125 gallon native tank

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:14 PM

I am going to check into some online stuff when I return to the states.....The internet conection here at my hotel is very slow.....so it would take me forever to look into it......

#42 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

here is my first attempt at taking a video with my camera.......I have added a pair of pike cichlids....they are holding in the tank until the 90 gallon is ready for them.....

Posted Image

#43 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:39 PM

this tank is awesome beyond belief!

#44 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:12 PM

I have not posted any updates in a while so here are a few new pics of the fish....I will get some tank shots up soon......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#45 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:13 PM

this tank is awesome beyond belief!

Thanks for the complement.....Its a work in Progress

#46 Guest_LiquidPyro33_*

Guest_LiquidPyro33_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

Absolutly Beautiful looking tank!

#47 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:42 PM

Absolutly Beautiful looking tank!

Thanks.....It has not been getting much attention over the holidays but I am back at it now....:)

#48 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

Here is a tank shot I took tonight.....I did a huge trim on the tank today....I have to trim above the water line every week or the plants grow up to the lights

Posted Image

#49 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

now that I have taken the crayfish out....the plants in the tank are comming back....I wish the rusty crayfish would of worked out...

#50 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

Magnificent! It looks so natural yet very clean. How do you keep the algae under control and keep it so clean? Serious elbow grease? Thanks for sharing.

#51 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

I dont get a whole lot of algae. I use proper aquarium care and fert dosing....I clean the glass once a month......and I try to do a 30% water change every other week....I should be doing it every week but I just don't get to it that often. I have a little algae on the plants but that will be taken care of now that I have the ferts I ran out of.... I am getting some new fish tomorrow and plan on quarinting them in a 90 gallon for a couple of months before I add them to the new tank.....I still have not been able to locate a pickerel but I am working on it......

#52 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:48 PM

I am suprised you had such success with the plants with the choice in substrate. I never had good experiences with plain gravel. My current tank was soil based substrate but I moved and replaced it with Eco-Complete. The soil was just too messy when I had to prune the plants, or basically anytime it had to be stirred up even a little. Not to mention the constant need for filter material changes that would become saturated with mud in days.

Just set up the tank again tonight with the Eco-Complete.

#53 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

I do use root tabs....and I use seachem's liquid ferts

#54 Guest_brynneth_*

Guest_brynneth_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:29 PM

That is an absolutely fantastic aquarium. Sort of what I dream my tanks will look like someday... and you have maintained it really nicely over time.

#55 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

You have a very nice native aquarium. Definitely very impressed. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by lozgod, 29 January 2010 - 09:38 PM.

#56 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for the comments.

I have been having some issues with keeping the water paramiters stable. My ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate has been off the charts. After doing 40% water changes twice a week there are no visable signs of ammonia or nitrite. The nitrate is down to about 20ppm.

I am linking the issues to having so many large fish in a small 125 gallon tank. Unfortunatly a larger tank is not in the plans for the near future. I also think feeding raw foods three times a week is a factor. I am going to cut back on the feeding to twice a week and see how things go.

I am also planing on reworking the aqua scape a bit. The tank is just not looking visualy balanced to me. I am thinking of moving the crinum really bothers me where it currently sitting.... I am thinking of moving it to the left corner of the tank. Btw when I purchased it I was told it was a calamistratum. I am thinking it is actually a natans. Any thoughts on this?

#57 Guest_slimbolen99_*

Guest_slimbolen99_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:14 AM

What an amazing tank! Great job keeping up on it. It's nice to see the progression.

#58 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:30 AM

I'm working like hell to get my tank back to it's former glory and looking at your tank's progression is motivation for sure. Thanks again for posting the pics.

#59 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

Some updated pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#60 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:12 PM

That is really beautiful. Got any shots of what it looks like just before cleaning? I'm recently coming to understand how well higher plants can out-compete algae in an aquarium, but it's still amazing to see a tank that looks like it could be absolutely furry with algae so crisp and clean. I'm assuming no snails? Snails plus bullheads and certain sunfish don't mix too well.

Anything else you'd like to share about maintenance or setup would be great. It is nice to see what can be achieved without a complex and expensive substrate.

Also surprising to see how little tannins there appear to be in the water with that amount of wood. (Not that tannins are necessarily a bad thing.)

Edited by jase, 12 March 2010 - 02:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users