Healing Injuries

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

Good to hear hes eating. Um if its not too bad wait a few days to see if it takes care of itself. looks to me like injuries from fighting which usually heal on their own if he is isolated. Salt should help too. Did you add some to his water? I always add stress coat to an injured fishes water because it is supposed to help by healing the slime coating and it also has aloe vera in it.

#22 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:35 PM

Ok. Thanks. I'll add some salt and Stress Coat to his water. Or should I only add one of the two?

#23 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:51 PM

add the Stress Coat first, then about a day later try salt.
I'm not sure how well the salt will work because fungus can survive in the low ranges of brackish water. That method is normally for brackish fish since they are much better at adapting to higher salinity ranges.

#24 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:03 PM

You can add both probably at the same time. I use both. And the salt isnt to kill the fungus(if he even has fungus) it is a natural stress reducer and also speeds up recovery. It also provides electrolytes. I usually add a little bit of salt to all of my tanks just as an extra step. I would go ahead and add both salt and stress coat just give a little time in between the doses.

#25 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:15 PM

You can add both probably at the same time. I use both. And the salt isnt to kill the fungus(if he even has fungus) it is a natural stress reducer and also speeds up recovery. It also provides electrolytes. I usually add a little bit of salt to all of my tanks just as an extra step. I would go ahead and add both salt and stress coat just give a little time in between the doses.

How much on the salt? One tspn/gal?

#26 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

Ok just checking what kind of salt do you plan on using? Its best to use salt from an aquarium store that is made for stress releif in freshwater aquariums. Its really cheap like two or three bucks for a carton. Dosage is usually on the box. Mine says to use One rounded tablespoon per every five gallons.

#27 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:14 PM

Fungus cannot live in water with salt, so it does kill it.
It is used as a stress reducer too though.

#28 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

Ok just checking what kind of salt do you plan on using? Its best to use salt from an aquarium store that is made for stress releif in freshwater aquariums. Its really cheap like two or three bucks for a carton. Dosage is usually on the box. Mine says to use One rounded tablespoon per every five gallons.

I was planning on using regular aquarium salt. Is the salt for stress relief any different?

#29 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

I was planning on using regular aquarium salt. Is the salt for stress relief any different?

salt with no additives is what you want to use. It should read "Ingredients : salt". And that's it. It is the same stuff in "Aquarium Salt" sold at your LFS. And to answer your question, no, same salt.

#30 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:35 PM

salt with no additives is what you want to use. It should read "Ingredients : salt". And that's it. It is the same stuff in "Aquarium Salt" sold at your LFS. And to answer your question, no, same salt.

Ok thanks. I'll add some salt and stress coat and see how it works out. Thanks to everyone for all of your help.

#31 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:33 PM

Ya the aquarium salt from my lfs says it is 100% evaporated sea salt. I was just checking to make sure we were talking about the same salt. Hopefully this will help him recover. Keep us posted.

#32 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:57 PM

Ya the aquarium salt from my lfs says it is 100% evaporated sea salt. I was just checking to make sure we were talking about the same salt. Hopefully this will help him recover. Keep us posted.

Well, my grandmother put Ick Guard and it actually helped. His fin and mouth are starting to heal. What does this stuff have in it?

#33 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:07 PM

Most ick medications also treat any secondary infections that may be a result of Ick. Maybe he had an infection or maybe the medication contains some ingredient helpful to healing. It would still be a good idea to add some stress coat if you want to. Glad to hear that the Ick guard might have worked!

#34 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:10 PM

Most ick medications also treat any secondary infections that may be a result of Ick. Maybe he had an infection or maybe the medication contains some ingredient helpful to healing. It would still be a good idea to add some stress coat if you want to. Glad to hear that the Ick guard might have worked!

Yeah, I'm adding some salt and Stress Coat as well. Is 1 tspn/5g a good amount?

#35 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

Hmm try a little more than a teaspoon. Like i said my box of salt says one tablespoon per 5 gallons. Mabye go with a half tablespoon per 5 gallons.

#36 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:20 PM

Hmm try a little more than a teaspoon. Like i said my box of salt says one tablespoon per 5 gallons. Mabye go with a half tablespoon per 5 gallons.

Ok. I'll try it. Maybe it'll get healed up by this weekend. [-o<

#37 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:24 PM

K good luck with him! :cool2:

#38 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:37 PM

Ok. He's getting a little bit better. How long should it take for it to heal?

#39 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:14 PM

Well an injury like that to his mouth and to the fin ray would probably take a little longer than a fin or another more easily healed part. As long as youre sure hes getting better thats all that matters. Are you doing normal doses of the ick guard?

#40 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:00 PM

Well an injury like that to his mouth and to the fin ray would probably take a little longer than a fin or another more easily healed part. As long as youre sure hes getting better thats all that matters. Are you doing normal doses of the ick guard?

Not really. I don't really know how often to add it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users