a print/mailed copy of the newsletter?

2) Is there a family rate? or do we both need memberships? (My son is 14, but we have been keeping FW aquariums together for 7 years).

Thanks very much!

- Sean

#35 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:05 PM

Hi Sean, NANFA membership includes a subscription to our quarterly magazine American Currents. Samples of back issues and articles are available at nanfa.org. I suspect you'll be favorably impressed. As to family membership, in truth we've never dealt with that. We probably should. I think the several of us who bounce around this board who are members of the NANFA Board of Directors should probably propose a change to the rest of the BOD for a family membership, say of $30. But that's to be negotiated. So, at the least we won't bug you(!).

#36 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

Sean,

Our quarterly publication is a very nice magazine/journal. Getting it was one of the main reasons that I several years ago. There is no better place to get info specific to natives. And to be honest, it is the main tangible benefit to membership (there are innumerable intangibles). And as far as family stuff... there normally is a souse/family rate at the conventions... I often bring my Dad (not a NANFA member) to the convention and always sign up at the family rate.

So I say join now at the individual rate... American Currents will come to your house and you can arm wrestle for who gets to read it first (not something I could do at my house, as my 17 year old would consistently beat me, but if your son is only 14, you might still have a chance).

Michael

2) Is there a family rate? or do we both need memberships? (My son is 14, but we have been keeping FW aquariums together for 7 years).

- Sean

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#37 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:45 AM

I plan on becoming a member in September or October.

#38 Guest_airbrn1187_*

Guest_airbrn1187_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

Thank you for reminding me...just ponied up!

#39 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:25 PM

Way cool airbrn1187.

Thanks for joining and supporting NANFA. Your membership dues not only keep the forum running but they also provide publishing of American Currents (which should receive before long) and grants for worthy native fish study/conservation etc.

As you know we live pretty close to one another and I want to welcome you to the Illinois & Indiana chapter. I want to get in the water pretty soon so I'll be sure and contact you so we can get out together.

#40 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:37 PM

Thank you for reminding me...just ponied up!

Be sure to update your profile... to indicate that you are a NANFA member! Welcome aboard!

The same goes for all you other new members. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users