Mud In Sunfish Tank?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:04 AM

"BTW brimsorbust what sunfish species is this for???"

Brooklamprey, I am going to have bluegill and longear sunfish with stargazing minnows.

Minnows= sunfish conditioning food... at least in that tank. Move the minners. You'll get better breeding results, and get to keep all your fish. That is, unless you want them to be food.

#22 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:43 PM

well a full grown stargazer qouldnt be food 4-5 inches

#23 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:01 AM

I want it to be like their natural environment becuase in the pond we get them out of there are lots of stargazing minnows.

#24 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:06 PM

I want it to be like their natural environment becuase in the pond we get them out of there are lots of stargazing minnows.

If you are in Williamsburg, they are not stargazing minnows. Also, they are not found in ponds. Can you get a picture of them?

#25 Guest_Bill_*

Guest_Bill_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:46 PM

That stuff compacts to much and does not act much like mud.

A better alternative would be a mixture of (roughly) 55% sand, 20% Horticultural peat and 30% Sticks leaves and debris. Make this substrate at least 5 to 6 inches deep. When first placed in the tank expect it to be a mess for at least a week or two, once it settles however it works great.

I'm new here an I appreciate the opportunity to read and gather more information about sunfish.

I am a bit amuzed at this post about adding mud to an aquarium for sunfish to make nest and spawn in. I am a member of a forum off of Pond Boss magazine and lots of us people that have ponds put out pea gravel and other materials in our ponds for various sunfish including bass to make nests in. The fact is they will take care of themselves without human help, but if I had an aquarium I would just go ahead with aquarium sand or some pea gravel and form a bowl nest for them and see if they will use it. They in the wild for the most part will perfer some sand or gravel but will make a nest in hard mud if a sandy place isn't available.

#26 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:31 PM

I am not into breeding sunfish, but I have seen them spawning on pure pea gravel beds all my life. I think pea gravel would be fine.

M.

#27 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:34 PM

Let me clarify what types of sunfish I have seen spawning on gravel: bluegills, pumpkinseeds, and green sunfish.

M.

#28 Guest_Bill_*

Guest_Bill_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:13 AM

Let me clarify what types of sunfish I have seen spawning on gravel: bluegills, pumpkinseeds, and green sunfish.

M.

That makes sense Esox.... My understanding is that they prefer firm sand or gravel because silt will smother eggs. The reason a lot of people with ponds put out the gravel is because they feel that although bluegill or other sunfish will make due with the natural bottom is that the male will be able to give better circulation to the eggs that are in gravel and better keep out slit thus increasing the % of eggs hatched.

#29 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:36 AM

Its not really a pond its a small lake that is stocked with 12-15 inch bass and some nice sized bluegill. And the minnows, I did some research and I am 70 percent sure they are stargazers.

#30 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:29 AM

Its not really a pond its a small lake that is stocked with 12-15 inch bass and some nice sized bluegill. And the minnows, I did some research and I am 70 percent sure they are stargazers.

I've sampled stargazing minnows, Phenacobius uranops, in riffles found in the Clinch River. They are only found in the TN drainage in VA, unless they've been introduced elsewhere. If you get a picture, we'll be able to ID it for you.

#31 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

I will not be able to get a picture of one but they behave like what I have heard about, they just swim around the surface of the water and they have a black stripe running down the center of their body.

#32 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:57 PM

I will not be able to get a picture of one but they behave like what I have heard about, they just swim around the surface of the water and they have a black stripe running down the center of their body.

That would probably be Gambusia holbrooki, eastern mosquitofish. And maybe Fundulus lineolatus, lined topminnow. How big are they?

#33 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:18 AM

That would probably be Gambusia holbrooki, eastern mosquitofish. And maybe Fundulus lineolatus, lined topminnow. How big are they?

They are only about 1 inch and very skinny. I have kept eastern mosquito fish when I lived in california and these fish do not look anything like them.

#34 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:58 PM

What about silversides? Drew you would know better whats in the area, could that be what he is seeing in this pond?

#35 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:07 PM

Silversides aren't in his area. I named the only two native topwater species I could think of found in his area. Who knows what they stocked that lake with.

#36 Guest_RichardA_*

Guest_RichardA_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

Not stargazers......probably a Fundulus species or maybe a Notropis species.....sounds more like F. nototus or F. olivaceus, depending on your area....not real up to date on that areas river and creek systems.

#37 Guest_rodgerpidacter_*

Guest_rodgerpidacter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:37 PM

i think having mud in your aquarium would smell over time... how would you clean it???

#38 Guest_RichardA_*

Guest_RichardA_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:03 PM

There is a way to get the effect without the issues.....you can use play sand, peat, coco fiber, or a combo of them. Works well....stays pretty clean and wont get all nasty.

I like to use a nice sand mix with some oak leaves thrown in. Works well for most "murky" fish.

#39 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:14 AM

They are only about 1 inch and very skinny. I have kept eastern mosquito fish when I lived in california and these fish do not look anything like them.

Can you not get a picture? What is the mouth shape? Is it pointed, round? Also, is the mouth terminal, sub-terminal,etc.?

#40 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:38 PM

I've bred a couple of sunfish species, and I don't think it's worth going to the trouble of putting mud in the bottom of your tank. If you condition them right, and get conditions right for them, then they should breed.

You don't say what part of the country you're from. It's been said that sunnies from a more northerly location need a cooling down period before they'll breed. Putting them out in a back yard pond that won't freeze solid will probably do just that.

If that's not possible, you might try keeping them in a dark tank in a dark room for two to three months.

After the cooling period/dark period turn the temperature up to the high 70s, increase day length to 12 or more hours per day, and feed them a lot. Females need to eat a lot before they'll ripen.

If you do that, they'll spawn in gravel. Peter Rollo has had blackbanded sunfish spawn in flower pots. I put square plastic tubs half filled with gravel in the tank and let them breed in the tubs.

Good luck.

I was thinking and i thought that i would have an easier time breeding sunfish if there was mud at the bottom of the tank to make it more natural. I found some stuff at the local pet store for reptiles that is an all natural sand and it looks just like mud but i want to know if my plants would grow in that situation. i am planning on starting a mud bottomed fish tank that wil be planted and have several pieces of drift wood and rocks and it will be 75 gallons. i have had years of expierience taking care of fish and i thought it might work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users