Roanoke Drainage, VA + NC sampling

53 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't mess with the red shiners. They are on VA's restricted list.

#42 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:25 PM

Just wanted to bump this in case anyone else wanted to join the trip.

#43 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:44 PM

Drew, what's your current thinking on the schedule/itinerary for each day? (Assuming no heavy rain the rest of this week).

Just wanted to bump this in case anyone else wanted to join the trip.

#44 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:58 PM

Drew, what's your current thinking on the schedule/itinerary for each day? (Assuming no heavy rain the rest of this week).

We are going to meet up Saturday morning around South Boston, VA. There are a couple of spots that we can hit on or near the Dan in that area. We are then going to head NW towards Roanoke and hit locations on the way. I think we may end up in Martinsville for the night which shouldn't leave us a long drive to meet you guys in NC if you don't join us for Saturday.

We can meet early Sunday morning at that location Fritz mentioned. It shouldn't take us no more than an hour to get down there if we do end up in Martinsville. I can work with Fritz Saturday night on getting locations for Sunday. But if there are specific locations that you want to go to, let me know. Not counting your kids, we may a total of 8 on Sunday.

#45 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:25 PM

I just received permission for Saturday. Do we have an exact meeting location?

I won't be keeping any fish this time. Don't have any tanks set up. Just along for the ride, and maybe for some plants.

#46 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

On Sunday, I'm thinking about 2 spots on Dan, maybe snorkeling in Smith or Mayo if water is clear and then 1-2 spots for P. oreas and F. rathbuni. But if y'all want to do something different, tha'ts fine. I've seen all of these guys and just want to get out with my buds.

#47 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

I'm trying to find a good spot to meet, but we want to be near Cluster Springs, VA. I need to talk to Derek to see when he can leave which will determine the meeting time Saturday morning. If the southern guys go Friday night, we'll try to be there as early as possible. Also, that would give us a good place to meet, that is wherever they stay. Don't forget, bring the snorkel gear!

#48 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

The park in Danbury that Fritz mentioned is called Moratock Park. Heading north on NC-8/NC-89 into Danbury, turn right on Sheppard Mill Rd (SR-1652), cross the river and the park is right there. Or, we could do the Mayo River near Mayodan first, a little closer than Danbury. I think I remember some riffles at that lowermost bridge just above the Dan confluence.

#49 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

Ok, meeting places :

Saturday @ 9am : Parking lot of Village Cafe in Cluster Springs, 6066 Huell Matthews Hwy, South Boston, VA

Sunday @ 9am : Moratock Park in Danbury, NC

Moratock Park Access, Dan River Trail, Town of Danbury, NC. From NC Highway 89 travel east on Sheppard Mill Road, for less than 0.5 miles. Cross the Dan River. Both sides of Sheppard Mill Road are in Moratock Park. At the east end of the bridge turn right on unpaved one-lane track lined with dogwood trees, continuing 0.5 miles to boat landing steps. On left see the 1843 Moratock Iron Furnace and North Carolina Civil War Trail marker.

My cell phone number can be found on the website NANFA website, under Regional Outreach.

#50 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:13 PM

Ok, meeting places :

Saturday @ 9am : Parking lot of Village Cafe in Cluster Springs, 6066 Huell Matthews Hwy, South Boston, VA

Sunday @ 9am : Moratock Park in Danbury, NC

Moratock Park Access, Dan River Trail, Town of Danbury, NC. From NC Highway 89 travel east on Sheppard Mill Road, for less than 0.5 miles. Cross the Dan River. Both sides of Sheppard Mill Road are in Moratock Park. At the east end of the bridge turn right on unpaved one-lane track lined with dogwood trees, continuing 0.5 miles to boat landing steps. On left see the 1843 Moratock Iron Furnace and North Carolina Civil War Trail marker.

My cell phone number can be found on the website NANFA website, under Regional Outreach.

actually on Sunday turn left after going over the bridge. large parking lot. this is a popular swimming hole so want to do our thing and leave before the after church crowd gets there.

#51 Guest_eLeMeNt_*

Guest_eLeMeNt_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

I won't be able to make this trip after all.

I'll get out with you guys sometime this century.

#52 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:13 PM

Is there anybody who is coming on Sunday that would like two Dollar Sunfish, 2.5 - 3 inch from Rockingham NC in the PeeDee basin?
Larger one is male, smaller one i'm not sure. They are NOT buddies and will need to be kept apart initially, perhaps with a screen divider until they get used to each other.

#53 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:37 PM

I'd love those dollar sunfish if no one else has claimed them already...

#54 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

For Dan River report goto : http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=8097

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users