Frecklebelly

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:21 AM

Right, but you mention the extreme cases, and also species that we cannot collect due to their USFWS status. So these protected species are not germane to this discussion. I do not advocate breaking the law.

Tom, you leave yourself open to nitpicking about collecting have no real impact. That isn't the case for some extremely endemic species, such as Devil's Hole Pupfish or Barrens Topminnow, where the effective breeding population is very low. I could see a devil's argument being made to keep, say, flame chubs; they're disappearing spring by spring system, so keep (or at least observe) a few today while they're still around. But your bottom argument is right, that people should observe nature so that they can better understand and enjoy it. If you want to study nature, study nature, not books...

#22 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

Bravo Blake! You are the man, and you take great photos......keep doing your part.

I completely agree with many of the points said in this conversation. If it takes a threatened or vulnerable species like the beautiful Percina aurantiaca or Pteronotropis weleka to get somebody interested in native fishes, then so be it. I hardly start to get worried about a fishes protection when people show up to the stream with an interest in the fish, I get worried when the bulldozers show up....

Blake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users