Healing Injuries

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:06 PM

I have a 3-4" green sunfish in my 100g pond with another green and two warmouth. It has an abrasion on its mouth and has a swollen squishy area on the tip of one of its hard fin rays. What can I do to help it heal? Should I bring it inside?

#2 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:25 PM

Try bringing it inside for a while and adding some salt to his water. Bringing him inside will also allow you to observe him more closely
to make sure he recovers.

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:46 PM

Thanks. Will do. Also, how do you think he'll fare with some small (3-4") midas cichlids? The only tank I have that I could put him in has a group of those in it. I'm hoping to get rid of them soon so I can put my N. longears in there.

P.S. Your sig is so true.

#4 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:41 PM

Hmm... Just be careful. I mean with cichlids you always have the risk of aggression. Green sunfish are pretty tough though. So there is a possibility of aggression on both sides of the equation. Again just keep a close eye on them the first day or two. How do You like those midas cichlids? Never really considered keeping them before.

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:43 PM

Hmm... Just be careful. I mean with cichlids you always have the risk of aggression. Green sunfish are pretty tough though. So there is a possibility of aggression on both sides of the equation. Again just keep a close eye on them the first day or two. How do You like those midas cichlids? Never really considered keeping them before.

They're ok. They grow fast, and start looking good when they start to mature. These were sold to me as severum babies (they were .5" long). I thought they would be nice and peaceful turqoise severums, but they're still pretty cool fish. You have to feed them 24/7 though. :-D You want a couple of mine? I have 9. The biggest is 5", with the rest between 2-4".

#6 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:52 AM

No thanks right now I really don't have room for anything else! Its so frustrating because ther's so many things that I would like to try
but I just don't have enough space. It also is hard to find enough time because I devote so much of it to my reef tank. Thanks for the
offer though! Have you moved your sunfish inside yet?

#7 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

No thanks right now I really don't have room for anything else! Its so frustrating because ther's so many things that I would like to try
but I just don't have enough space. It also is hard to find enough time because I devote so much of it to my reef tank. Thanks for the
offer though! Have you moved your sunfish inside yet?

I'm about to. I'll update on how he's doing in an hour or so. Maybe I can take advantage of this and train it to pellets, so I won't have to go buy those nasty feeder fish. Will he still eat pellets after I move him back outside, or will he be too scared whenever I walk up to the pond? It's small(100g), so it would be nice to get my fish in there on pellets.

I know how you feel about not having room and wanting more stuff. I have a 55, 30, 50 and 30 gallon tubs, and a 100 gallon pond. I want to put warmouth or pickerel in the 55, and whichever one I don't put in the 55 is going in the 100 gallon pond. I'm putting my longears in the 30g tank and green sunfish in the 50 gallon tub. I'll probably use the 30 tub for a feeder breeder. I want madtoms and pirate perch also, just nowhere to put them. And then I have the urge to bring home the bullheads I catch when I go fishing, but I have nowhere for them either. :-k ](*,) Life is so stressful.

#8 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:25 PM

Well, he's in there now. I took a closer look at the spine, and it's turned out to be a pretty much bare spine with a little fungus on it. Will this heal? The mouth thing looks like he just ran into something, so I think that should heal pretty fast. It's still a little stressed out, and has the vertical bars on its side. I put a small earthworm in there so that if he decides he wants to eat, he's got a little snack. I put it in a little mesh box thing I bought at petsmart for my baby cons when they bred. I didn't want to take any chances with it getting attacked by my midas cichlids, as I only have two, which I think are a male and a female.

#9 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:29 PM

Be careful about the fungus. Sometimes i've had fish recover from fungus on their own without any medicine. Others have gotten worse so i just added some marcyn and it took care of it. That was probably a good idea to use the mesh box just to be safe. You could try to get him on pellets while hes inside but I doubt this will carry over to when he goes back into the pond. Its worth a try though!

#10 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:25 PM

Be careful about the fungus. Sometimes i've had fish recover from fungus on their own without any medicine. Others have gotten worse so i just added some marcyn and it took care of it. That was probably a good idea to use the mesh box just to be safe. You could try to get him on pellets while hes inside but I doubt this will carry over to when he goes back into the pond. Its worth a try though!

Yeah, I'll definately give it a try. I put a couple rosy reds in the box with him. He took a couple strikes then gave up. He'll get them eventually though. I'm trying to start my own rosy red colony to feed my fish with, since I can feed them healthier foods and keep them fat and as parasite free as possible. Where can I get marcyn at if I need it?

#11 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

You can get Maracyn at pretty much any lfs. There are cheaper fungal treatments out there but I like maracyn because
you can leave the carbon in your filters(Which is a pain in the butt to take out of canister filters ect.), it also has a very little amount of dye in it, and i've just had the best results with Mardel products.

#12 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:24 PM

You can get Maracyn at pretty much any lfs. There are cheaper fungal treatments out there but I like maracyn because
you can leave the carbon in your filters(Which is a pain in the butt to take out of canister filters ect.), it also has a very little amount of dye in it, and i've just had the best results with Mardel products.

Ok thanks. I'll look into it. I might just go ahead and get some to clear this stuff up quick. Will it harm my bullhead? He pretty much dominates the cichlid tank, and I would hate to lose him.

#13 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:38 PM

I've treated tanks with small bullheads many times using Maracyn with no problem. Catfish are sesitive to some
medications like malachite green but I dont think that maracyn will harm them. I'm not positive on that though. The box of it I have here doesn't say anything about not using with scaleless fish so I would assume its ok.

#14 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

By the way cool new avatar!

#15 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:05 PM

I've treated tanks with small bullheads many times using Maracyn with no problem. Catfish are sesitive to some
medications like malachite green but I dont think that maracyn will harm them. I'm not positive on that though. The box of it I have here doesn't say anything about not using with scaleless fish so I would assume its ok.

Ok. I think I'll move him to another tank though just in case.

By the way cool new avatar!

Thanks. That's my prized white catfish. I should have gotten a better, closer pic of him/her. I found it while fishing and caught 2 larger ones, both about 22" long. I can't wait to get a good sized pond for it. If you wanna see a better pic of it, check out my album in the NANFA gallery.

#16 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:13 PM

Here is a pic of my injured green. :-(

Attached Files

#17 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:18 PM

Im having a hard time seeing the fungus that You were talking about but can definatly see the injury to his mouth.

#18 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:31 PM

Look at the last ray between the hard and soft dorsal fin.

#19 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:06 AM

Ok I see it but it doesnt really look like true fungus. How does he look today?

#20 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

Ok I see it but it doesnt really look like true fungus. How does he look today?

Maybe just torn finnage that's swollen up. It hasn't really changed much, as it's only been a day. He's eaten a couple minnows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users