Rock Bass, Pumpkinseed Hybrid?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_LiquidPyro33_*

Guest_LiquidPyro33_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

I picked up a sunfish recently as well, from the North Bay area in Ontario, I just kind of thought it was a "blue gill" however it looks very similar to the picture posted, my question is how many types of sunfish are in Ontario?

green sunfish
blue gill
pumpkinseed

thanks

#42 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

well, of lepomis species;
Warmouth- limited to isolated populations on the shoreline of Lake Erie
Pumpkinseed- most widespread lepomis in Ontario, occurs throughout all of S. and Central Ontario, part of NW. Ontario
Bluegill- similar to Pumpkinseed, doesnt extend as far north in Central Ontario
Green Sunfish- Most of S. Ontario (entends further inland than Longears, but very small isolated population near Kingston), and a stretch from between Lake Superior and the Manitoba border in NW. Ontario
Orangespotted Sunfish- limited to extreme SW. Ontario, within 50km of Windsor
Longear Sunfish- Similar range to Green Sunfish, although somewhat different range in S. Ontario (more towards Lakes Erie and Huron [and S. Georgian Bay], and isolated populations in Kawartha Lakes, near Belleville, and along St.Lawrence River within 100km of Quebec border)

Edited by panfisherteen, 29 August 2009 - 07:39 PM.

#43 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:40 PM

well, of lepomis species;
Warmouth- limited to isolated populations on the shoreline of Lake Erie
Pumpkinseed- most widespread lepomis in Ontario, occurs throughout all of S. and Central Ontario, part of NW. Ontario
Bluegill- similar to Pumpkinseed, doesnt extend as far north in Central Ontario
Green Sunfish- Most of S. Ontario (entends further inland than Longears, but very small isolated population near Kingston), and a stretch from between Lake Superior and the Manitoba border in NW. Ontario
Orangespotted Sunfish- limited to extreme SW. Ontario, within 50km of Windsor
Longear Sunfish- Similar range to Green Sunfish, although somewhat different range in S. Ontario (more towards Lakes Erie and Huron [and S. Georgian Bay], and isolated populations in Kawartha Lakes, near Belleville, and along St.Lawrence River within 100km of Quebec border)

:rolleyes:

genus lepomis

#44 Guest_LiquidPyro33_*

Guest_LiquidPyro33_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

awesome thanks

#45 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:20 PM

o, and i considered southern ontario as up to roughly Port Severn (30 min north of barrie) south, and central from there to a point from Sault St.Marie straight across

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users