would like a positive ID

26 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:40 PM

This is kind of an older post but I think I can illustrate a very definitive answer quite well...

The fish in question is a southern brown bullhead. They look very different from those that are found further north. The spotted bullhead has a very distinct dark base to the dorsal fin and the spots are more uniform in appearance over the whole body. I had a spotted bullhead several years ago and the following 2 pictures are of that fish, Note the distinct dark base to the dorsal fin and the uniform coverage of round shaped spots...

Spotted_Bullhead_from_the_Suwanee_River_in_Florida_by_BZ.jpg
Spotted_bullhead2_from_the_Suwanee_River_in_Florida_by_JZ.jpg

I also had a flat bullhead at about the same time. They also have the distinct dark base to the dorsal fin and some what of a mottled pattern on the side but are more brown in appearance unlike the black with silver-whitish spots of the spotted.

Flat_Bullhead_from_a_private_pond_in_northern_Georgia.jpg

I currently have a southern brown just like the fish in question... These are quite often found in LFS feeder tanks. I just shot these photos 10 minutes ago and did them in a hurry just for this post so they are not that great. Notice the randomly shaped and more unevenly distributed silver-whitish spots on a very dark almost black background. Also there is not a distinctly dark base to the dorsal fin.

sb1.JPG
sb2.JPG
sb3.JPG

Finally again not that great of a picture but this is a northern brown bullhead from Ohio, they are very differnt looking from the southern version of the same species...

brown_bullhead1_mouth_Maumee_River_4_17_06_by_BZ.jpg

#22 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:11 PM

those pict are 100% on

im sold on the brown bullhead id (southern variety)

thanks guys

#23 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:46 PM

BullheadsRDfish told youse guys it was a brown. Why would you even doubt a guy with a handle like that? One thing I can tell you with 100% certainty (beats my 90%!), is that if Dan says it is bullhead "X", then that is what it is. If he says it's a hybrid bullhead - well, then it's a damn hybrid :evil: When it comes to bullheads he is the reigning authority.

#24 Guest_sunnyman97_*

Guest_sunnyman97_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:14 PM

I wish i had catfish that nice around me!

#25 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:18 PM

Looks like a snail bullhead

#26 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

Looks like a snail bullhead

Nah, the snail bullhead don't have much spots. The fish in question is just Southern brown bullhead in silver spotted version.

#27 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:02 PM

I figured I throw that in to stir the pot since nobody mentioned the snail

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users