Sunfish under 4" tl for a 33 gal Long tank

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:24 PM

Hello,

I am thinking of converting my 33 gallon long tank into a smaller sunfish tank (not pygmy sunfish that is my 20 gal L). The species I was interested in are:

Enneacanthurus obesus - Banded Sunfish
Enneacanthus gloriosus - Blue Spotted Sunfish
Enneacanthurus chaetodon - Black Banded Sunfish
and another that I saw posted the other day but missed its name. It was I think an orangebreasted sunfish???

Anyways, how many of these could I keep in a 33 gallon tank? Could I mix species in there and have a few but still have them breed? I know that the aquaculturestore.com gets three of them in throughout the year, but the orange breasted (as I think I remember) I haven't seen yet? I think it would be cool to have a couple (3?) of two species in the tank?

Basically any information that can be given will be greatly appreciated( like tank setup/tankmates?/food to feed them/cleaner crew?)

Thanks Again and once I get enough feed back based on what type of decor they like, I can sketch up a few designs and post something to have you guys vote on.

NV

#2 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:04 PM

and another that I saw posted the other day but missed its name. It was I think an orangebreasted sunfish???

Lepomis humilis - Orangespotted sunfish? They grow up to 6".

#3 Guest_octavio_*

Guest_octavio_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:07 PM

You can go with 4 banded, 4 bluespotted and 4 blackbandeds, so you have a better chance of getting a pairof each, If you want them to breed. I would put lots of plants and some drift wood with java moss on it, this worked for me.

#4 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:29 AM

Maybe in a little larger tank you could mix in either Orangespotted (Lepomis humilis) or Bantam sunfish (L. symetricus) with the three E. species but in that size I would stick to those three.

#5 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the replies,

just to clerify, the tank is 48x12x12. what kind of plants would you recommend? I can easily do cambomba seeing it is very common around here. Driftwood is also easy to find now that I am going to the Wisconsin River this weekend and cutting what I want.

So if I got 4 of each of the following:

Enneacanthurus obesus - Banded Sunfish
Enneacanthus gloriosus - Blue Spotted Sunfish
Enneacanthurus chaetodon - Black Banded Sunfish

Those 12 fish would be fine in that tank? then when pairs come out I can swap out some of the odd fish?

Thanks again for replies, more info would also be great on feeding.

#6 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:15 PM

Thanks again for replies, more info would also be great on feeding.

I've found sunfish really like mealworms. They're about the cheapest live food you'll find, and very easy to raise yourself. I'll write up my methods sometime, but there are a lot of websites that tell how it's done. Use carrots for moisture for mealworms -- that's my $0.02.

#7 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:28 PM

mealworms are easy to raise a group of, but doesn't it normally stink? lol I will probablly have to do that, this tank won't be set up fully for another year or so seeing I currently do not have the space to set it up where I am currently residing. I just like to plan stuff out and get my information straight before taking on the project.

#8 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:48 PM

mealworms are easy to raise a group of, but doesn't it normally stink? lol I will probablly have to do that, this tank won't be set up fully for another year or so seeing I currently do not have the space to set it up where I am currently residing. I just like to plan stuff out and get my information straight before taking on the project.

No, there's really no noticeable odor from mealworms if you keep them right (and dispose of waste occasionally). I've had them indoors for about 3 years with no complaints from significant others or coworkers. I keep them in legal-size paper trays (Sterilite brand, for storing printer paper in.) Works great -- never had problems with escapes from the open drawers as long as I don't let the level of wheat bran or waste build up too high

#9 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

Some advice about keeping all three of the Enneacanthus...

I wouldn't keep more than a pair or trio of each and I wouldn't mix the different species unless you have a larger tank. The bandeds and bluespotted are more aggressive than the blackbandeds and will out compete them. I had a hard enough time keeping different sizes of blackbandeds.

I currently have a sexed pair of OSS in a 20gL. I used to have two others but they were picked on like no other so had to be removed.

If you go with the numbers you are talking about, be prepared to move fish out.

#10 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:13 PM

Some advice about keeping all three of the Enneacanthus...

I wouldn't keep more than a pair or trio of each and I wouldn't mix the different species unless you have a larger tank. The bandeds and bluespotted are more aggressive than the blackbandeds and will out compete them. I had a hard enough time keeping different sizes of blackbandeds.

If you go with the numbers you are talking about, be prepared to move fish out.

Thank you for the infomation,

I would like your imput if I were to keep the blue spotted/bandeds together. Those two species were the ones in particular I have been looking into. Would they interbreed causing hybrids? I have seen some nice pictures of both, I just don't want to over crowd the tank or have too much stress on the fish. I would like to keep a breeding group of both if possible, and if you had any suggestions on where to find the banded sunfish that would be great (whether it is to purchase or find) and how many of each if only the two species were kept?

Thanks so much both of you who responded since my last thanks!

#11 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

Thank you for the infomation,

I would like your imput if I were to keep the blue spotted/bandeds together. Those two species were the ones in particular I have been looking into. Would they interbreed causing hybrids? I have seen some nice pictures of both, I just don't want to over crowd the tank or have too much stress on the fish. I would like to keep a breeding group of both if possible, and if you had any suggestions on where to find the banded sunfish that would be great (whether it is to purchase or find) and how many of each if only the two species were kept?

Thanks so much both of you who responded since my last thanks!

I wouldn't see a problem with keeping those two together. There are reports of hybrids but I have yet to see anything concrete so I doubt they would.

I would just do a trio of each if you are trying to get them to breed.

Banded sunfish are hard to come by. I believe NJ just passed legislation banning collection of them. If they make it to the market they won't last long.

#12 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:52 PM

Thank you so much for the information!

#13 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:17 PM

Just a thought- if you decide not to go with Enneacanthus, that would also be a great setup for pirate perch. They're somewhat similar in body plan and voracity to sunfish. I'm not sure if they're compatible with the Enneacanthus or not.

#14 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:02 PM

I would have to say I personally have not had any trouble with keeping a group of all three E. species all in the same tank. They have done well together all winter in a heavily planted 40 breeder. I plan to move them to an outdoor pond in the next couple of days where they will spend the summer.

#15 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:08 AM

Ok, thanks guys,

I think I am going to start out getting just the banded sunfish just because they are the hardest to come by. I think in a few months I will be starting to purchase them. I first need to sell off a few cichlids before doing that.

What type of plants do you guys use with these types of fish??

#16 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:53 PM

Would it be possible to keep a trio or a quad of a single species in a planted/driftwood 20 gal L with a sponge filter?

I have a connectiong that can get me the banded.

Was also wondering if bantams could live in a 20 gal long or with the banded or bluespotted sunfish?

#17 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:35 PM

Would it be possible to keep a trio or a quad of a single species in a planted/driftwood 20 gal L with a sponge filter?

I have a connectiong that can get me the banded.

Was also wondering if bantams could live in a 20 gal long or with the banded or bluespotted sunfish?

One E. species would probably go well in a planted 20. I think it may be a little small to have those and bantams in the same tank.

#18 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:07 AM

How do bantams behave?

#19 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:26 PM

They are probably about the least aggressive of the lepomis species but they are still a lepomis species wich means they do show some agression.

#20 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:44 PM

I have banded and bluespotted together and I like it. The bandeds are much more likely to stay out in the open which brings out the bluespots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users