feeder guppies

22 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:00 AM

Obviously you hadn't been abusing them enough over the summer to get them ready.

Haha. Certainly not that cold...but maybe something that would be ok going into the 50's?

I have some feeder guppies running around in assorted boxes here and water dipping down to the 60's and below has caused large losses of the adults. Curiously, the fry seem unaffected.

Might Heterandria formosa make a better coldwater feeder? I recall they bred quite slowly in comparison...but at least they are not cannibals like Gambusia are.

#22 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:26 AM

They don't get very big either, obviously. They will survive water in the fifties, although I assume the breeding rate suffers.

#23 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

Haha. Certainly not that cold...but maybe something that would be ok going into the 50's?

I'm pretty sure gambusia will survive just fine down into the 50s and even lower, but I don't think they'll breed at low temperatures (not sure that guppies will, either). I had a few gambusia in a shallow outdoor tub a couple years ago, and they seemed to do just fine even when the tub got a thin skin of ice a couple nights as it got into Fall.

I had a pretty extensive thread a couple years back about my attempts to raise gambusia as feeder fish:
http://forum.nanfa.o...p-for-gambusia/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users